What's new

What time is it? Time for a Father's Day PIF

I'm in, and thanks.
My Mother and Father divorced when I was 9. It was a very bitter and violent separation. I may have seen my father twice when growing up(there were extenuating circumstances). My mother never remarried, so there was really no male figure in my life.
When I got older, I found my father, and tried to get to know him.
Life, and a family of my own, got in the way of that, and we ended up with more of a friendship that a father/son type of relationship, mostly long distance.
Years later, my father developed lung cancer. He in Florida, and me in Virginia, and not much money either way. But I was able to visit him a couple of times.
One of the last visits was shortly before his death. As I left him, I knew the end was near, just a few weeks or months. He looked at me sadly and said, "I guess you won't be able to make it back when the time comes?"
I told him no, that I had come now so we could both remember each other, and spend what time we could while he was able.
One of the hardest things I ever did was part from him that day.
About 3 months later I got a call from my sister that Dad was on his deathbed, and if I wanted to come, now was the time. I told her I was not able, financially, but to tell him I loved him.
After a bit of frustration, I got in touch with someone I knew would probably loan me the money to make the trip, and headed down to Florida.
When I got there, Dad was in his living room on a hospital bed Hospice had brought in for him. He was asleep, and I stood by his bedside talking softly with my older sister about his condition.
He must have heard my voice, because his eyes slowly opened, and he looked up at me. He was unable to speak, but the look of joy and pride in his eyes when he saw my face there at his side is something I will never forget. Very difficult to write about, even now, two years later.
I stayed with him to the end, held his hand and told him I loved him as he passed.
That was the greatest moment in our relationship, that look. I saw in the eyes of my father just how great his love for me was, and how proud he was of the man that I had become. There was even a bit of, "I knew you'd get here somehow, son", in there. No words were spoken, but none were needed. That look said everything that needed to be said.
James Baker
$405339_2443044636729_1011476328_n.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I don't have a specific story to tell, our personalities didn't mesh very well, but he took me fishing quite a lot as I was growing up, and I still have his fishing stuff. He also taught me about the proper and safe use of firearms and gave me my first, and now I have his. He had to put up with a pretty rebellious kid, (me) and he didn't kill me, I guess that's a good story about fatherhood in itself!

Fatherhood for me is just trying to be a good example for my kids and now my granddaughter. And let them explore the world around us but be there for guidance.

Hope that'll do.

I'm in! :thumbup1:

Yes, that will do. Good stories so far, guys.

I'm in.
My memories of my Father are many, and he was a man larger than life for a young boy in the 50's and 60's. We were not wealthy but always spent time together on Sunday's, especially in the summer. One of the most important things that my Father left me was how to be a man, treating your family and others with honesty and generosity regardless of social status or race. The way he adored my mother, the love of his life, set the stage for myself and my brothers to become the gentlemen we are today. The 10th anniversary of his passing is just 5 days past, but his memories are with me everyday.

NOT in, but thank you for such a great PIF!

There are some amazing and some heartbreaking stories here so I thought I would lighten it up a bit.

When I owned my watch company I began to buy some pretty crazy watches. Bell and Ross, Patek Philippe, etc. My father took me to his safe and pulled out his fathers watch. He told me "Son, be careful what you wear around your wrist, it says a lot about you" With that he pulled out my grandfathers watch and I understood what he meant. I have never owned such a gaudy watch and never will after that!

proxy.php

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Not in but like the topic.

The baby ducks lived under the front porch. They were very special baby ducks, not yellow like Easter chicks, or white, or even blue though blue duckies would be purty.

They were invisible. That means that only Daddy and me can see them, nobody else.

Sometimes Daddy would take me for a walk all the way up to the big road and back. He taught me how to call the baby ducks out and that I had to take care of them. I had to hold my arms out and keep them together and be very careful 'cause no one else could see them and they might step on them and then they would pop and sometimes one would run away and Daddy would see it and say "Son, git that one before it gits too far off." and he would point it out and I'd shoo it back with the others.

