What's new

Meathead: The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The cookbook has been out for a few days now.

The only other thread that I've found about MeatHead is here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/410458-Opinions-on-Meathead

I was able to read a few reviews on Amazon dot com : http://www.amazon.com/Meathead-Science-Great-Barbecue-Grilling/dp/054401846X

Usually, Amazon allows me to see the table of contents, a few pages, etc. For this one, I couldn't find a site that will display what I could find in the book. I may have to check my local store if I can have a look.

I often reference the Aaron Franklin book. I do agree that Franklin did not put a lot of recipes in his book but, for the "how-to", it's a winner. I would still recommend his cookbook, it's a great reference: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/462585-Franklin-Barbecue-Book

I see that Meathead Goldwyn has 100 recipes but, is I can't believe that a 400 pages book contains 100 recipes. So, what's in there? Can I learn something else in there compared to Franklin's book?

I would like to know if someone here actually bought the book and read it?

I use his website quite a bit. He's a great compendium of knowledge. Compared to Franklin, Meathead is a bit more like Alton Brown in that he explains the whys and why nots in more detail.

I haven't bought his book, but it's on my list simply based on the usefulness of his website.

Luc

Staff member
Mmm, seems like my local bookstore sells the book online but does not have a single copy around me... Sounds like I may need to get one...

Luc

Staff member
I bought one, I should receive it next week. I will post back about it.

Just FYI, the word compendium actually connotes information that is shared in a concise manner, although the word is often misused in the sense of encyclopedic.

I use his website quite a bit. He's a great compendium of knowledge. Compared to Franklin, Meathead is a bit more like Alton Brown in that he explains the whys and why nots in more detail.

I haven't bought his book, but it's on my list simply based on the usefulness of his website.
I love his site! I am a member of the Pit club because I need to support any site I have taken so much away from, come to think of it I need to figure out how to support Badger & Blade.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Luc

Staff member
I got the book. It will take me a bit of time to get my head around it.

It pretty much starts with a few myths to be demystified, then we move on to what to use. After that, there are sections for beef, pork, chicken, lamb, fish, etc.

I did not look that much at amazingribs.com, but, from what I saw in the book, most of those recipes seems to come from the website. If you are like me, I like having a book instead of consulting a recipe on a screen. I can't say that 100% of what's in the book is also on the website.

I would say it's a good book. It also comes with a 3 months for free on amazing ribs.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've looked over the website a bit, and I'm curious about the book. I look forward to your scouting report, Luc.

Luc

Staff member
I will try to put some notes and expand a bit on what you can actually find in the book if that can help someone.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
If nothing else, it will help me let folks know what might bring a smile to my face on Father's Day! :w00t:

Luc

Staff member
First usage of the book that came handy. Smoke and Fire!

Let me explain, I made a piece of pull pork yesterday. I didn't do much different except that I used a lot of mesquite. I love mesquite. It's a great taste IMO. Anyways, I had some of that white smoke going up instead of the invisible/blue smoke. I didn't think much of it but I kept adding mesquite during the burn session and ended up wrapping at a much later time.

Well, I ended up with a bitter meat. Nothing super bad, enough to be annoying. So, I went back and watched Franklin's episode 5 on smoke and fire. He does explain the differences on the different type of smokes but does not really explain how to get one smoke over the other. Meathead on the other hand does explain the smoke and how to achieve it. Also, his chapter is a bit scary on what you can find in a bag of lump charcoal (what I use).

What I can conclude from Meathead book is that one or many of the following situations are the issue:
  • Lump charcoal, I have a bad bag and it's not wood that I'm burning or the process of transforming wood into charcoal is incomplete. It could also be that the incomplete transformation is on a piece of wood that had a treatement like a varnish for flooring
  • Briquettes are supposed to be more consistent (I never used those and he mentions that it's a can of worms to start with : Lump vs Briquettes)
  • The mesquite was too green to be used. This one would be surprising as I bought it in a bag but it's not the one I buy usually. Wood is wood no? I normally get a bag of Weber mesquite but had the opportunity to buy something else, needed something to get free shipping and that did it. I was under the impression that wood that was sold in a bag was ready to use. Anyways, Meathead recommends using 2 pieces of wood maximum and stick to charcoal after that.
  • Airflow was bad. I normally close the vents a bit and leave it open between 25% and 50% when smoking. Choking the fire too much can create that white smoke. Maybe I had too much wood in there causing a spike in temperature. I did yo-yo between 225F and 300F during the afternoon which is not good.
  • Clean the BBQ! I recently removed all the ash. I sometimes burn any fat drippings that are at the bottom (without anything in it) but that could be a reason why it created white smoke also (i.e. old fat dripping burned). I doubt it as I always place my meat on the same side and my fire on the other so it doesn't have to be exposed one to another.
  • Placed the meat too quickly in the Q. I started the fire and almost immediately placed my meat once the fire was started instead of waiting a good 15 mins for the coals to be ready.
  • I think that's it (enough!)

Now, don't get me wrong, Franklin did explain a few things. However, Meathead's book seems more complete on the chapter. I'm going back to Franklin's book to read that chapter. We are expecting big winds and thunderstorms today, no weber today, not happy! :angry:

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
So, I tried my first recipe from the book over the week-end. I already used the Memphis dust with the Kansas City BBQ sauce on ribs before. Those were one of the best that I made. I really recommend it. But yesterday's recipe was Lamb!

I see that those recipes are available on Amazingribs.com but it's easier to have a paper copy for me.

I had a piece of lamb shoulder, I used the Dolly's Lamb Rub. The scent was fantastic. I think it's all that garlic that makes it good!

I made a snake for a 10hrs smoke session in the Grillmate (I had to switch from the weber as the wind was high and my 3 leg weber doesn't like wind). The grillmate has 4 legs, so more stable. I need to work on a frame thing to make the grillmate more solid as I'm afraid that one day it will collapse.

For the sauce, I used the Sunlite Kentucky Black Barbecue Sauce. This one is pretty much a 50/50 vinegar with Worcestershire (there's other things but the base is that).

It was different to when I eat my lamb. I made it go up to 203F. The crust was brilliant. The rub made this dish. The sauce was okay, I mean, I love a good vinegar sauce with a meat like lamb. I might have to use Franklin's vinegar bbq sauce next time.

Since no BBQ mention is complete without pictures, here they are.

4hrs in and end result (always homemade bun and slaw).

Attachments

• $IMG_2287.jpg
    $IMG_2287.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 106
  • $IMG_2288.jpg
    $IMG_2288.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I thought the folks in Kentucky called their black bbq sauce "dip".

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I thought the folks in Kentucky called their black bbq sauce "dip".

Not sure about the black stuff from Owensboro, but the Monroe County concoction of vinegar, lard and hot peppers is definitely called dip.

I've heard that in New York City they also call their BBQ sauce a dip, but they left out that there descriptor word before dip...sheep. :001_smile

That looks like a good book there, Luc. I go on the amazing ribs site quite a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom