What's new

Omega 10066 VS Omega 10049 Professional ?

Hi I'm debating between two shaving brushes, I have concluded that both of these are good and cheap ...
So what's your choice?

Omega 10066 (24mm knot)
http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/omega-10066-boar-shaving-brush/

full
?cache=1448896267[/IMG]

Omega 10049 Professional (27mm knot)
http://www.maggardrazors.com/produc...oar-hair-shaving-brush-in-red-black-or-white/

proxy.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I only have a 49 but the 66 is on my list to get at some point. The 49 works great but is a bit floppy. I don't mind that. I even face lather with it and have no problems. But the 66 looks like it would have a bit more backbone and at the price why try to resist, right?

I prefer the smaller knots. The big knots are huge and tend to flop. If you do want a big knot Omega, get the Proraso which is a 48 with a shoter loft so it keeps a good firm backbone. It is actually a very nice brush.

I also have the regular 48 and 98. They have a huge spread that is in a word - clumsy. It is not that they are bad, but a smaller knot Boar brush would have better backbone, easier to control spread and can hold enough lather. The big barber brushes can hold indeed 2-3X the lather... it is not really a priority for me ...

If you face lather, Omega 10065 - 10066 is one way street... Omega 10049 is a great brush for painting...you might also consider Omega 10777 if you like smaller brushes.

For a few dollars more you might consider the semogue 1460/1470. Shorter loft but more bloom than an omega.$20160424_103015.jpg
It still has plenty of backbone for face lathering

I have the 10083 which is part of the same family as the 10049, the handle colour is the primary difference. This is my daily driver and it has been spectacular since day 1 and I have been using it for three and a half years, not much for many of the members here. The knot is big enough that you can develop 4 passes worth of lather easily when face lathering. The question is going to be, do you like a larger knot?

The omega knots stay relatively column-like compared to the semogue knots which splay wide. So a 22mm semogue will feel wider than a 24mm omega by quite a bit.

Also, with boar, the amount of lather a brush will hold has more to do with length of the bristles than the width of the knot.

The Semogues have nicer handles. The Omegas are a hollow plastic (except for their clear acrylic handles).

Both brands make excellently lather easily though.

In the omega, the 48, 49, and Poraso brush seem to have MUCH bigger fan clubs than the other omegas. They are all the same brush, but at different lofts. The 49 is 5mm shorter than the 48, and the poraso is 5mm shorter than the 49.

In the semogue, the 1305/830 and SOC seem to have the biggest fan club for bowl lathers, and the 610/620, 1460 and 1800 seem to have the biggest fan club.

The badger and blade brush for sale only at West Coast Shaving is an omega knot in a high quality handle.

Eventually I purchased the Omega 10066, Becuse the #49 is too big for me...
TNX People :)

The didn't like the Pro brush at all. It's too big, wastes too much soap and it's really overkill.

The 10066 on the otherhand, is a superior brush! I believe it's one of the best brushes on the market and the derivative # 11775 which has treated bristles, is even better and one of my all time favourite boar brushes ever!

I know a lot of people like the medium sized brushes like the 10066 to face lather, but I just don't get the trick to hold 3+ passes worth of lather in that brush. Or does everyone just go back to the soap and re-lather?

I know a lot of people like the medium sized brushes like the 10066 to face lather, but I just don't get the trick to hold 3+ passes worth of lather in that brush. Or does everyone just go back to the soap and re-lather?
I usually do two passes and a 22-24 mm brush is fine for face lathering IMO. If I squeeze the remaining lather out of the brush I can get a third pass or at least enough for a touch up out of it if I need to, but I usually don't need to.

I usually do two passes and a 22-24 mm brush is fine for face lathering IMO. If I squeeze the remaining lather out of the brush I can get a third pass or at least enough for a touch up out of it if I need to, but I usually don't need to.
OK, interesting. Thanks.

I am beginning to alternate between two passes and my preferred 3/4. Two passes is nice to give my face a rest. But I prefer to do three with a cleanup to get a nice smooth shave.

OK, interesting. Thanks.

I am beginning to alternate between two passes and my preferred 3/4. Two passes is nice to give my face a rest. But I prefer to do three with a cleanup to get a nice smooth shave.
I get what you're saying. But don't think I sacrifice closeness because I do two passes. I do two because I don't need to do 3 :). A couple years ago, I decided two passes was more comfortable and three was causing me a little too much irritation so I just did two for a long time. After my technique evolved and I got good at controlling angle and pressure, I found I could get a great close shave with no irritation in two passes. Now I just have no need for three passes most of the time unless I'm using a really exceptionally mild razor. Even with a Tech, two passes is all I really need.

Top Bottom