What's new

vintage closed comb DE

I need some advice from the great people/ experts here. i have a tech from 1965 and a NEW SC. I'm looking for a vintage closed comb razor that is a little more aggressive cutting than a tech. That is; cuts a little better but is still smooth on the face. To me aggression does not mean rough. The hair at the corners of my lips and chin are thick and twisty and at the corners very hard to remove without many passes and irritation. The NEW is great but doesn't quite do the job and I don't wan't a zamack head - I've had several screw break. Your suggestions are welcome

Some suggestions:

Red Tip Superspeed / Rocket
An adjustable (Slim / Fatboy / Black beauty)
A pre-war Tech (Triangular slots)
A flat bottom Tech (made in England)
Rocket HD.

I would suggest that you don't exclude open combs as an open comb could maybe be even better, something like the NEW Deluxe which is nice and efficient.

I have areas of concern, I have to attack those areas like a ninja, while other areas cuts easily.

My two favorite razors are the NEW SC and postwar Tech('51).

I use these two razor and place my efforts on softening my beard. A different razor isn't going to make much of a difference if your "hair" is difficult to cut.

I never used a 65 tech, if it's the Zamak cap ones. Try the postwar Tech, it's brass. I use it daily.

I should note the adjustables and other TTO's and I don't get along. I've sold those. I've read here that the piccolo is very aggressive,more so than the NEW SC. How about the fatip gentile? Again your advice is much appreciated.

I should note the adjustables and other TTO's and I don't get along.
I understand these words, but organised in this way they make no sence...

Honestly the TTO range is very vast and varied, I wouldn't write them off just yet. Additionally I think there's more at play an just the razor choice, working on your prep and technique will pay off in your situation.

Just looked up the Rockwell - over $100 shipped. A little too much. I've tried the Super slim, super speed and flare tip ;I must say for methe three piece razors are more efficient. All of your suggestions are great.

I think I may stick with the NEW. I don't want to be a victim of RAD. I have enough physical health problems. I don't want to wind up on the psychiatrist's couch with 50 razors in one hand and and pucks,tubes and brushes in the other while men in white coats drag me away to the funny farm lol.

I should note the adjustables and other TTO's and I don't get along. I've sold those. I've read here that the piccolo is very aggressive,more so than the NEW SC. How about the fatip gentile? Again your advice is much appreciated.

For some reason I almost always miss a spot under my nose with the TTOs but with the 3 piece razors it's not an issue. Different geometry and blade angle I guess.

For some reason I almost always miss a spot under my nose with the TTOs but with the 3 piece razors it's not an issue. Different geometry and blade angle I guess.
Yes that's one issue I have with the TTO's; they're just too thick in the head. Thank you everyone for your help. I love this community!

Ill throw a curveball. Be adventurous and get a vintage Schich E-2 or later injector. Loaded with Chinese-made Schick blades they give a smooth close shave.

Top Bottom