Herding baby ducks is hard work and Daddy says it is 'portant. That means I gotta work real hard at it and keep my eyes open.

Sometimes Daddy would stop to talk with another Daddy and I'd have to keep the baby ducks quiet so they could talk. And I had to watch real close 'cause the other Daddy couldn't see the baby ducks and might step on one but I always watched real good and if it was gonna happen I'd pull on the Daddy's pants and he'd move his foot and no baby ducks ever got popped.

Then when we got to the big road we would turn back home. The baby ducks would be tired and sometimes stop walking and I'd wait until they weren't tired any more and Daddy would wait with me. We'd sit on the grass in front of a yard while the baby ducks ate grass and Daddy would tell me about the things he had seen, men that rode camels and mountains with snow on the top and houses that were on a hill over the water and all had red roofs and they were almost like stairs going up the hill and when the duckies were ready we would walk some more.

When we got home I would lead the baby ducks back to the hole under the porch and they would go in and go to sleep. Daddy would sit on the steps and I'd sit in his lap and he'd tell me stories about what the clouds were doing. Then I'd wake up and be in my bed and sometimes Mommy would be calling and I would go downstairs and we would all eat lunch.

I'm IN!

While I don't have any specific fond memories, as my father wasn't around much while I was growing up. He would leave for work early in the morning and come home just before us kids went to bed. We never really had any quality time with either of our parents, but he did manage to help me learn what I wanted to be as a father... even if it was through his mistakes.
My wife and I had been married for 10 years when we decided it was time to have children. On May 23, 2006 our first daughter entered the world and changed our lives forever (our second daughter followed 27 months later). It wasn't until the drive home from the hospital with our new little girl, that I realized that I wanted to have a more active role in my children's life than my father had. I didn't want my children to grow up without me being a big part of their lives. Although I feel it is very important to provide for my family financially, I think it is also important to be there for them as well.
It is a fine line finding balance between work life and family life. As I am self employed, it is entirely up to me how much time I spend working. When work gets busy, and it starts to consume more and more of my time, I think back to my childhood. I remember how many times I would have loved to spend the day with my dad. How many birthdays I wished he was there. How many times my dads friends would take me fishing or hunting because my dad was too "busy" to do it himself.
I try not to let everyday life get between me spending quality time with my two girls. I try to make sure I do things with them that they enjoy, even if it is something that I do not. It's not about me, it's about creating fond memories for my girls. It's about them looking back when they are older and remembering the good times we shared. It's about them remembering how I was there for them, even if the didn't want me around at the time. It's about me trying to instill good work habits, good morals, and the skills to be a good parent themselves one day.
I will make mistakes. I will disappoint my children. However, my goal is to make sure they have way more fond memories than disappointing ones.
My father is older now, and has expressed regrets about not spending more time with us kids. That's a regret that I never want.

I'm in and would love a chance to give my dad a great gift! My dad was great as a kid growing up. He laid the law but always gave hugs too. It wasn't until my divorce that I fully understood how amazing he was. He lived 5 hours away and traveled for work constantly. But instead of being home on the weekends him and my mom would drive up to help me with my two small daughters. Finally, they encouraged me to move with them so that I could go back to school and they could help. He sacrificed time and money to help raise my two daughters. He has taken them to ME and my guy dances and been to every school program he can be. He has supported me through my second college degree and I know he would do anything for me and my girls. I couldn't have wished for a more amazing dad!

