What's new

Suggestions for handgun sights for comp shooting

Assuming you don't like the stock sights and you want to shoot in the stock category (no ghost rings, optics, lasers), what sights would you install? Would there be different sights you would use if shooting indoors vs outdoors? Currently using a Dawson Precision fiber optic set and like it, just wondering if I've overlooked something better..

Heinie Sights get a lot of solid recognition on a number of websites. They seem pretty popular with the 1911 guys

A guy that I shoot with was showing me his Truglow tritium/fiber optic sights before a match. They look like something I would be interested in, except one of my other friends said "Those are sights. You know, the bumps on the slide you never look at." Apparently they know I point shoot too much. :blush:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Anything big beefy all steel, no plastic or fiberoptic, something that won't fly off or melt down and can take a beating.Trijicon night sights serve a dual purpose on most of my Glock pistols as both a robust sight and night sight for low light defensive use. Another option is the 24/7 big dot front / express sight rear which I have on my Glock 19, great for speed shooting.

Last edited:
Presuming outdoor and indoor, non darkness competition, the school solution seems to be moving toward a black rear with a fiber optic front. The arguably best Glock shooter in the world, Robert Vogel, uses these with red fo up front:
http://www.amazon.com/Vogel-Dynamics-Champion-Pistol-Sights/dp/B01BLV1QQI

I am fond of a factory painted orange front with green trit dot mated to a black rear with yellow trit. Trijicon and Ameriglo have a number of these variations.

I "compete" with a set up very similar to what I carry so I eschew the FO front sight as there are transitional lighting conditions in the real world where I can see the glow of the night sight but cannot see the fiber optic, or gold bead or brass bead or plain black nearly as well.

I am aware that you can have both FO and Trit with Truglos. Historically, there durablity was suspect in the more tactical circles. They now have a TFX Pro which is an orangae painted front blade with a green trit/fo combo front with black rears fitted with the same green trit/fo rears. Preliminary reports look promising.

If I was going to compete seriously with a glock, I would likely have a second slide or upper or gun fitted with the fiber optic sight to take advantage of its light gathering capabilities when the light was right for it. Outside on a even 1/2 bright day, the fo really stands out in a great way.

YMMV Greatly

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I am slowly transitioning most of my pistol sights to XS 24/7 big dots. I seem to be able to "dot the i" faster than I can line up traditional 3 dot systems. They are fast to line up, but some people complain that they are no good for distances past about 25ft. I personally have no issues keeping them on target at 25 feet, but I have shot with them a lot.

Adam

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I am slowly transitioning most of my pistol sights to XS 24/7 big dots. I seem to be able to "dot the i" faster than I can line up traditional 3 dot systems. They are fast to line up, but some people complain that they are no good for distances past about 25ft. I personally have no issues keeping them on target at 25 feet, but I have shot with them a lot.

Adam

James Yeager agrees with you: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...5A07F23D862BEA4A00445A0&rvsmid=7F23D862BEA4A0

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
We did a stage once where you started laying on your back with your head pointed downrange and you had to engage targets from that position by reaching back over your head and holding the gun upside down with a normal grip, to simulate having been knocked down in a fight and having to engage attackers before you made it back to your feet. We were shooting in a gravel pit with high backstops, probably could not do safely on most "flat" ranges. Starting position was with your gun laying by your head on the ground beside you with the muzzle pointed downrange so that you would not break the 180, roll to the side to get acquire the weapon, roll back onto your back, engage three targets at relatively close range, then get to your feet, get behind cover and engage a few more targets.

Last edited:
Top Bottom