What's new

Lectric Shave question. Says Pre Shave right on it, but.

I notice some folks posting that they like this stuff as after shave, but isn't it a pre shave? I just got a small bottle and I do like the scent. It seems a little oily though. Is it really good to use as an after shave??

I use Williams Lectric as an after shave during the work week and like it a lot. I have an old 7 oz. bottle from the early 80's when I had an electric razor. I tried it a couple of times in those days as a pre-shave but it didn't seem to do anything. Recently I have started using it as an after shave and it works fine in that regard for me. I use it sparingly and don't get an oily residue. For the first half minute my face is flushed and that goes away and the scent soon dissipates after twenty minutes or so. My face is left feeling refreshed and feeling good.

I don't know if the formulation for Williams Lectric has changed since the early 80's but will find out someday when my vintage supply runs out.

I absolutely love the scent of William's 'Lectric shave. But for me, it is too oily with a residue on it and to be used as a splash aftershave. I thought it was developed as a lubricant for the spinning blades of an electric razor while gliding over the skin. It feels like a resinous chemical on my face and I wouldn't want that on the top layer of my skin after a DE blade just removed part of that very top layer.

I sure wish that Williams would make an oil free (or whatever chemical it is that they use) aftershave with the exact same scent however. Now that would be awesome!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Older versions of pre-shave splashes used an ingredient called, isopropyl mysristate, which gave the splash it's slickness to lubricate the skin against the harshness of an electric blade. The ingredient was found to have immunotoxicity problems, such as skin allergies, eyes ears and throat type problems.

Many pre-shave brands, have long re-formulated since then, substituting this ingredient with castor oil instead. this is where the greasy skin feeling comes from.

Top Bottom