What's new

My Soap Making Adventure

I was worried about adding clay but it seems to have mixed very well. We will see in a few weeks...
$20160531_154226.jpg

Have you tried adding citric acid for hard water? It's a natural chelating agent for calcium carbonate.

I have heard of using potassium carbonate for hard water but have yet to use any. I was also told to use Tetrasodium EDTA as a preservative agent and titanium dioxide to maintain whiteness but haven't used either of those since I'm still in my beta 1.X stage. Those are the sorts of things I will begin to play with once my recipes are dialed in where I need them. I have a feeling it's going to take dozens of batches just become modestly proficient at making shave soap.

Since this soap literally has dirt and sheep lanolin in it I am using a very manly scent profile.
Wild Wild West:
Top notes of Tumble Weeds, Basil Leaves, and Tonka Beans; followed by middle notes of Brushed Suede, Earthy Patchouli, and Amber Stone; all sitting on manly base notes of Aged Saddle Leather, Red Cedar, and Full Musk.

Cooking is almost done!
$14647292869501174464835.jpg

Why in the world would you want to add more cleansing to a shave soap? A shaver should wash his face with a cleansing soap BEFORE he begins lathering his shave soap. I don't need any cleansing from my shave soap, and I believe that the less cleansing a shave soap is, the better.

I believe this is my best batch so far, I'm very excited to try this soap. The entire house smells like a leather shop, I think my wife is going to kill me when she gets home! Haha
$20160531_164028.jpg
$20160531_164014.jpg

Why in the world would you want to add more cleansing to a shave soap? A shaver should wash his face with a cleansing soap BEFORE he begins lathering his shave soap. I don't need any cleansing from my shave soap, and I believe that the less cleansing a shave soap is, the better.

Version 1.1 was off-the-charts creamy and had hardly any cleaning. I needed to add just a little bit of bubbly and cleaning to round out the soap I think. I don't think adding 15% coconut oil is an unreasonable addition to shave soap as most of the high end shave soaps have 15% or more which adds cleansing to the soap.

MdC is going to have a much much higher cleansing score than my soap. I'll include the ingredients for reference as I believe it will help educate everyone following:
Stearic Acid, Aqua, Coconut Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Aroma "Fougère"

I have heard of using potassium carbonate for hard water but have yet to use any. I was also told to use Tetrasodium EDTA as a preservative agent and titanium dioxide to maintain whiteness but haven't used either of those since I'm still in my beta 1.X stage. Those are the sorts of things I will begin to play with once my recipes are dialed in where I need them. I have a feeling it's going to take dozens of batches just become modestly proficient at making shave soap.

I believe EDTA is actually another chelating agent but you certainly will have fun with this craft.

Great thread. I was always interested in soap making but I already have enough soap for the next 2 decades (and it's not only shaving soap).
Instead I'll follow your "soap making adventure". :001_smile

Have you tried adding citric acid for hard water? It's a natural chelating agent for calcium carbonate.

Tetrasodium EDTA is your best bet in a formula like this as it acts as a chelating agent to help prevent metals within water from affecting the lather in a shaving cream or shaving soap. Citric Acid is a pH adjuster that can have an effect on Calcium Carbonate which is a base. Citric Acid in soap would react with the hydroxide making it a lower pH and will break down the soap and turn it back into oils and water.

Thanks guys, I had a good response typed on my phone and then of course internet crashed. I appreciate the support and help that you all are giving me!
The clay is a game-changer! I went ahead and grabbed the small puck and shaved with it. I know, I know, I should wait a couple days but I just could not wait. The clay provided lubrication beyond my wildest imagination. It's almost like an industrial strength lubricant. I can't believe the difference it makes and I'm just floored absolutely floored!!!

I went ahead and took a picture of my brush after it was loaded. I will provide the lather pictures once the pucks have cured.
$20160531_183024.jpg

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, did you make any other changes to the formula other than adding the clay?

Thanks guys, I had a good response typed on my phone and then of course internet crashed. I appreciate the support and help that you all are giving me!
The clay is a game-changer! I went ahead and grabbed the small puck and shaved with it. I know, I know, I should wait a couple days but I just could not wait. The clay provided lubrication beyond my wildest imagination. It's almost like an industrial strength lubricant. I can't believe the difference it makes and I'm just floored absolutely floored!!!

I went ahead and took a picture of my brush after it was loaded. I will provide the lather pictures once the pucks have cured.
View attachment 662729

Yes, and it already occurred to me that I changed so many ingredients that I could not say for certain it was the clay, but this stuff was so slick, so ridiculously lubricating that I just knew it had to be clay haha
I typed clay into the search here and found all sorts of conflicting evidence one way or the other so it looks like I will have to make the recipe minus the clay and try them side-by-side to know for sure. That sounds really boring though and I'd rather just yell that clay is the most amazing ingredient on Earth over and over even if it is horribly ignorant LOL :thumbup1:

Benjamin,
I appreciate your welcoming attitude toward my participation in your thread and I am happy to be able to contribute to someones learning experience but also to have learned some things from your experiences myself!

I asked that question because in the past I have made more than one change to a formula and was reminded by one of my mentors to try one thing at a time and I know how eager one can be to try new things! In trying new ideas in my current project, I was surprised that the one I decided to pursue is one I thought might not be as plausible as I was hoping yet it turned out to be the best option! So I understand your excitement in trying the clay! I have seen many conflicting things about the use of clay myself and have been on the negative side myself although I have used clay quite often in regular handcrafted soap but as a natural colorant! The only way you're going to know is to try a batch without the clay but with the new lye ratio and see how it turns out! If it turns out well with the right characteristics then you've learned something and if it isn't quite as nice as this sample then you know what direction that will take you! Thanks again for letting me participate, comment and learn from your experience!

Yes, and it already occurred to me that I changed so many ingredients that I could not say for certain it was the clay, but this stuff was so slick, so ridiculously lubricating that I just knew it had to be clay haha
I typed clay into the search here and found all sorts of conflicting evidence one way or the other so it looks like I will have to make the recipe minus the clay and try them side-by-side to know for sure. That sounds really boring though and I'd rather just yell that clay is the most amazing ingredient on Earth over and over even if it is horribly ignorant LOL :thumbup1:

Tetrasodium EDTA is your best bet in a formula like this as it acts as a chelating agent to help prevent metals within water from affecting the lather in a shaving cream or shaving soap. Citric Acid is a pH adjuster that can have an effect on Calcium Carbonate which is a base. Citric Acid in soap would react with the hydroxide making it a lower pH and will break down the soap and turn it back into oils and water.
Thanks, this would explain why you don't usually use it in soap making but I know it can be used to soften water.

Shave Soap Tallow v1.2
V1.1 didn't have enough cleaning and at 70% KOH was a little too soft, I am going back to 60/40. Also added coconut oil to help with lathering in hard water and to add cleaning properties. In reintroducing lanolin and adding clay.
View attachment 662625

You mention adding lanolin and clay, but I don't see them on the list. Admittedly I might not be reading the list properly, but is there some known ratio to use based on another ingredient?

Top Bottom