What's new

Aeropress, does not impress.

See what I did there, eh, did you.

Anyways, I was going to ask on an earlier thread but rather than highjack it from the op, I thought I'd ask myself.

I can not get a good cup of coffee with my aeropress. I started using a metal filter as I use it for travel, so it may be that.
Any tips? Paper or metal filters? What ground type do you use?

The aeropress is sat upside down while I fill it ect.

Cheers

Perhaps you can describe the problem you're having with a little more detail? Is it body? Flavor?
Here's the basic process I use, with great results:
I've used the metal filter from Kohi Labs, which is a very fine mesh. I generally use paper because I don't have to wash them when I'm traveling, as I do with the metal filter. Also, 10-15 will fit rolled up inside the hollow end of the plunger, meaning they don't take any additional space. I use a grind a little bit finer than for pourover/drip coffeemaker. I brew inverted, with the rubber tip of the plunger just below the (3), which makes about six ounces of brewed coffee. I use about 18-20 grams of coffee for that size cup. Water not quite as hot as boiling, filling the Aeropress a little less than half way. Stir it with a spoon after about 90 seconds, cap it, press it into my cup. I either roast my own coffee, or buy it from a local roaster.

Ah the old clickbait... classic.

Here is what I do and I get coffee that I, and my wife, really enjoy. Start with good freshly roasted beans if possible. Go local if you have that option. I too brew using the inverted method. Beans (two aeropress scoops for two cups) are hand ground in a Porlex grinder and using a setting just a bit coarser than espresso, 5-6 clicks I believe. Next I heat filtered water to 200F (temp selectable kettle helps here). While the water is heating I grind the beans. I take two coffee mugs, fill halfway with water, and put them in the microwave, don't turn it on just yet. Once beans are ground I put them in the inverted aeropress (plunger in just enough to keep anything from leaking out) and make sure the grounds are level. Once the water is heated I soak the paper filter in the filter cap/basket (helps to get rid of any potential paper taste). Then I pour water into the aeropress until it is about 3/4 way full. Use the aeropress stir stick to stir the water and grounds making sure they are well mixed. Fill to the very top (bottom really) of the aeropress. The grounds will bloom up a bit then settle, add a little more water, grounds will bloom, add a bit more water once settled, you're just trying to maximize the amount of water. Once you can add no more water heat the cups in the microwave for one minute (coffee steeping during this). While they are heating connect the filter cap to the aeropress. Once the minute is up take the mugs out, dump the water (it was only for heating the mugs to temp so that the mug itself doesn't cool the coffee), and then press equal amounts of the coffee into the mugs. Enjoy your coffee however you like, black, cream/milk, sugar, etc. I have found this brews a flavorful cup without getting into the bitter range. If you want a coffee with more body then use a metal filter that is a little more coarse than standard.

Perhaps you can describe the problem you're having with a little more detail? Is it body? Flavor?
Here's the basic process I use, with great results:
I've used the metal filter from Kohi Labs, which is a very fine mesh. I generally use paper because I don't have to wash them when I'm traveling, as I do with the metal filter. Also, 10-15 will fit rolled up inside the hollow end of the plunger, meaning they don't take any additional space. I use a grind a little bit finer than for pourover/drip coffeemaker. I brew inverted, with the rubber tip of the plunger just below the (3), which makes about six ounces of brewed coffee. I use about 18-20 grams of coffee for that size cup. Water not quite as hot as boiling, filling the Aeropress a little less than half way. Stir it with a spoon after about 90 seconds, cap it, press it into my cup. I either roast my own coffee, or buy it from a local roaster.

Similar to yourself really, other than the metal filter, don't think it holds enough pressure as the paper filters though.
I tend to use a percolator ground maybe I should try a finer espresso grind. I don't roast my own coffee, I wish. A friend from the states sends me the most amazing coffee, including beans which his friend had roasted, you guys have it way better for coffee. I digress, not sure on the temp, just once the water has boiled in the kettle. Not sure how much water I'm putting in as I've been varying it due to crappy tasting coffee.
On videos I've seen the aeropress produce crema, none in sight at this end, I prefer my stove espresso maker but cant take that away with me unfortunately.

Ah the old clickbait... classic.

