What's new

Astra's 100 pack $10 dollars

For head shaving, I do one pass and I throw it out. Pop in a new one and do my final pass. I only do 2 passes in total. I will save the 2nd pass blade for 1 more use as a 2nd pass blade before throwing it out. I shave my head everyday so I'm going through a lot of blades :001_smile

I'm new to DE razors and I don't mind the cost of DE blades. I was paying anywhere from $15-20/month on cartridge blades before.
Do what make you happy that is what it is all about, but......

I also shave my head (almost) everyday and my cheeks and neck. I get at least 10 shaves out of almost any blade usually more. Your 1 days worth of blades could last me a month. As you said your still saving money, but you could be saving enough to buy a new soap or user grade vintage razor every month or 2.

Also IMHO, you're tossing the blades before they even get good.

For head shaving, I do one pass and I throw it out. Pop in a new one and do my final pass. I only do 2 passes in total. I will save the 2nd pass blade for 1 more use as a 2nd pass blade before throwing it out. I shave my head everyday so I'm going through a lot of blades :001_smile

I'm new to DE razors and I don't mind the cost of DE blades. I was paying anywhere from $15-20/month on cartridge blades before.
You did say you were new to DE shaving, so you get a pass! [emoji57]

Welcome to B&B! If you have any questions or need help, don't hesitate to ask...

Geeze, (10) shaves from (1) blade. I don't get it. I see how Barbers always strop before each shave, But how in the hang do you get (10+) even (20) shaves out of a single blade? I do multiple passes, re-lather, touchups, then rinse. I only shave around 1830 hours each day. At 0600, my face feels like sandpaper. Oh, and btw. since we brought up saving money.... if anyone has an R41 head they want to part ways with. Hit me up with a price. I know that you can order them straight from Muhle, But I want to give someone with a "throat cutting" experience a chance to part ways.

Geeze, (10) shaves from (1) blade. I don't get it. I see how Barbers always strop before each shave, But how in the hang do you get (10+) even (20) shaves out of a single blade? I do multiple passes, re-lather, touchups, then rinse. I only shave around 1830 hours each day. At 0600, my face feels like sandpaper. Oh, and btw. since we brought up saving money.... if anyone has an R41 head they want to part ways with. Hit me up with a price. I know that you can order them straight from Muhle, But I want to give someone with a "throat cutting" experience a chance to part ways.
I used to toss a blade after 3 or 4 shaves. When I first heard of people getting numbers in the 20s and 30s I thought it sounded crazy too. Then one day realized I had just finished my 5th shave on a GSB and it still felt great. Out of curiosity I kept going I took it to 12 then accidently dropped it in the sink and said well that was a good enough run. Soon after that I saw a thread for one blade February and signed up. I wound up taking my next GSB to 33. I usually do a 2 pass head, neck, and cheek shave and get a DFS.

I don't really do anything special just rinse the blade well every time and flip it over every now and then. There are guys who do use different trick to prolong the blades. Some guys even get blades into the triple digits. For more info check out this thread.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/431416-Excalibur-Club-Blade-Longevity-DE-SE-and-Injector

I'll read into that forum. I guess if every blade only got 3 or 4 shaves out of them, than there wouldn't be any competition or favorites. They would all be the same.

Let us know what you think. The Gillette Wilkinsons seem to be a pretty polarizing blade; a certain percentage of guys find them rough and not sharp, while many (including me) find them really smooth, fairly sharp, and extremely comfortable. I think they're the best value blade out there, followed closely by Voskhod.
Used them twice so far, last night and then again tonight. Last night in my Black Beauty it felt a little rougher than a GSB or the other Wilkinson swords, but tonight in my black handled super speed it felt much smoother. After seeing the other topic on blade life I think I'm going to see how far I can stretch all my blades from now on.

I did a head shave again today and I didn't toss out the blade after 1 pass. I think I should be able to get 2 shaves out of them. This was after I increased the tension setting on my Futur razor from 2 up to 3. The setting 2 just wasn't cutting it.

My Gillette Adjustable is set to 6 right now. I just finished up on my 5th shave with an old Gillette Thin. Early 70's Late 60's. I love this blade. I need to find more. I joined that Excalibur forum and going to see how far I can stretch this blade before tossing it.

I did a head shave again today and I didn't toss out the blade after 1 pass. I think I should be able to get 2 shaves out of them. This was after I increased the tension setting on my Futur razor from 2 up to 3. The setting 2 just wasn't cutting it.

