What's new

Classic guns

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Wish I could give "likes" to the other posters in this thread.

It "floats my boat!"

I think...since they redid the site...that the Mentioned thing is like the "likes" on Facebook or what ever. I'm not real big on that.

It's like this.. [MENTION=48379]noelekal[/MENTION].

Hey, you got your first Mentioned! :001_cool:

Classic?? Well I don't think anyone would question the S&W Model 29 as being anything less. This pistol was an icon in the 70's and still has a lot of credibility today.

$image.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Nice post P&R Model 29...love the stocks. I'll give ya a dollar for it. :001_smile

Sounds like Alejandro may have something of interest there, Price.

An '80s flashback...it's what replaced the Model 19/Model 65 in LE holsters across the country, just before the Wonder-Nine craze. A no-dash S&W 681. I had it Mag-Na-Ported when Larry Kelly was still with us.

Attachments

• $IMG_0004.jpg
    $IMG_0004.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 582
  • $IMG_0008.jpg
    $IMG_0008.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 295

Legion

Staff member
I like this thread.

When I was a kid my father had an old Colt pump action carbine I would play cowboys and indians with. It would have probably exploded if you put modern ammo in it, but I would run around in the yard and make it go *click* while shouting Bang Bang!.

Thinking about Australia in 2016, that seems so absurd.

Before the vaunted Colt Python was introduced in 1955, there was another premium Colt .357 Magnum revolver. Introducing the Colt I-Frame a couple of years prior to the Python's introduction was the Colt Three Fifty Seven, intended as the new top-of-the-line Colt double-action revolver. The 3 5 7 is far less commonly seen than the jillion Pythons produced. Here's an early production low-4-digit 3 5 7 from the 1953-'54 time period seen with a run-of-the-mill 1978 Python. Both revolvers feature 6-inch barrels. Holster is a period Eubanks.

[URL=http://s74.photobucket.com/user/bryanmcgilvray/media/Handguns%20%20Holsters/IMG_6322_zpsg5ikmjfg.jpg.html]

[/URL]

Last edited:
My favorite classic is a 1964 S&W Model 29, 8 3/8. I went with my Dad to pick it up, in 64, from a cousin of his with Denver PD. I don't know which station we went to, but it was late at night. I shoot this gun better than any handgun I have shot. I kidded him every time I saw the safe open the last few years the Model 29 was going home with me. He would close the safe and tell me over his dead body. For my birthday 3 years ago, he called and said there was a walnut box on the kitchen table for me. (S&W used nice walnut form fit boxes back in the day) Needless to say I made haste getting over there and claiming my gift, after promising to never sell it to anyone, but to pass on to my son. I still shoot this better than anything else, even after 14 years law enforcement training and drilling on my 1911.
$SW29.jpg

My next favorite classic is a Winchester Model 12, 32" barrel, extra full choke. Was my great uncles gun, passed to my grandfather when the uncle died young, then on to me in my teens. Many pheasant, dove, rabbits and geese have met their demise at my hand with this. Still take it goose hunting once in a rare while with Bismuth, still my only good upland shotgun knocking a few pheasant and dove down each fall.
$m12.jpg

1944 ish swiss k31
1918 swiss m1911
1944 m1 carbine
1945 m1
1945 star model b
1940 something 91/30 mosin
I should have bought a k31 a week while they were available. Most accurate rifle I have even compared to modern rifles.

My next favorite classic is a Winchester Model 12, 32" barrel, extra full choke. Was my great uncles gun, passed to my grandfather when the uncle died young, then on to me in my teens. Many pheasant, dove, rabbits and geese have met their demise at my hand with this. Still take it goose hunting once in a rare while with Bismuth, still my only good upland shotgun knocking a few pheasant and dove down each fall.
View attachment 660248
I have my Dad's Winchester Model 12, 28" barrel, modified choke. Its killed countless pheasants. Superbly built shotgun. When you see them at gun shows, which is less and less often, they still command $1,000 and up.

Lot's of handguns are on hand in the firearms menegerie here, but I admire rifles most of all. For many years my favorite hunting rifle is this 1953 vintage Winchester Model 70 .30-06.

Beautiful rifle. It makes me cry, since my pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in .270 was stolen from my home in a burglary. I bought it at a gun show in 1986, and it was stolen two years later.

I have one of these
proxy.php

And one of these:
proxy.php

Both in 30/30 caliber. The Savage is retired as I debate about a restore, the stock and forearm have some cracking and it's in desperate need of a reblue/redamascus finishing. The gun is over 100 years old and saw active use up to about 10 years ago or so :( got lots of deer in all those years.

The Winchester is still the go to drive gun and is one of my favorite guns.

M1917 revolver by S&W. This was brought home from WWII by a family member, then given to my Grandpa. When he passed away in 2003, it was given to me.

Here is my contribution today. Certainly my most unusual firearm. It appears to be Indian based on the engraving/figures.

The entire thing has these engravings on it. I believe the bands are gold as they have never tarnished.

Not a piece of wood on it. Wish i knew more about it.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Certainly not out of production, but definitely a classic. I have a heirloom 16 gauge Remington Wingmaster from 1952, the second year they were made. It has a low 6 digit serial number. The action is still buttery smooth, and the wood is in good shape for it's age, but most of the bluing is worn. Sometime in the 80's or 90's Grandpa got himself an engraving pen, and put his initials on practically everything except my Grandma, including the barrel and receiver of the shotgun.

Certainly not out of production, but definitely a classic. I have a heirloom 16 gauge Remington Wingmaster from 1952, the second year they were made. It has a low 6 digit serial number. The action is still buttery smooth, and the wood is in good shape for it's age, but most of the bluing is worn. Sometime in the 80's or 90's Grandpa got himself an engraving pen, and put his initials on practically everything except my Grandma, including the barrel and receiver of the shotgun.
I'm sorry, but you forgot the most important part..... pictures![emoji3]

Awww, come on. Let's see what ya got.

I haven't forgotten, just got busy. But there's no way I can compete with this. :a47:

Here is my contribution today. Certainly my most unusual firearm. It appears to be Indian based on the engraving/figures.

The entire thing has these engravings on it. I believe the bands are gold as they have never tarnished.

Not a piece of wood on it. Wish i knew more about it.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Top Bottom