What's new

Scotto

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
If everyone would please come to order. Thank you. Everyone please be seated. On behalf of all the Moderators here at B&B I would like express our thanks to you all for attending this very special evening.

As B&B's membership nears the 10,000 mark, the Moderators here at B&B feel it is appropriate to take this time to honor a member whose dedication and contributions to B&B are deserving of an honor of the highest order.

This member's high-caliber, energy-driven contributions played a major role in making B&B the shaving forum that it is today. He played an integral role in the establishment of the B&B Rules of Conduct as well as serving as one of the very first Moderators during the infancy of B&B.

This member's prodigious contributions to product review have come to reveal over 40 reviews in the categories of Shaving Soaps, Shaving Creams, Colognes, Aftershaves and Skin Care.

These reviews were not your garden variety review by any means. Many of these reviews were carefully-crafted short stories that captivated and entertained the reader with their stunning imagery and Hemingway-esque style best exemplified in his reviews of Floris Sandalwood Cologne and Czech & Speake No. 88 Cologne.

This member authored the Glycerin Soap Tutorials as well as a multi-part sticky addressing Lathering Techniques which has since been viewed over 16,000 times and has provided guidance, as well as enjoyment, to both new and experienced wet-shavers alike.

Aside from his numerous reviews, this once-prolific member was a regular contributor in the Speakeasy Forum wherein he developed such events as the Green Coffee Giveaway and the Pipe-Tobacco Pass Around.

In March of 2006 this member engineered the B&B Fragrance Train wherein he orchestrated the disbursement of numerous samples of Colognes and Aftershaves for distribution to any member who signed up to receive it.

This package of samples made its way out of New York and began a cross-country journey that continues to this day. The Fragrance Train has kept-a-rollin' for thousands of miles while traversing the United States for well over two years now.

An enormous part of this member's legacy, which is now part of B&B lore, is steeped in the invaluable service he provided to legions of B&B'ers in his development of the now legendary "Scotto's Samples".

The meticulous manner and professionalism in which these samples of colognes, aftershaves and shaving creams were assembled and the Herculean effort put forth by him were in a word: amazing.
full

The selection of scents and creams covered the gamut from high-end items to drug-store items providing the user with the widest range of items to sample thereby obviating the need acquire all these items with blind abandonment.

Aside from providing his array of talents in the areas of reviews, contributions to the Speakeasy, tutorials and providing Scotto Samples, his service as a Moderator set a high standard for all future moderators as Scotto exemplified fairness, decisiveness and swiftness.

The essence of his gentlemanly comportment, style and class are epitomized in the avatar that we have all come to know so well.

Sadly, in 2007, Scotto relinquished his full-time Moderator position to pursue other passions, but he maintains the status of Moderator Emeritus at B&B and serves with distinction.

It would be hard to comprehend what B&B would be like today without the seemlingly unending range of creative contributions made by Scotto to this forum. His influence continues to reverberate throughout B&B and his example continues to be a positive influence on all current and future members of B&B.

Before we award Scotto with this honorary title, the Mods thought the members here at B&B would be interested to know a little bit of background on this illustrious member. Therefore, without further ado, we give you:

THE STORY OF SCOTTO

Where does one begin to tell the story of Scotto?

At the behest of Cardinal Ximenez

full

Scotto's ancestors were invited to leave Europe. Thus began an epic journey across the Atlantic.

full

Their first home in the new land was modest, at best.

full

Through diligence and hard work, the Scottoes slowly began to climb the social ladder.

full

Young Scotto, however, was filled with pride. He refused to avail himself of the family fortune, and set out on his own. Times were tough.

full

He took on odd jobs, and tried his hand as a professional grappler.

full

His lack of size worked against him, and eventually took its toll.

full

The 60's were tailor made for Scotto. It was here that he first met Mrs. Scotto, who would bear him three sons, only one of whom would be named after your humble narrator.

full

Sadly, the hippie ideals were not embraced by all.

full

So they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly. San Francisco, actually.

full

where they found things to be only slightly better.

full

The ordeal aged them prematurely.

full

Battered but not beaten, Scotto was at a low point until a chance meeting at a local synagogue brought him face to face with a famous Jewish film star.

full

This was the opportunity Scott was looking for. He penned the phrase, "It's a business doing pleasure with you", and seemed poised to become the next big thing. Suddenly, tragedy struck.

full

Back at square one, Scotto returned to the only thing he was good at

full

and would eventually reemerge in a more recognizable form.

full

Soon he would discover B&B, and the rest, my friends, is history.

full

And so, there you have it. The story of Scotto.

The Moderators here at B&B are privileged to bestow this honorary B&B Meritorious Shaver Award to our esteemed colleague, SCOTTO.

