What's new

How do you all scald your milk/half and half?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The wife and I have fallen in love with cafe con leches from the local Cuban place. I went for some today and found out that they are on vacation until the 31st. This will not do. I am going to buy a Moka pot, but have never scalded milk. How is it done?

I've never made or tried cafe con leche. I did a Google video search for "cafe con leches" and it seems that you should remove it from the heat the moment it starts bubbling just before it comes to a boil.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I've never made or tried cafe con leche. I did a Google video search for "cafe con leches" and it seems that you should remove it from the heat the moment it starts bubbling just before it comes to a boil.
Well, that sounds too easy. :001_smile

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My first cafe con leche out of my new Moka pot. I used half condensed milk and the other was half and half. It came out as tasty as the Cuban place I usually get it. I could have frothed a little more.
$image.jpg

My first cafe con leche out of my new Moka pot. I used half condensed milk and the other was half and half. It came out as tasty as the Cuban place I usually get it. I could have frothed a little more.
View attachment 659242
I have to say that looks wonderful! My usual method is to make the coffee in an Aeropress then microwave 4oz of soy milk for a minute. This fills a standard mug. The soy adds just a bit of sweetness which I like.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have to say that looks wonderful! My usual method is to make the coffee in an Aeropress then microwave 4oz of soy milk for a minute. This fills a standard mug. The soy adds just a bit of sweetness which I like.

I will try the microwave next. I was really surprised- this being the first time, and only having Folgers on hand. But it was really good, and the wife really liked it. I generally buy ours, and two cups are $7. Now, I can use that money for buying more Cuban sandwiches :thumbup:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Oh, and the next time I am going 1/3 condensed and 2/3 half and half. It was a bit sweet, so I will scale down from 1/2 condensed.

If you were thinking about temperature scald is at 180's F? I know we're there for working milk to produce yogurts.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
After watching some videos online about making Cuban coffee I'm going to have to try this.

It sure is good. Now the first thing I hear when I wake up is my wife saying "Well, are you going to make some coffee?" :biggrin: I believe she is officially done with the K cup thing.

It sure is good. Now the first thing I hear when I wake up is my wife saying "Well, are you going to make some coffee?" :biggrin: I believe she is officially done with the K cup thing.
I'm going to have to try it with the Aeropress. My Moka pot's gasket is kaput. It shouldn't be too hard.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I normally just nuke my milk but today I used the stove top for a change of pace. The milk and the coffee were ready at the same time.

Top Bottom