My Gillette Adjustable is set to 6 right now. I just finished up on my 5th shave with an old Gillette Thin. Early 70's Late 60's. I love this blade. I need to find more. I joined that Excalibur forum and going to see how far I can stretch this blade before tossing it.
:thumbup:

Used them twice so far, last night and then again tonight. Last night in my Black Beauty it felt a little rougher than a GSB or the other Wilkinson swords, but tonight in my black handled super speed it felt much smoother. After seeing the other topic on blade life I think I'm going to see how far I can stretch all my blades from now on.

Interesting! I use a Superspeed 95% of the time, and I've always had good luck with the Indian Swords. I typically get 4 shaves on them. I'll be interested in the results of your longevity test.

For me it depends on the blade and how long my growth is when I shave. I'm consistently getting 4-5 shaves out of my Astra SPs. I'm sure I could push that out further if I wanted but honestly what's the point? At 4-5 shaves per blade I'm getting good value out of my purchase.

When I tried the Personnas I went out to about 12 shaves without any issues. With those I average about 8 shaves. They are probably my favorite blade right now. I could probably use these indefinitely but I like switching them out and getting that fresh blade in the razor.

The Voskhods actually feel better after a couple of shaves. I will usually get the 4-5 shaves I average with the Astra SPs with these. They are good blades and the value is there. The Derbys are probably only 3-4 shaves each but again that is enough value to satisfy me.

I haven't pushed a blade to it's limit yet. I wonder how long I could go with a Personna. The bottom line is that everyone is different and they will have their own personal preferences regarding number of uses for their blades. Considering I only shave about 2-3 times per week all of the above averages mean my blades last me a while.

it's so much more cost effective than the cartridges and provides me with such good results I don't really worry too much about my shaves per blade average. I'm getting my money's worth no matter where my averages might fall.

No no one can tell you that you're wrong. It's your choice!

If you want to throw them away after 2 shaves, it is your purchase made with your money, and as we all know DE blades are relatively cheap. You will always have a nearly factory-sharp blade, if that is what you mean by the DSC experience.
Of course, those of my parents' generation, who experienced and remembered depression times, would roll in their graves at such indifference to "wastefulness" and "extravagance".

Well I'm still at it with my Gillette thin and I'm waiting 2 more hours for my next shave. I'll be 7 shaves in on the same blade. What I meant by the dollar shave club experience, they advertise that you can always enjoy a fresh new blade without suffering with stretching logetivity and paying out the rear. I am really glade I posted this forum because now I'm working on my Excalibur title. This has definitely paid off because even if I do see how many shaves that I can get out of one blade, I can still pick a shave number that I can comfortably settle on. But it won't be number 2 or 3. What a waste of wonderful shaves.

This has definitely paid off because even if I do see how many shaves that I can get out of one blade, I can still pick a shave number that I can comfortably settle on. But it won't be number 2 or 3. What a waste of wonderful shaves.
:thumbup:

My first shave today by an Astra SP was fantastic..! If I can't get at least get 7 shaves from it I won't order any more. This blade was from a sampler pack BTW. Normal medium beard is what I have.

I ordered the Platniums. Very Smooth shave. I havent pushed them past the 3rd shave yet. I will as soon as I am done with my Gillette. I kinda got caught up with another forum. I only have one face..... Actually disapointed about that now.

I've finished my third and going to my 4th on this same blade. For me, as long as I keep the pre-shave piping hot water face massage with my brush, I've had a two pass + touch up with the Astras, so maybe I'm getting a longer life. I got 6 off of Derby, but last time I had Astra in the rotation ....I lost count!

So last night I tried something new. I took my Proraso soap and put in the microwave for a few seconds. It melted the top a little bit and created a yellowish ring around the edges. I took some water and sprinkled it on top. Left it while I went and showered while my Omega was soaking. didn't see any difference in the way that it loaded. Little thicker. It was just an idea. Only 10 more hours left until I can shave... dang this day is long already. Anyone else feel like when they prep their counter space that they are prepping for surgery? My wife thinks I'm acting ridicules. I think she is just jealous because I found something that I can do that doesn't involve her. She says that I have a "problem" what ever the hang that means.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Two roads ...

1. Toss after predetermined number, based on experience.

2. Use that rascal 'til it pulls - almost always in mid-shave, and creating a soapy blade-changeout.

AA

Top Bottom