I'm In

Unlike many of the Dad's described here, my dad was NOT an outdoorsman and didn't exactly play the teacher role in that capacity. That doesn't mean he didn't play teacher though. I remember my dad worked at a bank when I was very young ...then he didn't, for a long time he remained unemployed which turned out to be a good thing because he was available to help my grandma recover from a very serious stroke that was supposed to have left her dead within 2 weeks. She lived 25 years longer and was able to walk and function very well (although she was pretty well blind as a result) because my dad spent months at home with her providing his own version of therapy. I remember him starting with the house totally blacked out and crawling with my grandma on the floor, eventually he would have her sitting and standing...never again was she a very confident walker but we all had my grandma, strong willed and smart as heck because of him.
Shortly after the therapy sessions with my grandma, my dad became my Kindergarten teacher. I was observant enough to notice my old teacher was MIA (to this day dad swears she just hurt her back ...but?) but didn't question why my dad was my teacher because I had seen him teaching grandma many of the same basics. I and about 20 other kids learned how to do everything from tie our shoes to read and write from my dad that year. In fact 13 of us finished Kindergarten reading and writing at about a 3rd grade level, 10 of us graduated from the same high school top of our class. Turns out dad was fired by the principal because the first grade teachers complained they had nothing to teach us because "John taught them everything last year". When asked why he went off curriculum my dads answer was "because they kept learning and it was my job to teach them". When I ran for school board in that same school district 8 years ago I heard plenty about the famous 13 from teachers (and that principal) who thought kindly of such approach.

As it turned out, during this time frame my mom and dad both went to night school and got Masters degrees. I remembered them studying and doing projects all night long but didn't really understand what it meant until I attended their graduation ceremony. I can still remember being at that graduation with my grandma (who had had the stroke) and grandpa watching my parents get their degree's. My oldest son remembers being at my graduation but my youngest was too young (and others ...well, they were far too young). I don't think I learned anything specific from that moment so much as the expectation that "LIFE" is not an excuse that can be used to keep you from going to school. My dad had lost his job as a bank manager even though he had incredible management skills and had all the banking knowledge you could imaging all because of a shift in the industry. Rather than fight the tide or cry about it he played to his skills and took control.

I didn't learn how to hunt or fish from my dad and I only learned how NOT to do plumbing, electrical and carpentry from him. What I did learn was that I CAN learn how to hunt and fish by being a Boy Scout and, I can try and fail at plumbing, electrical and carpentry and the world won't end. There were times growing up that we had very little money and whatever my dad could do was all we would have. The friends HE made through my scouting activities usually came to our rescue if the failure were THAT bad. So, armed with the knowledge of what NOT to do and empowered by the understanding that I can always ask for help fixing "it" if I end up messing up THAT bad, I'll usually try anything. Sometimes I'll actually do pretty well too.

In short...there really aren't any excuses success is always possible as long as you TRY and have a few friends. (wow, that's sort of what happens here with B&B right?)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm in and would love a chance to give my dad a great gift! My dad was great as a kid growing up. He laid the law but always gave hugs too. It wasn't until my divorce that I fully understood how amazing he was. He lived 5 hours away and traveled for work constantly. But instead of being home on the weekends him and my mom would drive up to help me with my two small daughters. Finally, they encouraged me to move with them so that I could go back to school and they could help. He sacrificed time and money to help raise my two daughters. He has taken them to ME and my guy dances and been to every school program he can be. He has supported me through my second college degree and I know he would do anything for me and my girls. I couldn't have wished for a more amazing dad!

I am sorry for my glaring mistake in the OP- I neglected to remember that we do have female members here. I apologize for that, and will try to edit the OP.

I'm in!

My Dad was the hunting and fishing type and I remember many fishing trips and watching him skeet shooting when I was a young boy. He was also an archer and had a target set up in our back yard. His passion for those things wasn't something that ever rubbed off on me, I had little to no interest in hunting or fishing and I was pretty much done with both by the time I hit my teens. One thing I did get from him was keeping things light and having a good sense of humor. It reminds me of a time when his humor probably wasn't exactly setting a good example for me. During the Christmas season, my Dad and his buddy ran a Christmas tree lot in our small town. I sometimes helped and one day a woman came in with the most severe buck teeth I've ever seen. Let's just say her bottom lip would never get wet in a rain storm. I was doing my best to be well behaved and not stare or react in any way for fear of being reprimanded by my Dad. He was very polite and courteous as he waited on her, she bought her tree and left. Once she was gone, my Dad turned around, looked at me and made a goofy face with his top teeth jutting out and went, "Duuuuhh!" I know, it was far from being a good example or politically correct but for a 10 year old me, it was pretty funny!

