What's new

Rocnel SE Razor

The Rocnel SE razor is a brand new single edge razor made in Turkey entirely of stainless steel that has been creating a lot of buzz in the shaving forums. If you've missed it, here is a little background.

The Rocnel uses a double edge razor blade split in half and retails for the unbelievable price of $25 (plus shipping from Turkey). Mine was under $40 delivered.

View attachment 660030

It arrived in a sturdy cardboard box wrapped in tissue on a bed of burlap.

View attachment 660031

It features a unique design that is extremely simple. The head consists of a single block of stainless steel with a channel milled to form the safety bar, a thin curved slit to hold the blade, and a threaded hole for the handle stud. That's it.

To use it, a double edge blade is split in half by bending it. The half blade is held by the ends and inserted into the slit until it seats at the bottom of the slit.

$rocnel7.jpg

Once seated the end tabs are snapped off by pushing with a thumb. The slit is curved and the springiness of the blade holds it in place. This is all extremely easy and the whole process takes a few seconds.

$rocnel4.jpg

It may not sound like it but this is enough to hold the blade securely in place. I experienced no problems with the blade moving, or with the blade chatter often encountered with DE razors.

With this substantial head and a solid stainless handle the razor is on the heavy side, weighing in at 4.85 oz, nearly as much as a Mongoose. The handle is medium length and deeply knurled. Smooth and lined handles are also available.

$sotd5_18.jpg

After 4 shaves I've found the razor to be moderately aggressive and exceptionally smooth. It will eventually be offered in three levels of aggressiveness but right now only the middle level is available.

The shave feels a lot like the Shake Sharp razor, not surprising since that is another single edge razor that uses a DE blade. I tried Personna Lab Blue and Med Prep blades which worked well, but the razor really strutted its stuff with a Feather blade, delivering a couple of "Wow!" BBS shaves, with no irritation or weepers.

The razor has one quirk. Note in the picture above that the edges of the blade protrude slightly from the razor. This is by design, as the blade would not seat properly if the razor were any wider. In addition, the blade is removed by flicking these edges with a fingernail.

It is possible to nick yourself with these edges when shaving around the nose or ears if you aren't aware of this. I managed to nip my ear lobe on my first shave. A tiny cut - didn't even require the styptic pencil. I adjusted my technique slightly and it was no longer an issue.

Rocnel is an up-and-coming company that will also be introducing a stainless steel razor with a sliding cap that takes the Feather Artist Club blades, a DE with a sliding top and possibly an SE using the classic Gem blade.

The Rocnel is being sold by Extrashaving, a Turkish retailer of shaving supplies. It is currently out of stock but is expected to be available again by the end of the month.

This would be a decent razor with a 3 figure price tag. At its current price it is an amazing razor.

--Bob

I bought all handle types from Rocnel, here is the side by side photo. For 12Usd a all stainless steel handle in this quality, I highly recommend my friends as I mentioned before. They fit all the Gems, vintages etc.

proxy.php

Also Onur from our local shaving form shared this picture of his RocnelSe, I fell in love with this photo, just wanted to share with you guys.

proxy.php

Not yet - latest word from Rocnel is that extrashaving will have them back in stock in 15 days.

--Bob

Great looks,very futuristic.....That the blade is removed by "flicking" the blade ends means there is some play in the slot...

[MENTION=28956]malocchio[/MENTION]
As a daily user I can assure you there is no blade play what so ever. ıt has a curve in the slot, that causes the blade to be hold tight.
[MENTION=103843]Ericaw[/MENTION]
Nope a half DE blade.

[FONT=&amp]Friends, for a week, I quit smoking. From 3 pack a day, I transfered to e cigarette. My priority was this e cigarette thing, thats why I was away from shaving community and our form for a while.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Today owner of extra shaving, has called me saying they are back in stock with rocnel. Also give some more good news that, from the customer feedbacks, they changed the design little bit. Doubled the foam opening and also now its a open comb design I think today or tomorrow it will be on ready to order from the[/FONT] site.

[FONT=&amp]Just wanted to give you guys heads up to news from my country.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Best regards

[/FONT]
proxy.php

proxy.php
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

I know this sounds amateur on my part, but how do you go about breaking the blades in half?

Great looking razor by the way.

I know this sounds amateur on my part, but how do you go about breaking the blades in half?

Great looking razor by the way.

Keeping the blade in the wrapper, carefully bend the blade in half and it will snap. Open the wrapper and remove the half of blade and store the other half in the razor. Some folks put on gloves for protection.

Other folks use a tin shear and cut in half.

Handsome razor, but you won't find me trying it out. Too much work. I'm a follower of the KISS rule. If it works for you, enjoy!

[FONT=&amp]Friends, for a week, I quit smoking. From 3 pack a day, I transfered to e cigarette. My priority was this e cigarette thing, thats why I was away from shaving community and our form for a while.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Today owner of extra shaving, has called me saying they are back in stock with rocnel. Also give some more good news that, from the customer feedbacks, they changed the design little bit. Doubled the foam opening and also now its a open comb design I think today or tomorrow it will be on ready to order from the[/FONT] site.

[FONT=&amp]Just wanted to give you guys heads up to news from my country.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Best regards

[/FONT]
proxy.php

proxy.php
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

OC Rocnel, huh?

Nice! :thumbup1:

No. You can order your choice of open or closed comb.

Or you could - the OC version sold out almost immediately. The original is still available at the time of this writing.

--Bob

I love the way that Rocnel are producing a variety of heavy SS razors at a really good price point.

It's a dream come true for the wetshaving community (a bit like the plastic clones of vintage classic razors).

Everybody wins here!

Top Bottom