What's new

Horizontal Offset or Smokinator or Slow N'Sear or Other

Smoking meat is a vital component of learning the art of doing nothing. I am still learning. I dont have it down yet.

People who have mastered the art of doing nothing always seem to have everything done.

This.

Somewhere in the Blue Smoke Thread from around June of 2014, there should be a whole tutorial I wrote on doing the Snake Method in a Weber.

Edit: here's the how-to: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-Things-Cooking-Related?p=7404987#post7404987

Edit 2: here's another example
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-VI-2014-BBQ-at-B-amp-B?p=6377381#post6377381

So you say this will get you around 6 hours ... but six hours won't finish a butt. What do you do then? Add charcoal to the "end" of your original snake and keep going?

So you say this will get you around 6 hours ... but six hours won't finish a butt. What do you do then? Add charcoal to the "end" of your original snake and keep going?

yes. That should work. However, I have successfully done briskets on the Weber by either cutting them in two smaller pieces for shorter cook times, or by wrapping them and finishing them in the oven at about 250. (The 'smoking" is done after the first few hours, after that you're not adding any more smoke flavor, it's just heat.)

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
yes. That should work. However, I have successfully done briskets on the Weber by either cutting them in two smaller pieces for shorter cook times, or by wrapping them and finishing them in the oven at about 250. (The 'smoking" is done after the first few hours, after that you're not adding any more smoke flavor, it's just heat.)

+1 I'll smoke a pork butt until the color and bark are what I like, then I finish it in the oven. No sense burning more wood when the smoke and bark are set.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Smoking meat is a vital component of learning the art of doing nothing. I am still learning. I dont have it down yet.

People who have mastered the art of doing nothing always seem to have everything done.

Bob Dobbs approves this message.

This is the beauty off the Egg. It's a set it and forget it! Especially when you use a BBQ Guru as you temp stabilizer.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
What effect does wrapping them have on the bark, if any?

Weather it's a brisket, pork butt or ribs wrapping them will make the bark a little soft. I will (sometimes) unwrap them and place them back in the oven/smoker for 15 or so minutes and let the bark cure up some.

Weather it's a brisket, pork butt or ribs wrapping them will make the bark a little soft. I will (sometimes) unwrap them and place them back in the oven/smoker for 15 or so minutes and let the bark cure up some.

Had the same thought ... hmm ... maybe there is something to this Weber as a smoker thing after all.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Had the same thought ... hmm ... maybe there is something to this Weber as a smoker thing after all.

I can't speak for the Weber (I don't own one) but most guys around her just love them. They can do just about anything. What's probably the best feature is that you can get great results for both smoking or direct grilling.

I didn't use a snake this morning but filled half a chimney and set it alight and placed fresh unlit coal in half a Weber charcoal holder. Then I filled in the other half with hot coals.
Kept to 225-240 for over 6 hours then started to flag. I tried putting fresh coals on top of the pile, but after a while they didn't take so I put in a quarter chimney of hot coals.
Now been sitting at 250 for the last hour, hope only one more hour to go.

This may become my motto! I am something of an amateur smoker and I am retiring in July. I must begin making plans now to integrate the fine arts of smoking meat and Doing Nothing!

I didn't use a snake this morning but filled half a chimney and set it alight and placed fresh unlit coal in half a Weber charcoal holder. Then I filled in the other half with hot coals.
Kept to 225-240 for over 6 hours then started to flag. I tried putting fresh coals on top of the pile, but after a while they didn't take so I put in a quarter chimney of hot coals.
Now been sitting at 250 for the last hour, hope only one more hour to go.
Typically, on my 22" WSM, I can use the "Minion Method" and get 20-26 hours from a bag of original Kingsford briquettes.

This depends in cook temp, controlling the temp well and whether or not I use water.

Another big factor is how many lit briquettes I use on the original start up. It takes about 25-30 to get a reliable start but it takes quite a while to come up to temp. But, the burn rate is slower. 50-75 briquettes and it will heat up quickly and burn quickly and is more difficult to control temps.

Using the snake method makes it easier to control the temps because of a constant "volume" of burning coals. However, it eliminates about 3-4 pounds of fuel and shortens the time accordingly.

I use the Minion Method for butts and brisket and the snake for ribs and loins.

Pics?

Interesting idea ... not sure our Middle Schools would be right, but possibly our high schools ... hmm
proxy.php

Sorry, been a busy week!! This one is a tad bit small for my needs but generally gets the job done. I have had 4 briskets on here since noon.

What effect does wrapping them have on the bark, if any?

Depends on what you wrap them with. Most people use foil or butchers paper. Foil will result in a much softer bark, but more intense flavor. Paper will preserve much of the bark texture but will leave the flavor pretty much as it was.

There's a segment in the Franklin Barbeque TV show where he tests some brisket's last few hours of cooking one with foil, one with paper and one naked. IIRC, he likes the paper-wrapped one best.

Edit: Found the segment -- https://youtu.be/lnRRDSYgdmw

Last edited:
My patience, I believe, has been rewarded!

Was looking on Craigslist last night while our daughter had soccer practice, and found a beauty. A pre-CharBroil, New Braunfels Black Diamond that looks to be in very good, almost like new condition. Emailed and texted the guy about it, he confirmed it's very heavy, and that he's had it for years. Said he's only used it a couple of times and it sounded like he forgot he even had it.

The catch is, he's about and hour and half away, so the wife and I are going up Saturday to look at it.

Oh ... and he only wants $65 for it! :D

The wife said, "Happy Early Father's Day" :D :D :D

Pics to come when I bring her home.

Already have plans to smoke a shoulder on the Weber on Saturday, but maybe I'll move the whole operation to the new smoker when we get back. We'll see ... needless to say, I'm excited

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My patience, I believe, has been rewarded!

Was looking on Craigslist last night while our daughter had soccer practice, and found a beauty. A pre-CharBroil, New Braunfels Black Diamond that looks to be in very good, almost like new condition. Emailed and texted the guy about it, he confirmed it's very heavy, and that he's had it for years. Said he's only used it a couple of times and it sounded like he forgot he even had it.

The catch is, he's about and hour and half away, so the wife and I are going up Saturday to look at it.

Oh ... and he only wants $65 for it! :D

The wife said, "Happy Early Father's Day" :D :D :D

Pics to come when I bring her home.

Already have plans to smoke a shoulder on the Weber on Saturday, but maybe I'll move the whole operation to the new smoker when we get back. We'll see ... needless to say, I'm excited

Yes, those older New Braunfels smokers were made with much thicker steel. I say go for it. There are a few reviews around the internet on this particular smoker. They were made in New Braunfels, Texas.

Check out the firebox really well for rust both inside and out. Have a nice trip.:001_smile

Top Bottom