Members of Badger and Blade, please welcome the newest member to the Merit Award Winners Gallery:

Scotto's avatar will now hang in the Merit Awards Gallery as its first Honorary Recipient of the Timmy.

Thank you all again for coming. We hope you have enjoyed another installation ceremony of the B&B Meritorious Shaver Award. We hope to see you all again in the not-to-distant future when we award another Timmy to another deserving member of B&B. Who knows? It could be you. :biggrin:

So from all of us here at B&B, I'm your host, Ouch, saying Good Night and drive home safely.

full

SCOTTO
Honorary Inductee​
full

IT IS ON THIS 7th Day of June, 2008 that the Moderators here at B&B induct Scotto into the Merit Award Winners Gallery as the inaugural Honorary Recipient of the B&B Meritorious Shaver Award. This honor is being awarded to Scotto in recognition of his being a B&B pioneer as well as for his outstanding contributions to all facets of B&B.

In recognition of Scotto's service as one of the first Moderators at B&B to his impact on the growth of B&B, the results of Scotto's magnanimous efforts at B&B are undeniable.

In the process of becoming one of B&B's most prolific and informative members, Scotto provided insightful tutorials and reviewed dozens of shaving products, as well as non-shaving items, that to this day continue to benefit so many members of B&B. His body of work will be a source of reference that will continue to benefit members for many years to come.

Scotto's influence continues to reverberate throughout B&B. Through his efforts he has helped make B&B a more informative, but more importantly, a more enjoyable place for all to experience.

Thank you Scotto.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to extend my warmest congratulations to you Scotto on receiving the B&BMSA. Your time at the B&B is truly legend. Your hard work and attention to detail combined with a scientific regard and rapier wit has set the bar high for those of us who follow in your footsteps. Bravo Sir!

SCOTTO, Congratulations on achieving the distinguished (Timmy) Meritorious Shavers Award, well deserved.
Your efforts have been well appreciated and enjoyed by many here at B&B.
It’s a pleasure and honor to have you join me on the list of BBMSA winners.

Guys,

My initial reaction to this award was to leave a flippant “thanks, guys!”, and move on. After giving it some thought, though, I think it deserves more than that.

B&B, as tacky as it sounds, has been an important part of my life. Believe it or not, I am an introspective, quiet person; I don’t talk a lot in the “real world”. On the phone, I am totally useless. However, I have always loved to read and write. Perhaps if I had things to do over again I might have chosen to use those skills more in my daily life, but in point of fact I work in the technology business. That is a stressful, fact-based job that doesn’t leave much time for creative writing. B&B has provided an outlet for my creative side that was desperate to be exercised.

As for the history, some years ago I “met” Joel. That is a funny relationship since Joel and I couldn’t disagree more on many things related to shaving. Soon after, he formed B&B and I came along for the ride, and the rest is history. Since then, I have made friends here, especially among the mod community who, despite having never met them in person, I feel closer to than many people I interact with physically on a daily basis. Joel, Nick, Ron, Howard, and many others fall into that category. I want to thank them all for putting up with me in the mod forums and elsewhere. I want to especially thank Jay (Ouch), in whom I found a bit of a kindred spirit, mentor, and good friend.

As for the rest, I really enjoyed my contributions here, and I hope that I helped a few people and gave even more of them a good chuckle. Unfortunately the demands of my life outside B&B have limited my ability to post much lately, but I do check in often. Hopefully as time goes on I can contribute a bit here and there.

This is a special place, and a unique part of the internet. The generosity of people here is unparalleled, and no one should take it for granted. Thanks for the recognition – I truly appreciate it.

Well-deserved, Scotto! I've enjoyed your postings and reviews, and look forward to more. Thanks a million!!

Congratulations, Scotto, and thanks for all your technique guides. Especially the glycerin soap.

I lather, therefore I am. :biggrin:

This is a special place, and a unique part of the internet. The generosity of people here is unparalleled, and no one should take it for granted.

I think that sums up B&B to perfection. All I can do is say a meager 'thanks' to Scotto for helping to make B&B what it is.

Cheers

Jeremy

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I want to quickly congratulate Scotto and will post my thoughts later at the after-party. Scotto, you one mojo Scotto. :biggrin:

Congrats Scotto. I enjoyed reading your posts very much when I first joined B&B in early '07, and took advantage of your sampler "store" for my first foray into finer shaving creams. You have been missed, and I sincerely hope you'll continue to pop in from time to time.

There once was a lad named Scotto,
Who, even when Ouch was all Blotto,
Would type out a post,
And help us the most,
"Thanks, Scotto!" is now our new motto!

Congrats! And thanks for the kind words.

Barack

Scotto,

Whenever I see your name attached to a post, I know it's a comment or review I can trust, and with wit and intellect to match.

Thank you for your contribution. Don't wander too far away.

Paul

Top Bottom