What's new

SOTD Free Week: May 23 - 29, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOTD, Friday, May 27th, 2016

Just a 'touchup' today before the grandaughter's graduation!!
Translate: Getting really Old!

Shower
Institut Karite shave soap in Thiers-Issard pewter bowl
Rudy Vey badger brush
Gillette Sheraton open comb safety razor + Gillette super stainless blade (#2)
Cool washcloth rinse
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet aftershave splash
Cellmen Switzerland Face Ultra rejuvenating skin cream

Best wishes to all for the coming weekend!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Razor: MATADOR El Gordo Negro
Blade: SCHICK Super Stainless
Brush: EL DRUIDA Chubby Brezo centenario
Lather: GIBB'S 53 vintage
Aftershave: MYRSOL Agua balsámica
Addcare: MYRSOL emulsión

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Pretty much the same today except I gave the OLD type a shave. I think my technique needs work to fully appreciate that pro grade whisker wacker! :D
proxy.php

Pretty much the same today except I gave the OLD type a shave. I think my technique needs work to fully appreciate that pro grade whisker wacker! :D
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/...3-31AC-458F-80A5-B19A4EE90DF0_zps3auvhete.jpg

nice set, sir nut!
don't be intimidated by the open comb gillette.
it's a great shaver but requires very light, two-finger grip.
experiment to find your best angle, mine is really shallow.
of course, best with fresh, sharp blade of choice.
when introduced, these were for 'common man', not at all 'pro grade'.

$gillette vintage baby ad small.jpg

Friday

Vulfix 660
Palmolive Lime Cream
G20 Scuttle
Razorock Old Type
Astra blade
Alum block
Witch hazel
Canoe balm

wow, my empathies and sympathies, sir!

was this with your Feather kami??

how could the blade get folded over?

Thank you my Friend, it was with the Feather DX Kamisori, I think I actually touched down the blade on the holder in a couple places as I was adjusting it's angles for the photo. This resulted in some damage to the blade edge and also resulted in the nearly imperceptible slices all over mu mug. Luckily the have nearly completely healed at this point and a shave is definitely in my wheelhouse tonight:thumbup:

S.O.T.D. For 27 May 2016

"A Tribute to the Unwavering Support Between Service Members"

Brush: Rubberset 103 Restored by me with 22mm Silvertip
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Settantesimo 70th Anniversary SE
Razor: 11/16 GENCO NEXT
Post: Saponificio Varesino Settantesimo 70th Anniversary SE

This Shave is the culmination of the efforts of Three Servicemen, Myself Restoring the Vintage Brush, The Soap and ASB Gifted to me by My Brother in Arms Dave and the Razor Received as a Retirement Gift From my Brother In Arms Chris. My Brothers I Salute You Both and I Very Much Look Forward to the Day When I Join Your Ranks as a Veteran my Brothers:001_smile

:thumbup1:Wishing you All A Spectacular Weekend My Friends:thumbup1:

$IMG_0014.jpg

$20160526_052650.jpg

Head & face shower shave. days growth.

Technique: WTG / XTG / ATG
Prep: Shower.
Soap: Cold River Soap Works - Le Chypre Sombre LE
Brush: BSB-Ti w/HMW Extra Dense
Razor: Mongoose BS w/Triad Rolling Hex 316 Stainless Handle
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild(3)

Cold River Soap Works is another artisan I've been failing to try out. That ended today. My well established proclivity for fancy packaging once again proved to be my undoing. The beautiful hand-crafted Rebecca Wind Pottery bowl was more than I could resist, so I took the bait. Going into this, I knew next to nothing about CRSW other than they have a good reputation among wet shaving artisans.

The pre-filled bowl came quite securely packaged with the lid inverted and a piece of waxed paper placed between it and the bowl. The lid was then adequately taped down with painters masking tape, and the whole thing was tightly wrapped in plastic wrap. It arrived in a box tightly packed with biodegradable packing peanuts. Along with the personalized "thank you" note was a business card-sized black envelope that was sealed with an emblem seal. Within the envelope was a card with instructions on how to obtain a replacement puck at a discount.

Believe it or not, the bowl looks even better in person, and it's far more substantial than I was expecting. Prior to its arrival, I was a little concerned about the possibility of dinging up the fixed ferrule of my BSB-Ti, but the 3.75" diameter mouth allowed plenty of room to load without even grazing the handle. While the bowl is absolutely gorgeous, I look forward to having this soap in a standard puck, so I don't have to be concerned about breaking it. I'm a shower shaver, and I recognize it's just a matter of time before calamity strikes. Fortunately, Larry Jones has indicated he intends to release LCS in a standard tin in the near future.

