What's new

Classic guns

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
So, what type of old classic guns do you have?

It will be interesting to see what y'all have squirreled away (if you are inclined to share). My definition of classic is from the '80s on back. Something at least 25 years old or so, preferably with the model not in production anymore...at least that type of model. Pre-lock S&W revolvers come to mind...those models that are still made but don't have that abomination on them. My no-dash S&W 681 without the firing pin bushing mod. on it also comes to mind. Pictures with props get extra credit. :001_smile

Here's an old pic. I've posted a few times and I'm sure a lot of you have seen. A 1973 Colt Cobra with the unshrouded ejector rod. Apparently one of the last ones made as Colt started shrouding the ejector rods on the Detective Specials after 1972, and apparently they started on the Cobras a little later.

proxy.php

Telephone and 2-inch Smith & Wesson Military & Police .38 Special revolver were both made in 1952. Both are still regularly used.

Group shot by shooting the first hole and then aiming at that hole. 19 paces, shot in single-action mode.

Lot's of handguns are on hand in the firearms menegerie here, but I admire rifles most of all. For many years my favorite hunting rifle is this 1953 vintage Winchester Model 70 .30-06.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Me likey.

Love that Brill holster. Classic holsters are also welcomed (encouraged). I have Dad's old Remington .30-06 from 1952 Bryan.

Here's a Roy's Pancake holster for a K frame. I need to clean it up some more. I have some El Paso Saddlery holsters (the old S.D. Myres company). I want a Berns-Martin shoulder holster for the little Colts. I know...the holster is bigger than the gun but I still want one.

The Roy's Pancake:

Attachments

• $IMG_0003.jpg
    $IMG_0003.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 260
  • $IMG_0007.jpg
    $IMG_0007.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 259
Looks like a good holster which would carry the revolver high and concealed beneath a covering garment.

Is your dad's Remington .30-06 a Model 721? I once had a Model 721 .30-06 and traded it away for no good reason. Wish I'd kept it.

Hey Mike; I began a classic holster thread for a firearms forum so could post some here from time to time. Don't want to hog the neato thread you began. Lots of good ol' stuff and some junk iron in the firearms menagerie here that I still take seriously. It is hoped that others would participate.

Here's a big ol' Smith & Wesson revolver, the original N-Frame in the form of the New Century "Triple Lock." This one is a 6 1/2-inch .44 Special manufactured in about 1910. Was originally a blue gun that fell on hard times and was heavily polished and nickeled. A friend took it in and had it restored as best he could by Gene Williams who corrected as much as he could of the old polish job and re-did roll markings where necessary. I couldn't afford a Triple Lock with much original finish on it at all. Am grateful to have this one as an example of the model. With a vintage Heiser double-loop floral tooled holster made for the 6 1/2-inch N-Frame Smith & Wesson.

The third locking point that gave this famous model its nickname.

One of several photos my friend sent me of the revolver prior to its restoration.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Very nice leather and handguns. I'm especially jealous of the 1926 Smith and the Triple Lock. I've handled many a Triple Lock many years ago but never bought one.

Yup, Dad's '06 is a 721. Excellent action and barrel but utility wood. Good thing the stock is utility grade...it's dinged up some from hard use. I still remember the deer he brought back from Colorado when I was knee high.

Don't worry about hogging the thread...any and all Classics, leather included, are welcome. May get some more "participation" after the thread gets viewed a bit.

I have a question...how are you getting that rotary phone to work? An adapter keypad? I still remember my phone number from when I was a kid...Circle 5-4276. Granddad's party line was two short and one long ring.

Here's one...an old no finish 1894 Colt and Granddad's old phone that was stored up in the second floor of the old farm house, the phone that is. Granddad was born in 1894 so the old Colt is kinda special. I use them everyday. :biggrin1: Just kidding.

Sorry for the bad pic., I just took a snapshot a bit ago. I need to clean that phone up a bit.

Attachments

• $IMG_0002.jpg
    $IMG_0002.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 234
Grand ol' Colt Single Action Army and cool ol' phone. What caliber is the Colt?

The '52 Western Electric "500" was only provided with an updated cord so it could be plugged in. Works great except for "press "1" for English" type responses.

My grandfather was born in March of 1894. This Krag Jorgensen was probably manufactured about the same time of the year.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Nice .38 Ed. Looks to be in great condition.

The old Peacemaker is .45 Colt.

Bet no one can guess what this beat up old thing is. :001_smile The stock is a replacement...it had been shot so much the stock was cracked at the wrist. The original stock is stored away. Dad carried this thing many a mile after upland game. I bagged several quail with it after I replaced the stock with another one from the factory. Manufactured 1957.

Attachments

• $IMG_0003.jpg
    $IMG_0003.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 218
  • $IMG_0004.jpg
    $IMG_0004.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 218

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Here's one that there is a boatload of 'em around, but you don't seem to see them very much. Made in the early 1920s. Dad, who was a combat rifleman, brought it back from WWII...said it came from a German Officer who "Didn't need it anymore."

Ortgies .32 ACP (7,65 Browning) with original holster.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Love the photos posted!

The Smith & Wesson K-38 predates the factory assigning the Model 14 nomenclature. Can tell because of the 4-screw side plate configuration and the "fishhook-style" "Speed" hammer. A great handgun to this day.

Love the 16 gauge Browning. It's the same age I am. Looks better though.

Have thought about acquiring one of the good little Ortgies pistols which are well made and an interesting design.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'd love to have a K frame like yours, Ed. I bet that thing is a tack driver.

How does that Krag shoot, Bryan? On the Ortgies I've replaced all the springs in the slide (the firing pin is a PITA to get back in) and the recoil spring, and the magazine spring, but apparently the oil Dad had on it has aged and got all gummy and sticky. The barrel won't twist out so I can replace the springs in the frame. I've been meaning to soak it in Kroil for a couple of days to get it loosened up, but just haven't done it yet. All of the original springs are in appropriately labeled baggies. It shoots great, especially with the rather warm Fiocchi or Sellier & Bellot ammo. Some snappy little slide action goes on with that ammo.

Here's Dad's old Remington Model 721 in .30-06 with a period Weaver 4X scope. I looked it up again and it was made in September of 1951. I'm sure you know that the 721 is the "Daddy" of the hugely popular Remington Model 700. The only difference in the two is that the Model 700 has a fancier stock.

Attachments

• $IMG_0003.jpg
    $IMG_0003.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 379
Levefer Arms Nitro Special shotgun in .410 from 1924 from my grandfather

3 M-1 Garands (Springfield, H&R, Winchester)

1 Smith-Corona 1903-A1

1 Colt 1911 carried in WWI - Serial # 116xxx with web belt and holster

1896 Krag rifle cut down to make a faux carbine

Everything one needs in a big game hunting rifle right there with that Remington Model 721.

Mike, the Krag's great. It possesses a wonderful bore and will shoot Sierra 220 grain round nose soft points to a bit less than 2 inches for five shot from the bench rest at 100 yards. The 220 grain handload used mimicked original ballistics and shot well with the sights.

Some years ago I shot a high-power match with it on a couple of occasions just for the education and entertainment value of it. Stock's straight grip and too short for me but it was fine for the slow-fire stages. Was most satisfying to shoot slow-fire prone. Some gathered around to see how I was going to manage the rapid-fire stages. I had practiced a bit when dry-firing it at home. I just laid 5 cartridges out neatly on the shooting mat and went to work with the rifle. The reload wasn't bad. I scooped them up carefully and "dribbled" them into the opened horizontal box magazine, snapped it shut and went on with shooting. I did finish in a timely manner on both sitting rapid and prone rapid and the shots scored decently.

It wouldn't be so convenient on a battlefield in the dust, mud, and weeds. I've also shot the '03/'03A3 Springfield in matches and the stripper clip is a boon to the reload. I began my high-power shooting career with a Smith Corona 1903A3 and happily shot it for several years at local matches.

Here's a link to an ancient thread I stuck up on a forum with more Krag information than most care about.
http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/general-firearm-discussion/64228-krag-jorgensen-30-40-a.html

Here's the Smith Corona 1903A3. An early production rifle, it's barrel date is 12-42. I've had it since I was 18 and that was in 1975. First two deer I ever took was with this rifle.

In more recent times, shooting it for fun off the rim of a canyon from 100 yards to infinity.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Nice firearms guys! I have 5 more years before I can post mine as a "classic" though. :lol:

Awww, come on. Let's see what ya got.

It's not what comes to mind when you mention classics, but since the brand was responsible for starting the combat tupperware craze I guess it needs an honorable mention.

An old duty weapon of mine...a 2nd Gen. Glock Model 22 with Hogue grips from the mid '90s. The only reason I bought it was that the firearms instructor was pushing them...and started designing parts of the course of fire for qualification to include 10 round strings. Kinda hard to do with my 1911 or an S&W revolver. I call blackmail on those actions.

It was box stock then but it now has a Taran Tactical connector and springs, an aftermarket trigger housing and safety plunger, etc. as it's not used as a carry gun now. Ooops...I didn't notice my P.I. license I.D. holder was in the background until I uploaded the pic. I guess that could qualify as a prop. :001_smile

Attachments

• $IMG_0004.jpg
    $IMG_0004.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 197

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Levefer Arms Nitro Special shotgun in .410 from 1924 from my grandfather

3 M-1 Garands (Springfield, H&R, Winchester)

1 Smith-Corona 1903-A1

1 Colt 1911 carried in WWI - Serial # 116xxx with web belt and holster

1896 Krag rifle cut down to make a faux carbine

This thread is worthless without pics. :a32: :biggrin1:

Those are some nice old classic military rifles there, Bryan. And looks like they still shoot well. I've put a box or two of black powder reloads through the old Peacemaker. The last time a friend of mine and I shot it (he was on the U.S. Border Patrol pistol team for quite awhile) it was turning about 6 inch groups at 25 yards. We were shooting loads I put together of 250 gr. FN bullets sized .454 that I cast out of wheel weights over about 35 grains of FFFg black powder and CCI large pistol primers...if I remember correctly. We were using a folded up towel on the roof of my old Camaro as a rest.

And we set the damn towel on fire. :w00t:

Top Bottom