What's new

New and I have questions.

So I am new here as the title says and I've been using this shavette for about 7 months with mostly love but some hate. I find that I cut my face even when being careful and slow. Is it just me or do I have cheap stuff? Also the lather I have been seeing is waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy more than I get. Am I not pushing down enough?

Here is my stuff.

Btw I just ordered a sight unseen from whipped dog and can't wait.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited by a moderator:
My lather is basically non existent and I have to lather my face up like 3 times because the lather disappears as I'm shaving the other side.

I have never tried Conk soaps (I don't live in the USA) but I would suggest that there are plenty of better options. How much time do you spend loading soap onto your brush? Do you wet the soap properly before using it?

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
A real straight razor is easier to shave with than a shavette.

DJH the moderator knows about the soap, but no djh right now.

There is a straight razor forum here at B and B.

Okay as for loading and stuff I have no idea what you're talking about sir...lol. So I guess I've been doing it wrong. I usually wet the brush then slosh it around till I have some lather then put it on my face. I usually "slosh" for about 15 secondsish... Just a guess. Some instructions would be amazing. Maybe that's why I cut myself up. I usually get frustrated with the lather and just shave with like no lather at all.

Okay as for loading and stuff I have no idea what you're talking about sir...lol. So I guess I've been doing it wrong. I usually wet the brush then slosh it around till I have some lather then put it on my face. I usually "slosh" for about 15 secondsish... Just a guess. Some instructions would be amazing. Maybe that's why I cut myself up. I usually get frustrated with the lather and just shave with like no lather at all.

Sounds as if you have far too little soap.

Your brush should be soaked in warm water before use. Boar hair absorbs water and softens - after a few minutes of soaking (or after your shower) give the brush a squeeze to remove most of the water and then start swirling it on the soap puck. Try doing so for a minute and you can always adjust the time later.

That should build up a soap paste on the brush - start working that paste on your face and add a couple of drops of water to your brush occasionally. Keep working the lather and adding water until it is slick and shiny. Once it has reached that stage, you are ready to shave.

Don't forget to come back and give us some more feedback. Good luck!

Here is a video that describes pretty much how I do it. Instead of your hand, go to your face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ND-D3Y5u-g

I can't comment on the shavette - but without great lather there will be no good shave.

I would also recommend to use a different soap - but in the meantime:

-soak your brush in warm (not hot) water for ~15min
-shake/wring the brush really dry
-start loading - you said 15 sec - I challenge you to load at least 1 min.
-if during the loading you start to hear a pasty sound and the proto lather that starts to develop looks pasty - add a couple of drops of water - then continue to load - again do this for at least 1 min.
-now start to build your lather (face or bowl) - again if it looks pasty - add JUST a couple drops of water
-incorporate the water very slowly until you have a thick glossy lather

Check out this video - it is my golden standard - just don't wet your soap before hand, it is a glycerine soap and might melt away:

Again I would recommend to also look into different soaps...especially if you can't get a similar lather to the one in the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I am new here as the title says and I've been using this shavette for about 7 months with mostly love but some hate. I find that I cut my face even when being careful and slow. Is it just me or do I have cheap stuff? Also the lather I have been seeing is waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy more than I get. Am I not pushing down enough?

Here is my stuff.

Btw I just ordered a sight unseen from whipped dog and can't wait.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

No lather pics now, but I can in the morning. I'll even make a small video

My lather is basically non existent and I have to lather my face up like 3 times because the lather disappears as I'm shaving the other side.

Welcome to our little forum on Shaving Brushes [MENTION=110357]WOLFITZ[/MENTION]! The guys have already posted some good videos for you. Loading the brush refers to the process of slowly swirling the brush on the soap in order to build up a paste on the bristles. After Loading, you can then move on to the Building step. During the Building step the actual lather is created by moving the brush at a faster speed than the Loading step and stopping every 15 seconds or so to add a few more drops off water to the tips of the brush.

Plenty of good tips above.

1, Soak your brush while you shower to moisten it. Shake excess water before you start to lather.

2. Likewise, soak your soap while you shower to soften it up.

3. Drain soap water, then swirl brush vigorously on the puck with moderate pressure. Mantra is "load it like you hate it."

4. You will get good lather. If you live in an area with hard water, good lather is harder than with soft water. Some hard water shavers here use distilled water for making lather.

5. Shavettes are a challenge. Lots of shavers here find true straights easier to manage.

6. Good luck!

Colonel conk isn't bad soap. Sure, there are better. But it's on par with Van Der Hagen. I've used it and actually like it better than VDH. It just left my skin oily feeling. Either way, replacing the soap won't fix the problem. It's a very usable soap. I'd say practice with what you have, and when it's gone, shop around for different ones if you want. You never know, you may find you like it just fine once you get the lather down.

First of all WOLFITZ, welcome to B&B.

I cannot see your pics, so I don't know what razor you are using, but if it's a Parker (or similar) that takes a half DE blade, these are very unforgiving of technique and can cut and nick in even experienced hands. For a shavette I always recommend a vintage Weck Sextoblade or Weck Hair Shaper which can be found inexpensively on eBay and blades can be found at Sally Beauty or online. If you have the money, the Feather shavette is also a great choice. If you are getting a real straight from Whipped Dog, you should notice that it is much easier to use than your current shavette. It's shave performance will be closer to that of a Weck or Feather.

Conk soap is not great. Usable sure, but just an OK soap. I'd recommend reading the B&B Recommended Lather Technique for help in getting the best lather possible from it.

Beyond that, I'd recommend getting a better soap. There are some great soaps to be had for around $10. And those will last longer than your conk soap, so they end up being close in price when you consider the amount of shaves you get from each puck.

Does the soap puck break loose from the bowl you have it in when loading your brush with soap? If it does, you might consider melting it to fit the container - it will make loading much easier.
I agree with the suggestions above but will add - practice your lather making when you are not shaving a few times to really get it down. Once the brush is loaded with soap build on your hand or another bowl, or even right on the puck. This will allow you to experiment with how much to load and how much water to add, without feeling the need to get shaving right away.
That yellow handle with the natural boar bristles is a nice looking combo!
Good luck!

I can't add much more than the others above, but my initial thought that your lather is lacking seems to be correct. Feel free to still post here after trying some of the techniques mentioned so we can try and give you feedback.

You guys are awesome! Lots of great input. Yeah I haven't been lathering at all. I've been basically washing my face with the razor lol. Yes it is a half DE blade. Very very unforgiving. But I have gotten to the point now where I rarely nick myself. Should make for a better shave with a straight. Also thank you for all the invites and welcomes. I plan to def lend a hand when I'm able

Top Bottom