The bowl has been on my desk since its arrival two days ago, and I find myself frequently pausing to take a whiff. Le Chypre Sombre is pleasant and robust dry straight from the bowl. It's bright and mildly soapy with hints of musk and juniper prior to being lathered. After about three swirls with the slightly damp HMW knot, the musk notes became more prevalent. Never having used a CRSW product before, I took my time with the load until the knot was at max capacity. Then I dribbled water directly on the knot and proceeded with a face lather. This is either a very easy soap to lather, or I just got lucky on the ratio. I never noticed a paste phase as it went straight to a dense super white lather with incredible sheen that was reminiscent of Saponificio Varesino's Beta 4.1 formula. Slickness and glide was spot on. I noted zero drag with the third use of the Kai Captain Titan Mild blade. As I progressed through the traditional three passes, the scent, which had started as a slightly soapy musk, began to build with darker notes of amber. The soapiness was replaced by leather and woody juniper. A familiar, almost cedar suggestion latched onto the preexisting musk and surprisingly the sharper citrus notes arrived late, but boldly so, nonetheless. These citrus notes weren't specific enough for me to identify a particular fruit. I feel like the amber and musk muted the citrus just enough to keep me from outright calling it bergamot, but they're married so closely as to result in a unique ensemble on its own.

The post-shave was at least as good as my personal benchmark, Barrister and Mann's Glissant. After a cold water rinse, my scalp was initially tight and squeaky but not tacky, whereas Glissant results in a satiny feel. As the humidity lifted from the bathroom, however, my scalp felt soft and supple. I most likely could have skipped the Floïd, but I just wanted to feel the crisp cooling alcohol on this hot, muggy, rainy day.

As many have stated before, there's a ceiling of excellence among soap artisans that just can't be surpassed, given their diligence in achieving perfection. In fact, I probably have in my collection at least five different soaps that do perform perfectly and even more that can perform perfectly once you adjust for their individual quirks. Thus the top artisans have to set themselves apart with unique scents and, yes, presentation. I feel like Cold River Soap Works has done just that with Le Chypre Sombre.

Speaking again to the scent, as is usually my complaint, I need a splash that duplicates LCS. Sure there are plenty of splashes that may pair well, Floïd Blue being one of them, but I want a splash that is LCS. I've read rumors that a LCS splash may be in the works, but nothing from the horse's mouth.

$20160526_053600.jpg
As an aside, I have a question for those in the know: CRSW seems to market Le Chypre Sombre decapitalized as, "le chypre sombre". Is this just a marketing choice, or is this the proper way to denote it? I understand if used in a sentence in French it would be decapitalized, but as the name of a product, I find it difficult to negate the proper noun.

Kit: 5/8 Klas Tornblom 'weekend warrior'
Mitchell Mogul 824 Horse Hide strop
Tabac
12 oz. Crown King Scuttle
Omega +2 badger brush of lathering
Good ol' Old Spice

At this point in my collecting of Tornbloms, I could say I have a Monday thri Friday set and this is the Friday razor. All bamboo scales and this one in black. All meticulously honed and feel the same. I may stop here, but something (I suspect a secret enablement ray developed by the CEC) will have me seeking out the remaining two razors to fill out the box. I stropped this one gently as I have noted I seem to be losing keenness when I strop. I must be doing something wrong. On the scope they look better, but they don't shave any better. This one is demonically sharp at this point.

View attachment 661663

Thank you my Friend, it was with the Feather DX Kamisori, I think I actually touched down the blade on the holder in a couple places as I was adjusting it's angles for the photo. This resulted in some damage to the blade edge and also resulted in the nearly imperceptible slices all over mu mug. Luckily the have nearly completely healed at this point and a shave is definitely in my wheelhouse tonight:thumbup:

wow, gotta protect those open blades!

good news is that they can be replaced easily.

did you manage to keep the damaged blade and get closeup photo of the nicks?

Those feather blades are indeed impressive!

Saturday's Planned SOTD

$P1100605.jpg

Razor: Gillette Toggle - Rhodium (s5)
Blade: Gillette Spoiler (D1)
Brush: Rooney 1/3 Super Silvertip
Bowl: Turkish Porcelain Bowl 4 ¾”
Pre Shave Scrub: MRGLO
Pre Shave Oil: Homemade Jasmine Creamsicle
Shave Soap: Beaver WoodWright Thomas Tew
Aftershave: Beaver WoodWright Thomas Tew

wow, gotta protect those open blades!

good news is that they can be replaced easily.

did you manage to keep the damaged blade and get closeup photo of the nicks?

Those feather blades are indeed impressive!

You got that right, hopefully within the next couple of days the blade protectors I ordered will be here so this will not happen again. I did in fact save the blade and just got a couple of up close shots of the damage.

