What's new

Anyone find Proraso overrated?

Is it just me, or is Proraso a little on the overrated side? I acknowledge that it's easy to work with for beginners, has a variety of Flavors to choose from, and is a step-up from Canned crap. But I find its slickness to be alright in comparison to Godrej.

Anyone else feel the same? I usually say that Proraso is good, not great.

Is it just me, or is Proraso a little on the overrated side? I acknowledge that it's easy to work with for beginners, has a variety of Flavors to choose from, and is a step-up from Canned crap. But I find its slickness to be alright in comparison to Godrej.

Anyone else feel the same? I usually say that Proraso is good, not great.

I agree with you 100%. I have 3 co bigelow tubes and 3 proraso red tubes. Don't care for the smell on either of them. They are good creams, but you can get other shaving creams less expensive that are just as good if not better. Proraso is overrated.. Very overrated I'd say. I don't find any proraso creams to be that slick. I won;t be buying any proraso tubes anytime soon. I got kiss my face cool mint shaving cream and even this performs slightly better than proraso imo.

I recently got a job lot of 1 each of 150ml Proraso Red, White, Blue & Red creams + a 500ml Green cream for the crazy price of €13,00 + €12,00 shipping from Italy to Spain at auction on eBay recently.
http://www.ebay.es/itm/141961854814?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

proxy.php

They usually charge more than that on eBay just for 4x 150ml creams at the Buy Now price, so the way I see it I effectively got the 500ml tube free !!
(I've already made plans for the 500ml tube to recoup most of what I paid for the job lot)
I like the performance of all 4 creams, but I wouldn't have paid the regular price for them.

To answer your question, I don't think Proraso is overrated, but I definitely think Proraso is overpriced !!

I'm not a huge fan of the croaps, but I find the blue tube to be very good for lathering and slickness. I agree with the OP - good, not great.

Proraso Green will always be in my top 10. Use it a couple times month. To me the smell is addictive and I always get great shaves with it.

Proraso is not "over rated" I don't think. Granted-T&H it ain't; it does well for me as a good, solid, functional product...and I love the smell of Proraso Green. Very old school.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I got the red Proraso soap this week and I'm a little disappointed in the scent ... AoS sandalwood, it isn't.

It smells rather like the green soap, without the chill. There's a definite Proraso formula scent.

As with the Colgate analogy, it's an inexpensive, good-functioning product. Nothing wrong with it ...

But if it was all you ever used, you'd be missing something, IMHO.

AA

With Tabac selling for $8.99 right now on Amazon you could argue that Proraso is overpriced but not overrated. I think most people rate it above average in the 7/10 range and Tabac in the 9/10 range. I enjoy both soaps and will have both the Proraso green and Tabac in stock at my house always.

I think Proraso is great! I think part of the reason it may seem overrated is because, it is easily available to most people. Its an easy recommendation to newer wet shavers.

If it was put into a nice glass tub, and marketed as a top shelf cream for 35 dollars a tub, I think it would still have a following. Are other creams better? I'm pretty sure some are, but I think people would not like some creams that I thought were better.

If you don't like the scents...it's highly overrated, to you anyway.

The only cream I found to be a terrible performer was the newest Indian old spice, but I'm sure someone out there thinks it's great. And since I didn't like the scent, or lack of, I probably didn't give it a fair shot really.

I enjoy Proraso. I find other soaps offer better slickness and protection. However, it is readily available and not overly priced.

I guess it depends on who does the rating and what you consider "over-rated". Ratings are opinions and suggestions so nothing finite. I rate Proraso as very good (maybe 8/10) for value, performance, and variety of scents.

I have been using proraso since I started de shaving 3 yrs ago, first product I bought was the green soap , then moved onto the white soap, and the red, I am only waiting for the sandalwood Aftershave to be released by proraso as they stated will be available in June, ,,,,, scent wise green and red are for me, the white I no longer care for, never liked the blue , , now in terms of performance, I wish their soap was slicker, I have used stirling, and it is beyond proraso performance, prorasos creams and soap could use more slickness when compared to stirling, and I feel i used every variable to try and get slicker lather, distilled water, blooming puck , soaking brush, pre shave glycerin soap, tried combining products to make Uber lather, added glycerine to lather, more product, add water work lather etc, ,,, just feel now that yes proraso is just average performance, and very popular for de beginners,

Top Bottom