What's new

CRSW LE Chypre Sombre

Managed to purchase this soap in the ceramic bowl today. Review for both to come. I hope some other B&Bers managed to snag some.

Managed to purchase this soap in the ceramic bowl today. Review for both to come. I hope some other B&Bers managed to snag some.
If you blinked it was sold out. I was lucky. Looking forward to trying it. Tomorrow is an American barbershop morning for me.

Hope everyone else that ordered some got theirs in good condition.

I hadn't realized quite how large this bowl is. It's utterly cavernous inside. Quality is quite exceptional.

The soap itself is very nice. I went for BBS, used no aftershave, and my skin feels exceptional. The scent reminds me of Irish Springs soap.

Photos and follow on thoughts to come.

$image.jpg

had my first go round with Le Chypre Sombre and here are some initial thoughts.....

Jar: handmade, fits well in my hand, lid could use a bit more to grasp onto for removal. Maybe SWAMBO will let me keep it on the counter, that's how attractive it is. Loading from the jar was easy, I used my Simpson M7. I did not build lather in bowl, just load and then face lather

Scent: it is a clean and refreshing scent. i might even say its on the mild side. I am horrible at detailed scent descriptions, but this is one that liked off the bat. on lathering the scent became more pronounced and thoroughly enjoyed that. I would say its (a little) milder than Olivia Colonia Mediterrania

Performance: its Select V2, and it performed just like the V2 American Barbershop I have. I usually load with a slightly wet brush then build the lather on my face, dipping in water as I go along. Slickness/cushion all there as expected. Post shave feel gets high marks from me.

Finished lathering and starting pass 1
$image.jpg

Ready for pass 1
$image.jpg
as I want to make this more on the soap, not the shave, I'll just quickly mention what else I used.....
vintage OC Gillette (PIF from @graydog)
AS: Fine Green Vetiver (this might be too overpowering for the soap)

Overall: I am very pleased with the whole package of this soap. For the record, I do not own any special bowls for soaps, this is my first. I also have to mention fantastic customer service by Larry at CRSW, he is great to deal with and its that service plus great products thats going to keep me coming back. (only wish there were samples sold.......)

Last edited:
My only complaint is that the inside lip of the jar is unglazed. Seems like it wouldn't be good for the hairs rubbing on it.

Top Bottom