What's new

Wolfman SB Arrived - My Thoughts

Last June I decided to join the Wolfman razor waiting list and my number was called a few weeks ago. It was a very long wait, more than I anticipated, but it didn't bother me much. I'm guilty of wanting instant gratification, so it was actually kind of nice to put it out of mind and be excited when my turn came.

I asked James for a polished stainless steel slant bar with a standard gap. I've been really fond of my Bulldog handle length so I asked if he could do the same and he said it wouldn't be a problem. I know super light aluminum razors are en vogue right now, but I didn't like the light feel of the Fat Boy Tech, so I stuck with stainless steel.

Fit and finish on first glance were absolutely top notch. No flaws in the polish that I could find, although I haven't looked too hard. It looks like chrome almost. There is no wiggle room for the blade at all. The design seems very solid compared to most other razors.

I've tried a number of razors and settled on a Weber stainless as my only razor. The Feather AS-D2 was beautiful but a bit too mild forcing me to apply pressure and causing irritation. The Above the Tie M1 was also beautiful and felt great during the shave but I had more irritation afterwards. The Weber has an intuitive shave angle and I get "DFS" shaves every day with little irritation.

Initially, I thought the Wolfman was going to be far too aggressive. The blade is exposed slightly more than I'm used to, kind of like a bit more aggressive Feather. I could feel it scraping a bit when I gave it a quick dry test on the check last night. The blade doesn't seem to be as angled in the razor so it requires tilting the handle slight more parallel to the ground.

Anticipating a bit of disappointment, I lathered up with my Shavemac 2-band silvertip and Fine AB soap. I did two passes, WTG and ATG just as I always do. Surprisingly, the razor didn't feel anywhere near as aggressive in use. Again, I had to use a bit steeper shave angle but it was not unintuitive, even with my muscle memory trained to the Weber. It did feel the tiniest bit more aggressive during the shave but not uncomfortable. It felt like it did a great job slicing the whiskers, especially on the ATG pass.

Irritation after the shave is my true test, and splashing on Speick there was very little burn. No "hot spots" like I will sometimes get with the Weber. Rubbing my hands around the face it definitely felt closer than the Weber as well. I need to give it a good long test run but right now I'm very impressed.

I'll try and get some pictures later today.

Here's a picture of today's shave

proxy.php

Thanks for your thoughts Jarick. I currently use a Weber PH for my daily driver and any time I try one of my other razors I wish I had used the weber. But I've been very interested in the Wolfman and I'm on his mailing list for when he starts taking orders again.

Did you get the standard blade gap with your razor? I was considering asking for an increased gap but if the wolfman standard blade gap already exposes more blade than the Weber I may change my mind!

I'd love to hear your thoughts after you've used it for a few weeks!

Thanks for your thoughts Jarick. I currently use a Weber PH for my daily driver and any time I try one of my other razors I wish I had used the weber. But I've been very interested in the Wolfman and I'm on his mailing list for when he starts taking orders again.

Did you get the standard blade gap with your razor? I was considering asking for an increased gap but if the wolfman standard blade gap already exposes more blade than the Weber I may change my mind!

I know exactly what you mean! I bought a Weber PH in early 2014 and quickly sold all my other razors. Since then I tried a number of others including Feather and ATT but eventually sold them all as the Weber just felt better overall.

This Wolfman has the standard blade gap. I was considering getting a reduced gap because I like milder razors but thought I would roll the dice. Depending on how it feels over the coming days and weeks maybe I will ask about it. I understand that he makes these modifications for customers.

I'm a 3017 guy so I like to keep my variables minimal and make judgments after using a product exclusively for an extended period of time. So I will definitely keep my thoughts here on an ongoing basis.

I've got Feathers and iKons (and I had ATTs), but my Wolfman outclasses all of them.

If James makes a slant or an SE of any variety, I'll jump on that list.

Very nice Intro. I've had my Wolfman OC for about 4 or 5 months now. It's my daily driver. There isn't a 3 piece nicer that I have encountered.

Beautiful Jarick! The fit and finish on these is unparalleled IMO. They shave excellent as well. Whats not to like? Pretty sure you will continue to be impressed. A great shaving implement that will continue to look and perform great! Enjoy. They are not easy to obtain. Ha.

I have the standard gap OC and I find it much more comfortable than the Weber. I had to sell my Weber because it was too aggressive. I would order the standard gap and send it back for adjustment if needed. I have put a shim in my Wolfman and it was still a comfortable shave. I might even like it a little better than the standard gap, but I like it so much that I don't want to be without it while it's being adjusted.

I have the standard gap OC and I find it much more comfortable than the Weber. I had to sell my Weber because it was too aggressive. I would order the standard gap and send it back for adjustment if needed. I have put a shim in my Wolfman and it was still a comfortable shave. I might even like it a little better than the standard gap, but I like it so much that I don't want to be without it while it's being adjusted.

Interesting. How would you compare the two in terms of efficiency?

When I first bought my Weber I was going from a Merkur 34C and it was WAY to aggressive feeling. It was like I was taking a few layers of skin off. But eventually I shifted to a steeper angle (the handle more perpendicular to the ground, while I think of a shallow angle as the handle more parallel to the ground and more perpendicular to the face) and my shaves improved. After awhile I just got great shaves without irritation. I assume my technique improved..

With the Weber I still feel close shaved late in the day. With the 34C and other razors the 5 o'clock shadow on me is more pronounced. So it certainly seems to be more efficient that the other razors I've tried.

But I only have my Weber, the 34C, a Razorock Stealth Slant, and a Razorock baby smooth. I gifted the baby smooth to my father in law and I use the 34C on travel because I don't want to lose any of my other razors! But now I get razor burn on the 34C trying to get as close of a shave as I get with the Weber!

I've had my Wolfman polished DC since last May and it was my RAD killer as well. I liked it so much that I got the other two heads and some handles before the price increase...

..I know what you are thinking...

I have two boys and they will definitely be passed down to them and we're expecting a 3rd son. Definitely heirloom quality with custom engraving he offers.

Today I tried a 3-pass shave. I noticed more irritation on the cheeks (occurred on the first pass, likely from either too much pressure or wrong angle). Still a good shave overall.

Tomorrow I might half the face with the Weber and half with the Wolfman.

Today I tried a 3-pass shave. I noticed more irritation on the cheeks (occurred on the first pass, likely from either too much pressure or wrong angle). Still a good shave overall.

Tomorrow I might half the face with the Weber and half with the Wolfman.

Ah, the old Weberfman shave. Sounds good!

Top Bottom