What's new

Which of these will be a better storage for my rotation?

Soon to be having 9 soaps in my rotation, and I love everything to be standardise, therefore I would like to have the same soap bowl for every soap I own, I wonder which will be a better option?

The Ikea Grundtal:
proxy.php

Or a normal wooden bowl?
proxy.php

The only thing that I see different is the air-tight lid and the non air-tight lid. Any comments or opinion will be greatly appreciated.

All depends if your going to display the soaps. If so and you have the room go for the wooden bowls. If not, go with the tins.

All depends if your going to display the soaps. If so and you have the room go for the wooden bowls. If not, go with the tins.

Thanks for the reply, I'm not so worried about the display, but more on the soap shelf-life and storage condition.

I wouldn't worry too much about shelf-life and storage. Many soaps come in non-airtight packages such as Tabac, Mitchell's Wool Fat, Saponificio Varesino, and others. They don't seem to have any problems. Even Old Spice was not sealed--the most it had was a thin plastic cover that was not air-tight.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
The wood bowls look way nicer. The tins will help the soap keep better, maybe. I have several English Triple Milled soaps in their wood bowls, some 5 or 6 years old; I think they smell and perform the same as when new. Go for the wood, it's prettier

I have both and mugs. I don't prefer one over the other. My grundtals are a little hard to close and open. The threading seems to be a bit off. They stack very well though. I think if you like uniform those might be your best bet.

I had a couple of soaps that came in tins (not ikea). I didn't like the tins. They became difficult to open & close after a while. I have 4 soaps in wood bowls. Bowls are ok for loading, and not being air-tight isn't a problem with hard soaps, but they don't stack well. I happen to like Pyrex bowls, just don't drop them.

What about purchasing empty plastic soap containers from Stirling soap and perhaps their waterproof labels. They also sell metal tins in two sizes.

Sent via Tapatalk from phone

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The Snap-Locks are working well for me.

Tins rust. Glass shatters. You can forget what's in which, if you can't see through.

They stack like gangbusters, and you can load them out of the storage bowl.

AA

Last edited by a moderator:
The Snap-Locks are working well for me.

Tins rust. Glass shatters. You can forget what's in which, if you can't see through.

They stack like gangbusters, and you can load them out of the storage bowl.

AA

Those look fantastic. What brand are they and where did you purchase them?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Those look fantastic. What brand are they and where did you purchase them?

There's another thread going on ... got the idea over there, I think.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...uly-Air-amp-Scent-tight?p=8256162#post8256162

I wanted the Ikea ones initially, but don't have one near / hate paying shipping.

Amazon has these Lock-Ups (sorry I got the name wrong above). Dozen delivered with Prime was $16, I think.

Here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/Household-Ess...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

AA

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I'd go for the wooden bowls for hard soaps and the Ikea metal containers for soft soaps. Triple-milled soaps do not need to be kept sealed, while soft soaps will certainly prefer an air-tight tin. As always, IMHO.

There's another thread going on ... got the idea over there, I think.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...uly-Air-amp-Scent-tight?p=8256162#post8256162

I wanted the Ikea ones initially, but don't have one near / hate paying shipping.

Amazon has these Lock-Ups (sorry I got the name wrong above). Dozen delivered with Prime was $16, I think.

Here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/Household-Ess...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

AA

Thanks! Much appreciated!

Another $0.02 for the pot
Long Term.. will you be able to find the wooden bowls or tins or snap-lock jars to match the ones you have now.

If you want them all to match, think to the future.

I'm just hazarding a guess that your current count of 9 soaps is not a fixed number and might possibly expand.. like to 99 :thumbup:

There are positives and negatives to both of your choices. I have the Ikea Grundtal containers and what I do like about them is that they are stainless. I removed the magnets from the bottom of mine and they stack quite nicely. Size wise they work quite well. Negatives are that they aren't always perfectly round and as a result I do have some lids that stick or don't lock closed. A small inconvenience considering that I do really like them.

With the wood bowls I can't see the dimensions but they look like they could be a little small and there is the air tight thing. With the lids being rounded I can see stacking them being a problem.

I'd skip anything glass as it's only a matter of time before handling these with wet soapy hands leads to you dropping one.

If I had a do over and was choosing what to store my soaps in, knowing what I know now, I'd likely seek out the manufacturer of the larger 5 inch by 1.25 inch (guessing on size) tubs that Barrister & Mann uses for their soaps. I think that these are about the perfect size, very stackable with acceptable durability. They aren't as attractive as your other options but my soaps are stored inside a closet on a shelf so that doesn't matter to me.

The comment about having them all match is useful as well. Whatever you choose don't buy only what you need for what you have now but buy enough that you can add more soaps down the road and still have them all match.

I've used both the Grundtal stainless & wooden bowls. The nicest by far, for me, are the new wide and shallow jars from Maggards. Well built PETF, airtight, with wonderful threading. Flat and stack beautifully.[emoji1376]

proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom