What's new

Tire recommendations.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Robert:
We buy tires (Goodrich, All-Terrain LT 285, R55/20 [33in...over 20in ultra-goliath stock chrome rims] tires), for our 2013 Toyota ("Let's Go Places"), Tundra SR5, (TSS Off-Road edition, 4X2- CrewMax), at Walmart w/ free mounting & Road Hazard protection for the life of
the tire. :thumbsup:

[FONT=&amp]
proxy.php
"I had to stop driving my car for a while...the tires got dizzy”. Steven Wright[/FONT]

My only concern with the BFG AT is that it doesn't clean out the mud quickly enough with this thick sticky mud. I ran them in HS many moons ago when the options were limited.

Not really sure about mud performance. I ran them only on rocks, sand, basically off-road in the desert and on roads. Also consider this is probably the newer version compared to the one you once had, so they may have improved mud performance now.

Interesting choice.

This is my favorite tire. Not the smoothest on road performance(a bit loud), but an overall great tire. Grips like a beast in Northeastern winters.

Yes, the TAKOs are a bit loud, but since the guy drives off-road it's not much of a concern, is it? Those tires or not going on a Bentley.

I ran BFGs, Cooper STTs, Kelly safari, and general grabbers looking for the "right" tire. When I bought my '16 frontier, it came with Hankook dynapro ATMs (not a tire I would have considered) and I'm here to tell you, they have been the best all terrain tire I've ever had. They have great manners on the road and just enough aggression to take on some hairy stuff. I don't know about longevity as I only have 6K on my truck but I can't tell that they have worn at all. After trying all those other tires, I can honestly say I will NEVER buy anything else.

$image.jpgI run the K/O's on my 1500 Dodge. They are one of the most aggressive A/T's. These are more suited for a 2500 or 3500 truck. You can adjust the tire pressure based on the load you carry. 40-60 psi. The sidewalls are incredible. Yes they are more expensive but worth it. If your looking for strictly a street tire I would look at Michellin.

Last edited:
The KM2s are dedicated mud tires. I have not tried them. How do they do on an asphalt road?
Yes they're MTS and they're not at all designed for asphalt. The compound just wont hold up to the roads and theyll wear quick. I dont know if you know anything about hockey or not but these are like hockey pucks in icy conditions too. Nevertheless, I highly recommended these MTs from the OP requirements . Never buy these tires for any other intention than offroad use. :) As for performance in mud? Sollllliiddd.

Last edited:
I know you said you weren't interested in Toyo but I really think they're worth considering too. When I had their mud tires on my Dodge 2500, they held up really well for on and off road. They are a little pricey but the sidewalls are stronger than most other options and you need something pretty tough for a 3/4 ton truck.

I never got stuck in SoDak soup with Firestone A/T's but I also didn't try to push it too far. Got 50k miles on them. Sure the beefier ones are even better.

The A/T's on the Cherokee would get me through snow up to the bumper too...

I did a lot of work where I would go from a 2 hour highway drive to an oil field or other muddy nasty jobsite. I ran cooper discoverer stt's and loved them. Regular rotation (3000 miles) got me 62,000 out of them. Not bad for an aggressive mud tire IMO.

The extra siping in the tread blocks makes them stick to a wet road instead of sliding all around. Lots of clearance between the blocks so they clean out extremely well.

$cooper-discoverer-stt-close-up.jpg

I have used BFG AT'S on two vehicles for over 20 years. My first set on a compact pickup lasted 89k miles. They do very good off road and are very quiet on road.

I pulled the trigger on Cooper MTP's. Went back to factory size of 265/70/17. Out the door for $1012. Sitting at Discount Tire right now.

$17291.jpg

I think you choose well. Last time I need new sneakers for the Ram 2500 diesel, I was low on cash so ended up at a discount place and got these Hankook tires. They have held up to 35k, a lot of it pulling a 10k trailer and perform very well in the mud and snow. Should get another 10k out of them, about what the Dueler's I used to run (at twice the price).

Love coopers! Great choice! Coopers or BFG All Terrain are my go to. Only a half ton ram 4x4, but I tow and haul a lot with it. Both last and perform well.

I've had BFG Radial Mud Terrain on my jeep (CJ7) for years. Great traction and they last way longer, wear and dry rot than Goodyear, Cooper, and General from my experience. I put a set of BFG Radial All Terrain (T/A) on my Frontier pickup a year + ago. I really like the on road traction in rain, snow, and dry pavement. I plan to get a set for my Pathfinder both used mostly on pavement with occasional trails and beach for access to hunting, fishing, hiking, etc. Both tires are a bit stiff but that is because of the tough sidewalls. I've put them through some tough stuff without airing down without issue. I put the white letters inside, I don't know why they have them, if you use them like they were designed you will quickly get ugly white sides worn through.

For mostly off road on my jeep, I'm thinking of getting a set of TSI Super Swamper Radials. Only to get a larger size than I have for trails.

Tom

H-B.O.M.B.

Top Bottom