What's new

Anyone ever had bad experiences when letting someone handle your pen?

my mother knows about my pens and is usually pretty careful with them until one evening i was sitting with her, my siblings, step-father, while my son was coloring. she saw the cat started scratching and grabbed the nearest writing device, and chucked it. i asked her what she threw and she replied with "just a sharpie". well when i picked up this "sharpie" i noticed it was my '48 parker 51. after about a thousand apologies i make fun of her every time she picks up a writing utensil. but i wont hand my pens to just anyone just because. least we got a laugh out it after the pen was found to be undamaged.

Well the Parker 51 pen has certainly withstood the test of time and is a classic as proven by your mother throwing that so called sharpie. Glad your fine pen was undamaged and you now have a good inside joke as well!

It's always weird to me when I read stories like this, i.e. people "manhandling" fountain pens. Prior to my first use, I didn't have any warnings to use a light touch or whatever...I just wrote. I didn't even think about it. Same with my friends who I've let use my pens. No one has ever pressed down, sprung any tines, tried to forcibly pull off a screw cap or anything like that. One person was afraid to use a pen of mine once because she thought she'd break it, because she heard that it was so "different" from ballpoints or rollerballs. But the others start writing, "get it", and adjust accordingly. Just like I did at first.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, because there are plenty of examples where it does, obviously. But it's just odd...because it's not rocket science. It's a pen. And you RARELY need a true feather-light touch except with the softest of flexy nibs. So I don't get why so many people seem to have difficulty.

It's always weird to me when I read stories like this, i.e. people "manhandling" fountain pens. Prior to my first use, I didn't have any warnings to use a light touch or whatever...I just wrote. I didn't even think about it. Same with my friends who I've let use my pens. No one has ever pressed down, sprung any tines, tried to forcibly pull off a screw cap or anything like that. One person was afraid to use a pen of mine once because she thought she'd break it, because she heard that it was so "different" from ballpoints or rollerballs. But the others start writing, "get it", and adjust accordingly. Just like I did at first.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, because there are plenty of examples where it does, obviously. But it's just odd...because it's not rocket science. It's a pen. And you RARELY need a true feather-light touch except with the softest of flexy nibs. So I don't get why so many people seem to have difficulty.

I hear you. I guess we`re sharing the condensed nightmare stories about our bad pen experiences? However we didn`t mention the more often positive stories when nothing bad happened to our fps when allowing someone to handle them. But the guy who pulled my pen clip did it maliciously and it was not a honest accident. You`re fortunate to be around pen savvy people and that nothing bad has happened to your pens.

Last edited:
Its about time I get back into the Forum...

Here's my latest mishandling incident:

Thanks to me bringing fountain pens to work, most people have already stopped even touching them... they just shake their head. But one of my coworkers asked me to show her daughter what a fountain pen is (apparently someone at her school had mentioned it). So I grabbed a selection of pens and for a show and tell event. The whole thing ended up with all three daughters being highly interested in the subject (they're 16, 12 and 9) and wanting to try out these pens... scary!!! But after just a brief instruction they got it pretty quickly (Chinese nibs are nails... and that's good for that). After the Chinese pens, I gave them the Lamy Safari and they really handled themselves well with all of them. No damage to any of the pens.... until the 9 year old got a hold of my TWSBI Eco.... she was smart enough to ask if its a TTO or a slip cap.... but held it on the piston knob... and turned!! INKARAMA!!! lol. The poor thing emptied out a 1/4 filled barrel of Kon Peki into the cap and her hands (she thought she broke it and started to cry).... Had to laugh about it, explained how that all works and told her that as a Fountain Pen user you wear the ink stains on your hands with pride!!!

Long story short... my coworker is now seriously pissed off because all three want fountain pens for school... (since its my fault... I told her I'll get them some Jinhaos and a bottle of Lamy Blue (washable))... enabling the next generation... :tongue_sm

With a little bit of instruction... its usually not a problem... but some people are just ignorant like [MENTION=44809]Radium[/MENTION] had mentioned....

Welcome back [MENTION=105935]Quink[/MENTION]! Glad no real harm or damage done! Well you certainly enabled a new generation. Very cool that at such a young age that they are interested in a fountain pen and I hope they will continue with this for the rest of their lives. I hope they will also remember your good deeds as well. It`s very nice of you to take the time and to gift them some pens and a bottle of ink as well. Sometimes a kind act will last a lifetime to someone in memories.

