What's new

What's the key to lather hard soaps

Hard soaps become easier to lather when they are used. Once used, they soften up a bit and work wonders. Some folks add some hot water to the puck. Others use a wet brush. But what works for me when it is new and the soap is hard, is to use it, load it more than normal, and use it frequently.

Patience, and water. Drizzle some water on top of soap, and let it sit for about five minutes. Start lathering, adding a little water at a time. Repeat as necessary. It works; you just have to give it time.

Proper Foreplay!
Once you get it, you'll never regret!
Enjoy!

proxy.php

Incredible time lapse photography! I really enjoy all your posts, amazing talent you have there.

the key is ... using a good brush. even a small knot (20) with good backbone (two band badger) will be a dramatic difference in performance.

Water is the key. I don't do any blooming or any prep or anything. I just start out with a fairly wet brush and start swirling on the puck. It may take a little practice to figure out the water retaining qualities of your chosen brush and the required amount of water for a particular soap, but with very little trial and error you can master it, and nail it every time.

Which hard soap are you taking about? If its the modern GFT, no advice will help you.

Yeah, I have a GFT Eucris- great scent, but lather is weak and disappears. Must be the formula as their creams are great.
Thinking of using my GFT Eucris as a bath soap instead.

IMO, the keys are:

#1. To get the proper ratio of product to water. This varies with different soaps. Generally more than you think!
#2. To work with the soap and brush to get a really good lather. For me this is on my face with a badger!

Hope this helps.

Synthetics are fine for hard soaps.
I prefer boar brushes but my RR synthetic does work great too.

The key is practice and becoming familiar with each different soap.

Does anyone use a synthetic for soaps or just for creams?

My Maggard's synthetic doesn't work nearly as well on soaps as my finest badgers which have a lot more backbone and are also a lot more dense. I only use it for creams, but others here like synths for soaps as well as face lathering. I politely disagree, but that's only MY preference.

The only hard soaps I have tried so far are conks cause I love the bay rum scent and then Williams back in the day. But had so much trouble with conks that I just stuck with TOBS and Proraso. But want to venture out into the world of more hard pucks. Like sterling Barbershop and GFT and tobac and many many others.
I don't consider Conks a hard soap or a very good soap. I have a puck of Conks Almond that I will have to try one day. I just can't see myself using it with so many better options on my shelf. Soaps like Stirling are softer and usually load easier than triple milled soaps like Tabac. Both will give you great lather.

Don't judge shaving soaps with Conks. Try an artisan or triple milled soaps like DR Harris, Tabac etc. and you will see just how easy building great lather is.

Yeah, I have a GFT Eucris- great scent, but lather is weak and disappears. Must be the formula as their creams are great.

Eucris did a fine job for me this morning.
Let it hydrate while taking shower, then loaded heavily and finished lathering on face.
It seems to like hot water.
Lather held up well from one side to next.
Nice post shave feel as well. And, of course, the Eucris scent.

proxy.php

I usually just add a splash of hot water to the puck before I get in the shower. I soak my brush (unless I'm using a synthetic) a few minutes, squeeze out most of the water. Then I dump off any remaining water on the puck and get to lathering. No problems so far with this method. Good luck.

This works great for me also.

Which hard soap are you taking about? If its the modern GFT, no advice will help you.

My puck of GFT Eucris (2012 or there about) is almost gone. I hydrate the puck at first with a little hot tap water, pour that off when I am ready to lather.

Load lots and start to build the lather in a scuttle/cup. Then i finish building the lather on my face. I can feel when it turns into a nice yogurt-like lather.

It does have a narrow window of how much water to add, but the current GFT soaps work great for me, and will be replaced. I also use the violet.

I loved a GFT violet soap I had. It was around 2012 as well. I've read plenty of horrible reviews about the newer version and never ordered another puck. The formula I had was Potassium Palmate first ingredient. The ones that receive the horrible reviews were after a reformulation and have Sodium Palmate as the first ingredient.

The only hard soaps I have tried so far are conks cause I love the bay rum scent and then Williams back in the day. But had so much trouble with conks that I just stuck with TOBS and Proraso. But want to venture out into the world of more hard pucks. Like sterling Barbershop and GFT and tobac and many many others.
Look up the topic about "Any love for Conk" or something similar. Several people use it and lather it well. Lots of suggestions, including my own,in that thread.

Top Bottom