What's new

Bootsale blade

Hi All

New to the Forum.

Todays at a Carboot sale I pick up this Razor for £1. does anybody know what it is? after a little research I think it may be a Harrison Brothers but it only has the Initial of one.

The writing on the Razor is: The Celebrated Hollow Ground Razor Set Ready For Use

J.Harrison Sheffield.

I just want to make sure that its nothing special and that by attempting to restore it myself I won't destroy it.

It has a lot of rust on it but for £1 I thought it was worth playing with.

$IMG_6195.jpg$IMG_6196.jpg$IMG_6198.jpg

Thanks

Baz

Looks like a good first project to me, and based on the pictures i'd say that's also salvageable. :thumbup1: You'll need new scales, and work the blade quite a lot, but it's not too bad IMO.

As for the "speciality" of that razor, AFAIK there's none. Generally old Sheffield blades are great performers, but i don't think you'll do any harm to history even if you botch that blade (please don't tho, it seems like it'd look great restored).

Legion

Staff member
I don't think it is super valuable, but it looks like a good candidate for your first restore. Go for it.

Thanks for the reply's.

Well now I know it doesn't need to be sent off to a pro I have made a start. I have drilled out the pins and I'm soaking the scales in neatsfoot oil oil just to see what the process does to them.

next onto sanding the blade which i'm very nervous about lol

Thanks for the reply's.

Well now I know it doesn't need to be sent off to a pro I have made a start. I have drilled out the pins and I'm soaking the scales in neatsfoot oil oil just to see what the process does to them.

next onto sanding the blade which i'm very nervous about lol

The scales might turn out just fine after that Neatsfoot oil treatment and some sanding and buffing. That crack might even be fixed with some CA glue.

I think you will loose some blade size because of the pitting/rust along the bevel. You'll have to hone up past that to get to good metal when setting the bevel.

Should be a doable learning project. Have fun with it.

Bob

I have cleaned the rust off the blade so can now see the amount of pitting. I need to order various grades of sandpaper for my dremel as so far I have been doing it by hand.

I have also slightly sanded one side of the scales to see how they would come up. I think with a little more fine sanding they should come up ok so I will attempt to repair the cracked side.

i'm taking things nice and slow so I don't wreck the blade. its not looking too bad considering its probably around 150yrs old and I found it amongst rusty tools

$IMG_6250.jpg$IMG_6269.jpg

Comming along very nicely and there is no reason not to continue by hand. I use my dremel but mostly for polishing work and do the vast majority of sanding by hand.

Comming along very nicely and there is no reason not to continue by hand. I use my dremel but mostly for polishing work and do the vast majority of sanding by hand.
+1

Even when only polishing with a dremel, you really need to be careful about heating the blade. Sanding creates even more heat and a small slip can do irreparable damage.
I'd suggest continuing by hand and using power tools for polishing - if at all.

I may be wrong but I think you should have fixed the crack before you soaked it in oil. Most glues/fillers don't like to stick to oily surfaces.

Top Bottom