What's new

Pinaud Clubman vs. Pinaud Citrus Musk

With spring/summer upon us, I'm in the mood for an aftershave that I can splash on with reckless abandon and not worry about emitting a 6 foot parameter stench cloud wherever I go. I do like citrus and I do like musk so my attention has been drawn to Pinaud Citrus Musk. What gives me pause is that I've tried another Pinaud product, Pinaud Clubman and I really didn't like it at all.

Some time ago, based on the recommendations and near unanimous love for Pinaud Clubman found here, I gave Clubman a try. Out of the 4 people in my household (3 of them women) no one liked it. It went on way too strong, the scent was overwhelming. I also found the scent to be cloying and overly sweet. It wasn't until hours later when the scent was disappearing that I kind of liked the scent. If the scent started more subtle like that, I might be able to get on board with it. I tried it a handful of times to see if it would grow on me but it didn't. Now I'm pretty thrifty and normally I would just use it up and not buy it again but I disliked the scent to the point where I couldn't even wear it any more. I was going to just toss it in the trash but fortunately I was able to trade it for some blades. Should I let my dislike of Clubman cloud my judgement for other scents in the line? Does the Citrus Musk smell anything like the Clubman? (a good answer here would be no) Does it go on with an overpowering/overwhelming scent? Does it last the better part of a day like Clubman does? How would you describe the scent of Citrus Musk? How does the scent age/change from the time you put it on to as the day wears on?

As we say YMMV! There are many variables, skin type, oil, genetics, etc., that determine what you and your family like!

Yeah, there are several variables which can effect scent and liking/not liking a scent is a very subjective thing. I guess I'm not so much wondering/asking will I like the scent as much as I'm asking how the characteristics of the two compare so I can get a better idea of whether I'm more likely going to like the scent or not. I do like citrus scents as well as musk so I'm already part way there.

Last edited:
I have and use both the Pinaud Clubman and the Citrus Musk. The Pinaud is an AS and the Citrus Musk is a cologne. Two very different scents and I like both. The Citrus Musk has definitely a citrus scent but it is light and does not stay around too long in my opinion. Probably good as a light summertime scent.

Bob

I have and use both the Pinaud Clubman and the Citrus Musk. The Pinaud is an AS and the Citrus Musk is a cologne. Two very different scents and I like both. The Citrus Musk has definitely a citrus scent but it is light and does not stay around too long in my opinion. Probably good as a light summertime scent.

Bob

+1

With spring/summer upon us, I'm in the mood for an aftershave that I can splash on with reckless abandon and not worry about emitting a 6 foot parameter stench cloud wherever I go. I do like citrus and I do like musk so my attention has been drawn to Pinaud Citrus Musk. What gives me pause is that I've tried another Pinaud product, Pinaud Clubman and I really didn't like it at all.

Some time ago, based on the recommendations and near unanimous love for Pinaud Clubman found here, I gave Clubman a try. Out of the 4 people in my household (3 of them women) no one liked it. It went on way too strong, the scent was overwhelming. I also found the scent to be cloying and overly sweet. It wasn't until hours later when the scent was disappearing that I kind of liked the scent. If the scent started more subtle like that, I might be able to get on board with it. I tried it a handful of times to see if it would grow on me but it didn't. Now I'm pretty thrifty and normally I would just use it up and not buy it again but I disliked the scent to the point where I couldn't even wear it any more. I was going to just toss it in the trash but fortunately I was able to trade it for some blades. Should I let my dislike of Clubman cloud my judgement for other scents in the line? Does the Citrus Musk smell anything like the Clubman? (a good answer here would be no) Does it go on with an overpowering/overwhelming scent? Does it last the better part of a day like Clubman does? How would you describe the scent of Citrus Musk? How does the scent age/change from the time you put it on to as the day wears on?

I belive you are looking for a scent that doesn't exist.

Every Pinaud offering will be overpowering if you "splash it on with reckless abandon." Some linger more than others, but they are just aftershave so none will project reliability all day..........unless you use a bunch, which will be overpowering for a while. This would apply for most scented aftershaves. I suggest you use an unscented aftershave or a lightly scented Thayer witch hazel or similar. You can put it on heavily and not be overpowering. You could then use an EDT to get an appropriate amount of scent.

I use lemon thayers, Eau de Portugal from Pinaud or Osage Rub heavy in the summer. I also splash on a more reserved amount of scented aftershave and then an EDT.

I have both aftershaves. I love Clubman and I like the Citrus Musk as well. The Citrus Musk is not as strong as Clubman. It has a citrus scent and it doesn't last as long.

Citrus Musk doesn't smell like Clubman and the similarities are almost none. Remember that Pinaud makes cheap, barber shop after shaves. They don't have much lasting power. Sure I can still smell both after 6-8 hours but I really splash it on. But their scents are not overpowering in my experience.

I belive you are looking for a scent that doesn't exist.

Every Pinaud offering will be overpowering if you "splash it on with reckless abandon." Some linger more than others, but they are just aftershave so none will project reliability all day..........unless you use a bunch, which will be overpowering for a while. This would apply for most scented aftershaves. I suggest you use an unscented aftershave or a lightly scented Thayer witch hazel or similar. You can put it on heavily and not be overpowering. You could then use an EDT to get an appropriate amount of scent.

I use lemon thayers, Eau de Portugal from Pinaud or Osage Rub heavy in the summer. I also splash on a more reserved amount of scented aftershave and then an EDT.