I am in! A very generous PIF and wonderful tribute idea! I could write several stories but I will share briefly...

My father is still with us at almost 94. My parents met during WWII and were married in June 1944 so this June they will be married 72 years! Instead of a particular story I would rather share some accolades about my father... I learned basically everything that matters from him. The importance of family, a work ethic, the balm of a good laugh, how to work with my hands, the appreciation of good food and sharing together. Mom and dad taught me a marriage is meant to last though all the ups and downs. My dad has outlived all his brothers and all his friends. I learn everyday as his time grows shorter the value of a phone call and I do not take for granted the sound of his voice. I love you Dad and happy Father's Day!

I am in! Very sweet!. Well, I had a wonderful father but I'm also a father myself (and a grandfather). I lost my dad a little over a year ago. We had a very open exchange between us, so we were able to talk about death and I was able to tell him thank you for everything. I'm really grateful for that since I don't feel like I left something unsaid. I still miss him, particularly when something comes up where I say, "I should ask dad about that."

As a dad myself of two wonderful women I have some very fond memories of them growing up. My oldest daughter was in 3rd grade and was being bullied by a girl in her class. Rather than fighting, she took the tactic of sending secret love notes from signed as a secret admirer and confusing her bully. Unfortunately, one note got intercepted by the teacher and we got a letter home telling us to discipline our daughter. I never talked to the teacher about this, but I did compliment my oldest on a creative solution to the bullying problem.

Wow, I'm IN.

Fatherhood? My Dad? My heavenly Father? Wet Shaving? All important parts of my life but I'll keep this short.

I came home the other day and my oldest had finally shaved his own head. He had my wife and I do it once each and I explained I just didn't think I could keep doing it and he had to take this on himself. I don't shave my head, just not for me. For him it's a great look but it's a lot of work. Now he's almost 20 but he has aspergers and he's got my coordination (none!). So a combo that means he likely couldn't do it yet for himself. BUT I was wrong.

I came home and he was showing off his cleanly shaven dome, I asked if his mother had done it and she exclaimed NO. He had done it himself. I was astonished, first he was still alive, I figured he'd have bled to death. No nicks and DFS to boot! I asked if he had used a cartridge shaver as we have one kicking around still and he said no. Again I was astonished, he used his usual setup Omega 10066 Boar brush, Lord L6 razor, Vikings sword blade and of course Arko in a twist up container. Said he used the blade for his face and then finished off the top. My jaw dropped.

Then he did it again and now does it THREE times a week...still can't believe it.

So there ya go, proud Dad moment, even my Dad was impressed and I was thanking the Lord for introducing him to wet shaving. He did something that I know I couldn't do and he had every reason to be proud.

Happy Father's day everyone!
-Stephen

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I'm in. My best memory of my dad was when I graduated college. My dad was a less than perfect dad for much of my childhood. He didn't spend much time with us. As I got older, Dad came to his senses, so to speak. I'll never forget that day, after the ceremony, he looked me in the eyes and told me he was proud of me. It was all I ever wanted to hear. He's not on earth anymore but I remember that and remember to tell my boys I am proud of them as much as I can.

God Bless,
Adam

I'm in! What an amazing PIF! Thank you!

I lost my father to Pancreatic Cancer in 2012. It was quick and sudden. I was never super close with my parents, and now I regret that quite a bit.
My father taught me everything I know (including how to shave), and to be the person I am today.
I guess what I'm saying is, cherish time spent with your father... You never when you might not be able to!

David

Top Bottom