This one is how the blade should look:

$20160527_183227.jpg

And these two are the shots of the folds as can be detected by the shadowed areas along the blade edge:
$20160527_183055.jpg

This one in particular in the dead center of the photo shows the distinct bend over on the blade edge
$20160527_183206.jpg

More lovely photos, gentlemen! :001_smile

witeq
winblows
Valeri
Soren
prometeo
gartbnx
Murray :thumbup1:
Paco Galan
nikonNut
Nate (great to see you healed up) :001_smile
120inna55
Chris (CT23)
majorrich

Head & face shower shave. days growth.

Technique: WTG / XTG / ATG
Prep: Shower.
Soap: Cold River Soap Works - Le Chypre Sombre LE
Brush: BSB-Ti w/HMW Extra Dense
Razor: Mongoose BS w/Triad Rolling Hex 316 Stainless Handle
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild(3)

Cold River Soap Works is another artisan I've been failing to try out. That ended today. My well established proclivity for fancy packaging once again proved to be my undoing. The beautiful hand-crafted Rebecca Wind Pottery bowl was more than I could resist, so I took the bait. Going into this, I knew next to nothing about CRSW other than they have a good reputation among wet shaving artisans.

The pre-filled bowl came quite securely packaged with the lid inverted and a piece of waxed paper placed between it and the bowl. The lid was then adequately taped down with painters masking tape, and the whole thing was tightly wrapped in plastic wrap. It arrived in a box tightly packed with biodegradable packing peanuts. Along with the personalized "thank you" note was a business card-sized black envelope that was sealed with an emblem seal. Within the envelope was a card with instructions on how to obtain a replacement puck at a discount.

Believe it or not, the bowl looks even better in person, and it's far more substantial than I was expecting. Prior to its arrival, I was a little concerned about the possibility of dinging up the fixed ferrule of my BSB-Ti, but the 3.75" diameter mouth allowed plenty of room to load without even grazing the handle. While the bowl is absolutely gorgeous, I look forward to having this soap in a standard puck, so I don't have to be concerned about breaking it. I'm a shower shaver, and I recognize it's just a matter of time before calamity strikes. Fortunately, Larry Jones has indicated he intends to release LCS in a standard tin in the near future.

The bowl has been on my desk since its arrival two days ago, and I find myself frequently pausing to take a whiff. Le Chypre Sombre is pleasant and robust dry straight from the bowl. It's bright and mildly soapy with hints of musk and juniper prior to being lathered. After about three swirls with the slightly damp HMW knot, the musk notes became more prevalent. Never having used a CRSW product before, I took my time with the load until the knot was at max capacity. Then I dribbled water directly on the knot and proceeded with a face lather. This is either a very easy soap to lather, or I just got lucky on the ratio. I never noticed a paste phase as it went straight to a dense super white lather with incredible sheen that was reminiscent of Saponificio Varesino's Beta 4.1 formula. Slickness and glide was spot on. I noted zero drag with the third use of the Kai Captain Titan Mild blade. As I progressed through the traditional three passes, the scent, which had started as a slightly soapy musk, began to build with darker notes of amber. The soapiness was replaced by leather and woody juniper. A familiar, almost cedar suggestion latched onto the preexisting musk and surprisingly the sharper citrus notes arrived late, but boldly so, nonetheless. These citrus notes weren't specific enough for me to identify a particular fruit. I feel like the amber and musk muted the citrus just enough to keep me from outright calling it bergamot, but they're married so closely as to result in a unique ensemble on its own.

The post-shave was at least as good as my personal benchmark, Barrister and Mann's Glissant. After a cold water rinse, my scalp was initially tight and squeaky but not tacky, whereas Glissant results in a satiny feel. As the humidity lifted from the bathroom, however, my scalp felt soft and supple. I most likely could have skipped the Floïd, but I just wanted to feel the crisp cooling alcohol on this hot, muggy, rainy day.

As many have stated before, there's a ceiling of excellence among soap artisans that just can't be surpassed, given their diligence in achieving perfection. In fact, I probably have in my collection at least five different soaps that do perform perfectly and even more that can perform perfectly once you adjust for their individual quirks. Thus the top artisans have to set themselves apart with unique scents and, yes, presentation. I feel like Cold River Soap Works has done just that with Le Chypre Sombre.

Speaking again to the scent, as is usually my complaint, I need a splash that duplicates LCS. Sure there are plenty of splashes that may pair well, Floïd Blue being one of them, but I want a splash that is LCS. I've read rumors that a LCS splash may be in the works, but nothing from the horse's mouth.
As an aside, I have a question for those in the know: CRSW seems to market Le Chypre Sombre decapitalized as, "le chypre sombre". Is this just a marketing choice, or is this the proper way to denote it? I understand if used in a sentence in French it would be decapitalized, but as the name of a product, I find it difficult to negate the proper noun.

Matt, Lovin that bowl!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom