What's new

Name That Painting Game

Hi Owen I'll throw my hat in. This one is housed locally in our Art Gallery of Hamilton. Probably quite easy.

proxy.php

dave

Maybe overly familiar to me... Canadian painter from the Maritimes (East Coast). I'm probably not very good with clues either.

Outside of Canada has works at MOMA and museums in Rotterdam, Cologne, Vienna, Paris & Berlin.

dave

Last edited:
"Horse and Train" by Alex Colville.
He used to live about 5 km from where I live, while he was teaching at Mount Allison University.
That painting was used for Bruce Cockburn's "Night Vision" album cover.

Alrighty, then. Let's try something a bit more . . . difficult:

$malevich_BlackSquare1913_23_s.jpg :devil:

This one has stuck with me ever since my Art History lecture days in 1974 (or thereabouts).
You must give the artist's name and the full title (in English).

Okay, I'll let everybody off the hook.
Kazimir Malevich's Basic suprematist Element: The Square.
No mention of the colour, and further investigation reveals that it was a drawing. "Black Square" was a painting with more white around the edges.

I guess he thought he was onto a good thing, so he painted "Black Circle".
$220px-Black_circle.jpg

Alacrity59 - You were the first with an almost correct answer, so I guess the ball is in your court.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
John that was fun. Could you find another one for us? All mine would be from the Group of Seven or somesuch.

Okay. Here's one, fairly representative of the artist.

$ax185-6bb4-9jpeg-393814b141e6fde8.jpg

I might even have seen this one (or maybe it was one very similar?) in person (so to speak).
It's large, and it's gorgeous.

No idea. Is it good that I'm seeing things within the wheat and the sky - like a soldier in the center?
or am I imagining it on my phone screen?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
No idea. Is it good that I'm seeing things within the wheat and the sky - like a soldier in the center?
or am I imagining it on my phone screen?

Hint: It, and another painting by the same artist, just recently made the news

Top Bottom