What's new

Denatured Alcohol vs. Lighter Fluid

Guys:

Just wondering if anyone else uses denatured alcohol instead of store-bought lighter fluid.

I was going to grill a steak about 3 weeks ago and found that my roommate had used 98% of my available lighter fluid ("Dude, i left some in there...")

So, out to the garage I go to find something I can burn. I recently installed some sound deadener in my car and had a bunch of leftover denatured alcohol I was using to clean the surfaces for installation.

I had visions of a huge fire made up of myself and the grill, but I poured a bit of the alcohol over the charcoal, gave it a minute to soak in, then put a small puddle on the bottom of the grill.

About 4 feet away, I struck a match, then threw it into the grill.

FOOMP!

Steak about 30 mins later :) and NO STRANGE LIGHTER FLUID TASTE

I think I'll be doing this from now on. Anyone have any way to make it safer? I may just use a chimney starter in the future.

Not from me, buddy. Find the one of the engineer starting 50 lbs of charcoal with liquid O2 - now THAT's good stuff.

I use a charcoal chimney. Much safer and more effective than any kind of flammable liquid. Once you use one you'll never use a fluid again. You can also make one out of a three pound coffee can.

Chimney is the way to go -- I postponed getting one for a long time, then after I got it I realized that waiting was a mistake.

I find that both ligher fluid and the fast starting charcoal leave a strange taste on the food (esp for ligher tasting food like fish).

Not from me, buddy. Find the one of the engineer starting 50 lbs of charcoal with liquid O2 - now THAT's good stuff.

Urgh urgh urgh urgh! Yeah, I remember that news story (Dave Barry also did a column about it, IIRC). Definitely typical engineer behavior.

Mom works for NASA but Dad always had access to the liquid CO2, O2, and (once) liquid He. Ahhh, the space program. Too bad none of those were available off-site, so we just used a chimney to start the grill like the more sane folks. I may be bald, but not because of starting a grill. :smile:

Jesse

I use a charcoal chimney. Much safer and more effective than any kind of flammable liquid. Once you use one you'll never use a fluid again. You can also make one out of a three pound coffee can.

+1 on the chimney starter!!! I was at a park today directing a band at a festival. A "professional chef" nearby, at a food vendor tent, was starting hi fire with lighter fluid. It smelled of lighter fluid at 9 AM, at 10 AM, and still at 11, when he began to serve the burgers and brats from his stand. By noon it was smelling like pure Kingsford-- fluid, not charcoal. And people were buying it?!!!

I use the chimney starter with lump charcoal in my New Braunfels smoker. I'll never use lighter fluid again, either.

HEY! Know how to make a cat sound like a dog? Dowse it in denatured alcohol and touch it with a match..."WOOF!"

You can substitute vegetable oil if you are in a pinch,long term the chimney is the way to go.

HEY! Know how to make a cat sound like a dog? Dowse it in denatured alcohol and touch it with a match..."WOOF!"

Know how to make a dog sound like a cat? Put one in the freezer for a few days and then run it through your table saw...MMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEOW!

//no animals were harmed by this joke, nor by its reteller, except that one time I hit a possum and killed it with my car. If it had been a dog, I would have swerved, I promise. I love dogs and get along with cats just fine.

Know how to make a dog sound like a cat? Put one in the freezer for a few days and then run it through your table saw...MMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEOW!

//no animals were harmed by this joke, nor by its reteller, except that one time I hit a possum and killed it with my car. If it had been a dog, I would have swerved, I promise. I love dogs and get along with cats just fine.

Yes, I disclaim any knowledge of knowing that this joke was even remotely funny...NICE!!!! VERY NICE!:lol::lol:

Mine uses Methanol - I make sure of it on the can. Others use Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone as well. Yeah, a chimney starter is probably the best way to go long term...

Top Bottom