What's new

First de razor shave

So today was the day. I rushed home from work to excitedly open my boxes for my new endeavor. It was like an early Cristmas. I ripped the box open and pulled out the packages. I then began examining the boxes and pulling out the contents.

The first packaged i opened was Grandpas Old Pine Tire. The scent hit me with a smokey smell followed by a woodsy and clean scent. I couldnt quite put my finger on it.

The next package was taylor of old bond street sandlewood shave aoap. The scent was very settle and calming.

I then pulled out thebadger brush. My mutt suddenly took interest in tge item. Being half Cur it must have kicked in her hunting senses as she seemed fixated on the item.

Finally, i turned to the item that would start this journey. I pulled out my Merkur from the box and examined the shaver. The blade shined in the light as i twisted and turned the shavor.

So now the stuff that actually matters. I took a quick shower with the pine tar soap. It lathered alot and felt quite refreshing and clean. The smell left was strong but settle. I got out and lathered my head with the shaving soap. The smell was very minimal. The badger brush was able to lather really well. I was able to shave without incident. I did have a few nicks but only from bumps already on ny head. I was not impressed with the blade that came with the razor. It seemed to seat to far in and not set out far enough. I tried to loosen the head abit by twisting locking mechanism but would begin twisting on its own. I felt better to leave tight. Will definetly look into the feather blades. After several passes. I felt it was good enough as i will also need to refine my technique. I rinsed and patted down my head ensuring the bumps i had were healed and applied the english leather aftershave.....yes it stung...but you bite your lip and take it. After i got up off the floor from the fetal position and wiped the tears from my eyes I felt clean, refreshed, renewed and manly. Or its just the nostalgia of it. Any ways, my head felt pretty smooth. A few places a still rough but with newer blades or maybe better techique ill have it down. So all in all, ill be doing it again after a few days. And it was quite enjoyable.

That is exactly the plan. Eventually ill go straight razor. But will be a while. When i went into a store earlier last week looking around, i asked the lady at the hair supply store if she had ant safety razors. After explaining she realized she carried one. Wasnt one i was looking for but then asked, you have a beard, what do you need a razor for? I pointed to my head and she and the customers started laughing that they hadnt realized my head. Moral of the story, when you have an epic beard, nobody cares about your head lol.

That is exactly the plan. Eventually ill go straight razor. But will be a while. When i went into a store earlier last week looking around, i asked the lady at the hair supply store if she had ant safety razors. After explaining she realized she carried one. Wasnt one i was looking for but then asked, you have a beard, what do you need a razor for? I pointed to my head and she and the customers started laughing that they hadnt realized my head. Moral of the story, when you have an epic beard, nobody cares about your head lol.
Good going. Straight razors are fantastic, maybe also consider a feather artist club the blades are wickedly sharp and you don't have to learn stripping also.

I plan on trying the feathers but i found a variety pack deals as well. This will allow me to try variius ones. I didnt find the safety much different than the cartridge really. Was able to rinse clean every time with no cake on globs. Even did a bit of dry shaving for touch up.

She definetly wanted to grab ahold of the brush. If i had let her smell it any longer i might have had to order a new one. Although i woupd may have had to practice shaving on her lol.

Yes it was pretty exciting. And not as bad as it made it out to be. Hardly any difference between these and cartridges. Except price and does seem to get down a litlle deeper. Found my hair today to not have been as long as it should be, or im going bald....

So aftera couple days ill try again and see how it goes. I was a bit rough on my scalp. But again onpy a few pinhole knicks where i had bumps. $IMG_20160523_213812.jpg
View attachment 660895[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• $IMG_20160523_213527.jpg
    $IMG_20160523_213527.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 93
Congrats man!
You are dead right about that blade that came with your Merkur being a horrible blade. I have no idea why such a good company has such poor performing blades. Maybe it is because so many of us use that blade when we are new we only THINK they are bad.

I tell you what my friend [MENTION=110402]Mansquatch5000[/MENTION], I've got in my hands right now a few tucks (packs) of blades to choose from, I will PIF you a tuck of your choice. If others want to offer an opinion as to which might be better for your head, PLEASE speak up.

The selection IS: Gillette Wilkinson sword salon pack (10 blades) *this is my recommendation. Derby & Dorco. I've never used Derby but they are known to be "mild" by many. I gave my daughter a pack of Dorco as her first blade for her leg shaving and she has no issues so far.

Just PM me your mailing address and I'll drop the blades in the mail.
$File_000 (5).jpg

*no good man should have to shave with a bad blade.

[MENTION=103898]CBLindsay[/MENTION] I apreciate the offer. But i am actually going to be ordering some and/or picking up locally. I spent alot of time looking over reviews and such. It is time consuming to pick apart each review to distinguish (since i seem to not be able to spell discifer, disifer, disco...) Who is being a fan, who is being biased, who has had bad luck, and who shouldnt even be looking at anything sharp. Amazon and a few other places is also a key to use. As steady reviews on products all over the web seem to point to feather. But there are also a couple other optiins.

I do agree why such a company makes terrible blades. I think the problem lies in the width as they are sgarp and capable of doing the job but notice that they just dont stick out quite enough. And its only by a "hair". Just .05mm my be enough.

Top Bottom