Here is what I do and I get coffee that I, and my wife, really enjoy. Start with good freshly roasted beans if possible. Go local if you have that option. I too brew using the inverted method. Beans (two aeropress scoops for two cups) are hand ground in a Porlex grinder and using a setting just a bit coarser than espresso, 5-6 clicks I believe. Next I heat filtered water to 200F (temp selectable kettle helps here). While the water is heating I grind the beans. I take two coffee mugs, fill halfway with water, and put them in the microwave, don't turn it on just yet. Once beans are ground I put them in the inverted aeropress (plunger in just enough to keep anything from leaking out) and make sure the grounds are level. Once the water is heated I soak the paper filter in the filter cap/basket (helps to get rid of any potential paper taste). Then I pour water into the aeropress until it is about 3/4 way full. Use the aeropress stir stick to stir the water and grounds making sure they are well mixed. Fill to the very top (bottom really) of the aeropress. The grounds will bloom up a bit then settle, add a little more water, grounds will bloom, add a bit more water once settled, you're just trying to maximize the amount of water. Once you can add no more water heat the cups in the microwave for one minute (coffee steeping during this). While they are heating connect the filter cap to the aeropress. Once the minute is up take the mugs out, dump the water (it was only for heating the mugs to temp so that the mug itself doesn't cool the coffee), and then press equal amounts of the coffee into the mugs. Enjoy your coffee however you like, black, cream/milk, sugar, etc. I have found this brews a flavorful cup without getting into the bitter range. If you want a coffee with more body then use a metal filter that is a little more coarse than standard.

Sounds good, other than the microwave, tiny kitchen I'm afraid. Another user of paper filters. I found my filters shoved in the back of the cupboard, will try them again. I'll try your method out also.

Similar to yourself really, other than the metal filter, don't think it holds enough pressure as the paper filters though.
I tend to use a percolator ground maybe I should try a finer espresso grind. I don't roast my own coffee, I wish. A friend from the states sends me the most amazing coffee, including beans which his friend had roasted, you guys have it way better for coffee. I digress, not sure on the temp, just once the water has boiled in the kettle. Not sure how much water I'm putting in as I've been varying it due to crappy tasting coffee.
On videos I've seen the aeropress produce crema, none in sight at this end, I prefer my stove espresso maker but cant take that away with me unfortunately.

Sounds good, other than the microwave, tiny kitchen I'm afraid. Another user of paper filters. I found my filters shoved in the back of the cupboard, will try them again. I'll try your method out also.

If you don't have the microwave just pour some boiling water into the cups for a few minutes before you need it. Just trying to make the cups warm so they don't cool your coffee too quickly. Oh and I weighed my aeropress scoop worth of whole beans and it came to 18 grams, in case you were curious.

If you don't have the microwave just pour some boiling water into the cups for a few minutes before you need it. Just trying to make the cups warm so they don't cool your coffee too quickly. Oh and I weighed my aeropress scoop worth of whole beans and it came to 18 grams, in case you were curious.

Good stuff, thank you!

I too do the inverted method. A scoop and a half of beans for one mug of coffee (~22g) is what I've found to work best for me. Hot water from the tap in my mug and inverted Aeropress to warm them up while my water boils and beans grind, as well as soaking the filter to remove any paper flavors.

Once the water is around 200* I pour the beans in the press and then pour just enough water over them to bloom. 6 stirs clockwise and 6 counter (I know, OCD) then I let it bloom for 30 seconds. Fill up the rest of the Aeropress with water, one more stir in each direction, then cap it and let it sit for 90 seconds. 30 second plunge and I have a delicious cup every time!

I know you were looking for help but I can tell you I've never been impressed with Aeropress either. I don't understand why it is so popular.

So, OP, whats your idea of a good cup of coffee? Every brewing method makes slightly different results, you may need to adjust expectations...

i enjoy a strong, on the bitter side of the spectrum, cup of coffee. I have a gas stove esspresso maker which beats the aeropress and electrical coffee makers and not to mention, cheap but I cant take that away on work trips, unless I used a camping stove.
The aeropress gives me a weak tasting coffee, always seem to get a weird after taste. After asking what peoples preferance are for using the maker in question, it varies slightly, I'm now thinking that I am not going to get the coffee I want from it. Maybe its down to the lack of pressure, I know theres resistance in pushing the coffee out but its not 15 bar but I doubt my stove esspresso maker isnt either.
I'll keep on trying, when I'm away with work.

I know you were looking for help but I can tell you I've never been impressed with Aeropress either. I don't understand why it is so popular.
Beginning to think the same, I've had this for about three years now, only use it when I have to, which is a shame as I like the idea.

You may use a higher dose and perhaps stir more to get the extraction you desire.
Mokapot doesn't have much pressure, but it certainly makes a fine cup of coffee. The beauty with the Aeropress is the almost infinite possibilities of extraction.

I too do the inverted method. A scoop and a half of beans for one mug of coffee (~22g) is what I've found to work best for me. Hot water from the tap in my mug and inverted Aeropress to warm them up while my water boils and beans grind, as well as soaking the filter to remove any paper flavors.