[MENTION=44809]Radium[/MENTION]
I hope so too.. but they are young and I wouldn't be upset if they decide to not go that route....
This board and all the gentlemen here have been extremely kind and taught me the meaning of PIF... just trying to apply it to daily life... and if I can get someone hooked on Fountain Pens or traditional wet shaving... I'm game:laugh:. Those rabbit holes are there to be gone down into:tongue_sm

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member

Thanks to me bringing fountain pens to work, most people have already stopped even touching them... they just shake their head. But one of my coworkers asked me to show her daughter what a fountain pen is (apparently someone at her school had mentioned it). So I grabbed a selection of pens and for a show and tell event. The whole thing ended up with all three daughters being highly interested in the subject (they're 16, 12 and 9) and wanting to try out these pens... scary!!! But after just a brief instruction they got it pretty quickly (Chinese nibs are nails... and that's good for that). After the Chinese pens, I gave them the Lamy Safari and they really handled themselves well with all of them. No damage to any of the pens.... until the 9 year old got a hold of my TWSBI Eco.... she was smart enough to ask if its a TTO or a slip cap.... but held it on the piston knob... and turned!! INKARAMA!!! lol. The poor thing emptied out a 1/4 filled barrel of Kon Peki into the cap and her hands (she thought she broke it and started to cry).... Had to laugh about it, explained how that all works and told her that as a Fountain Pen user you wear the ink stains on your hands with pride!!!

Long story short... my coworker is now seriously pissed off because all three want fountain pens for school... (since its my fault... I told her I'll get them some Jinhaos and a bottle of Lamy Blue (washable))... enabling the next generation... :tongue_sm

With a little bit of instruction... its usually not a problem... but some people are just ignorant like [MENTION=44809]Radium[/MENTION] had mentioned....

Well played! :thumbup: I think around those ages girls tend to work on their penmanship more than boys. It seemed like every girl I knew had different colors of pens and would embellish their handwriting when they wrote notes and whatnot.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

With a little bit of instruction... its usually not a problem... but some people are just ignorant like @Radium had mentioned....

I am dipping my toes back in, and now I find myself wanting a Lamy2000 again. I may have to pop back out before it's too late.

I bought my then 8 year old daughter a pair of fountain pens (a pink Pelikano type pen, and 1 other that I forget but that was an under $20 fountain pen). She loved the pink ink sample that I used.

Then she decided to stab the nib repeatedly into a piece of cardboard for fun, and destroyed the nib. I let her know not to do that . . .

Needless to say, she has a cheap set of FP's to play with. She does not get to play with my good pens. Yet . . . :tongue_sm

I always carry a ball point when I have a fountain pen on me. I loan them those. I do not hand a fountain pen to but a few people I know very well. I did have someone crack the barrel on a Mont Blanc pencil once and I think the experience served to protect the fountain pens since then. :w00t:

@Radium
I hope so too.. but they are young and I wouldn't be upset if they decide to not go that route....
This board and all the gentlemen here have been extremely kind and taught me the meaning of PIF... just trying to apply it to daily life... and if I can get someone hooked on Fountain Pens or traditional wet shaving... I'm game:laugh:. Those rabbit holes are there to be gone down into:tongue_sm

Right on [MENTION=105935]Quink[/MENTION]! Wishing you good karma! Oh that rabbit hole I`ve already got a few more fountain pens on my target list.:001_rolle

I am dipping my toes back in, and now I find myself wanting a Lamy2000 again. I may have to pop back out before it's too late.

If I can do a bit of enabling? The Lamy 2000 is a very nice pen and it writes really nice. There is usually a few posting their Lamy 2000 in the pen of the day thread. :thumbup:

I bought my then 8 year old daughter a pair of fountain pens (a pink Pelikano type pen, and 1 other that I forget but that was an under $20 fountain pen). She loved the pink ink sample that I used.

Then she decided to stab the nib repeatedly into a piece of cardboard for fun, and destroyed the nib. I let her know not to do that . . .

Needless to say, she has a cheap set of FP's to play with. She does not get to play with my good pens. Yet . . . :tongue_sm

Your daughter will be in for a treat once she is old enough to use your fine pens!

I always carry a ball point when I have a fountain pen on me. I loan them those. I do not hand a fountain pen to but a few people I know very well. I did have someone crack the barrel on a Mont Blanc pencil once and I think the experience served to protect the fountain pens since then. :w00t:

Ouch for your Mont Blanc pencil! Wise decision for carrying a ball point pen for lending out and good to be selective on who gets to touch your fountain pens. One just never knows what will happen until it does?

Well the Parker 51 pen has certainly withstood the test of time and is a classic as proven by your mother throwing that so called sharpie. Glad your fine pen was undamaged and you now have a good inside joke as well!

this pen has for sure withstood the test of time and hopefully be in service much longer. i always think twice about placing my pens on a table in my parents house now haha

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
A Parker51 destroyed my desire for other pens.

this pen has for sure withstood the test of time and hopefully be in service much longer. i always think twice about placing my pens on a table in my parents house now haha

Well If I may? Your pen now is designated the P51 flying Mustang (Parker) after that flying fountain pen incident! Very understandable about being extra cautious now :laugh:

Top Bottom