I slap on AV Musk, AV Ice Sport and Osage Rub with reckless abandon. As you would expect, they are strong at first but they die down and become quite subtle pretty quickly. Pinaud Clubman is on a whole different level. There's no way I could use that much Clubman without being enveloped in a persistent cloud of cloying sweetness. Maybe I'm just sensitive to that particular scent. I was just hoping that the Citrus Musk was softer and more subtle than Clubman.

Bob

This is what I was hoping to hear! :thumbup1:

I have both aftershaves. I love Clubman and I like the Citrus Musk as well. The Citrus Musk is not as strong as Clubman. It has a citrus scent and it doesn't last as long.

Citrus Musk doesn't smell like Clubman and the similarities are almost none. Remember that Pinaud makes cheap, barber shop after shaves. They don't have much lasting power. Sure I can still smell both after 6-8 hours but I really splash it on. But their scents are not overpowering in my experience.

More good news! I may have to give the Citrus Musk a try!

I slap on AV Musk, AV Ice Sport and Osage Rub with reckless abandon. As you would expect, they are strong at first but they die down and become quite subtle pretty quickly. Pinaud Clubman is on a whole different level. There's no way I could use that much Clubman without being enveloped in a persistent cloud of cloying sweetness. Maybe I'm just sensitive to that particular scent. I was just hoping that the Citrus Musk was softer and more subtle than Clubman.

Its a great scent. Not as sweet for sure, but more much fleeting in my experience. Unless you get some on your tshirt, it will not last for too long. I put some on my chest just before the tshirt goes on and that keeps it around a while longer.

best of luck

It smells strong straight out of the bottle - a very sweet lime candy kind of lime scent. But once you put it on, it settles into a more subdued lime scent, with a little bit of a "clean" scent after that fades.

I have used it as a body splash, and even then, the scent is gone after two hours. I doubt that it would overpower anyone unless they were standing there the first minute or two you put it on.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I love Citrus Musk - second only to Proraso in my summer rotation. I love it after a shave, after a workout, or just for grins and giggles. Its a splash you can apply liberally throughout the day without gassing anyone out. As other's have said, it smells nothing like Clubman. I highly recommend you grab a bottle.

I concur what others have said that clubman classic and their citrus musk are two different animals. However, I like the regular "musk" better than the citrus musk...

$image.jpeg

Also, since your wife doesn't like the "classic" clubman, you might want to try the vanilla. Although it smells nothing like vanilla! It's more of a light jasmine scent, mixed with something else that I can't pinpoint. At least that's how it is with my two nose holes. The vanilla is DEFINATELY a lighter and "less overpowering" aftershave than their traditional clubman...

$image.jpeg

I love Citrus Musk - second only to Proraso in my summer rotation...
Not to hijack, just a sidebar since Proraso was mentioned and I'm still talking about certain "Pinaud" products...

I was thinking of trying a 3:1 mix of Proraso AS to Pinaud Lime Sec. I want more of the Proraso scent but with just a bit of "zing" coming from the lime. I have no idea how it will turn out, but that's half the fun. The Lime Sec alone is just to acrid to me, where the Proraso alone is just slightly lacking in any "horse power" for my nose.

Also, after tomorrow morning's shave, I'm first going to try a 3 part Proraso to 1 part Osage rub. Again, I'd prefer the Proraso scent with a bit of super-cool Osage kick.

tankerjohn

I concur what others have said that clubman classic and their citrus musk are two different animals. However, I like the regular "musk" better than the citrus musk...

View attachment 661027

Also, since your wife doesn't like the "classic" clubman, you might want to try the vanilla. Although it smells nothing like vanilla! It's more of a light jasmine scent, mixed with something else that I can't pinpoint. At least that's how it is with my two nose holes. The vanilla is DEFINATELY a lighter and "less overpowering" aftershave than their traditional clubman...

View attachment 661028

I happen to rocking the Clubman Vanilla this morning myself. I agree with your assessment, although to my nose the "something else" is...vanilla. But its more of a muted Nilla wafer kind of vanilla than a big vanilla extract vanilla, if that makes any sense. Anyway, great stuff and another spring/summer favorite because it does go on lighter than regular Clubman.

tankerjohn

Not to hijack, just a sidebar since Proraso was mentioned and I'm still talking about certain "Pinaud" products...

I was thinking of trying a 3:1 mix of Proraso AS to Pinaud Lime Sec. I want more of the Proraso scent but with just a bit of "zing" coming from the lime. I have no idea how it will turn out, but that's half the fun. The Lime Sec alone is just to acrid to me, where the Proraso alone is just slightly lacking in any "horse power" for my nose.

Also, after tomorrow morning's shave, I'm first going to try a 3 part Proraso to 1 part Osage rub. Again, I'd prefer the Proraso scent with a bit of super-cool Osage kick.
Awesome! Good luck with the experimentation. Pinaud stuff is great for mixing because its not too expensive. I've never thought of mixing Proraso with anything, but its definitely mellow enough to blend well with other scents.

I'm glad to hear that there are Pinaud scents out there that are lighter than the Clubman. I've got some of the Citrus Musk making its way to me in the mail hoping it's a better experience for me than the Clubman was.

View attachment 661027

View attachment 661028

Does the vanilla leave you smelling sweet or like a cookie?

I'm intrigued by the musk. It's hard to draw any conclusions reading the reviews of it on Amazon, there's so many conflicting thoughts and opinions.

Top Bottom