Once the water is around 200* I pour the beans in the press and then pour just enough water over them to bloom. 6 stirs clockwise and 6 counter (I know, OCD) then I let it bloom for 30 seconds. Fill up the rest of the Aeropress with water, one more stir in each direction, then cap it and let it sit for 90 seconds. 30 second plunge and I have a delicious cup every time!

This is almost exactly what I do. The times are identical, but I use 18g of coffee and my current water temp is 196*. I also top off my mug with water, I think it balances the flavors a bit more than straight out of the press.

i enjoy a strong, on the bitter side of the spectrum, cup of coffee. I have a gas stove esspresso maker which beats the aeropress and electrical coffee makers and not to mention, cheap but I cant take that away on work trips, unless I used a camping stove.
The aeropress gives me a weak tasting coffee, always seem to get a weird after taste. After asking what peoples preferance are for using the maker in question, it varies slightly, I'm now thinking that I am not going to get the coffee I want from it. Maybe its down to the lack of pressure, I know theres resistance in pushing the coffee out but its not 15 bar but I doubt my stove esspresso maker isnt either.

How long are you steeping? I do 2 total minutes with bloom time, but I have some friends that do over 3. That might start to bring out the bitterness.

How hard to have to press? I have never used a scale or anything, but despite what the instructions say, I have my best results when a 30 second press takes some muscle. That is mostly tied to grind size. I usually use a setting that is finer than pour over almost as much as my pour over is finer than French press.

This is almost exactly what I do. The times are identical, but I use 18g of coffee and my current water temp is 196*. I also top off my mug with water, I think it balances the flavors a bit more than straight out of the press.

Interesting! Might have to try that this weekend!

I have a gas stove esspresso maker which beats the aeropress and electrical coffee makers and not to mention, cheap but I cant take that away on work trips, unless I used a camping stove.
Sounds like you just prefer what a moka pot produces -- which isn't espresso either but somewhat similar. You could try to find a small induction plate if your moka pot is made of the right material.

I don't understand why it is so popular.
Different strokes. One size does not fit all.

I prefer short extraction times with the Aeropress. I think that's where it really shines.

My go to method is the Weaver method.

15g very fine grind @ 205* using an inverted method

20s - pour 100g of water
10s - stir coffee grinds
10s - pour 120g of water (220g total)
30s - steep
5s - lock in filter and flip into mug
44s - plunge the coffee... if you're quicker, grind finer; if you're slower, grind coarser

I actually use the Mister Barista Coffee Timer app for Android. It's a paid app, but they have multiple brewing methods for the Aeropress, French Press, V60, Chemex, and Moka Pot. I like it, since it takes all of the thinking out of making a good cup of coffee.

Sounds like you just prefer what a moka pot produces -- which isn't espresso either but somewhat similar. You could try to find a small induction plate if your moka pot is made of the right material.

Different strokes. One size does not fit all.

Induction plate, could work, will have to look. I thought about getting a tiny camping stove which fits in the palm of the hand, then just a small gas canister. Not sure if that would set alarms off in hotels, I assume not.

I've been using an Aeropress for over three years and I like it a lot. You will just have to experiment more to find your "sweet spot". Water around 200 degrees F. You must be more exact in measurements and possibly record these in a notebook to be more consistant in finding out how to get your best cup of coffee. Fresh ground coffee from a roaster best within 2-3 weeks. Longer for fresh roasted beans ground before you use your press. Maybe increasing time in press may help. Good luck. I have three of them. California, Texas and a spare! :thumbup1:

They sell a ton of them so somebody likes them! Great price and great for a decent cup of coffee when camping!

Mike

Last edited:

Beginning to think the same, I've had this for about three years now, only use it when I have to, which is a shame as I like the idea.

From reading this whole thread, I think the crux of the issue is what I have put in bold. I have been using the Aeropress for a number of years. I have never gotten a bitter cup, ever. Strong? Yes. Bitter? Never.

I am a bit of a nerd when it comes to using my Aeropress. Coffee likes a specific temperature range. That range is between 175 and 185 F. Darker roasts do better with the 175 mark and lighter roasts at the 185 mark. I use an electric kettle and heat my water to within this range. I have used both the regular and inverted method, both with great results. I do use a finer grind, almost an espresso grind. I find I get the best flavor extraction from a finer grind.

Taste is subjective. What I like is what I like. What you like is more than likely different from what I like. Nothing wrong with that, it just is. The Aeropress was designed to prevent a bitter cup of coffee from being made. This is contrary to what you are looking for in a good cup of coffee.

I know this post wasn't much help. But hopefully my insights will help you understand that you aren't doing anything wrong, per say. You just don't like what the Aeropress produces.

Top Bottom