What's new

Millennials

I had posted this several weeks ago on another forum and was promptly informed by several millennial's that all the problems millennial's have can be laid squarely at the feet of baby boomers, meaning me born in 1947.
My son is 36 and recently hired a 30 year retired Navy vet as a courier. He's 52 and works circles around the 20 something's. My son wishes he could hire a few more like him and show the millennials the door if they don't get their acts together.

btw Navy says he's working to give his wife all she missed when he was on a ship someplace and to spoil his grandkids. .

Priorities are way different at 25 than they are at 55. Take those same 50 year olds of today and reverse the clock by 30 years, and I'd just about guarantee that their bosses back then were convinced they were worthless too.

I had posted this several weeks ago on another forum and was promptly informed by several millennial's that all the problems millennial's have can be laid squarely at the feet of baby boomers, meaning me born in 1947.
My son is 36 and recently hired a 30 year retired Navy vet as a courier. He's 52 and works circles around the 20 something's. My son wishes he could hire a few more like him and show the millennials the door if they don't get their acts together.

btw Navy says he's working to give his wife all she missed when he was on a ship someplace and to spoil his grandkids. .

They ARE the children of Boomers though....:tongue_sm

~40 years young as of last Tuesday

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Every generation looks at its own youth through rose colored glasses, and at the current youth through crap colored ones.
Pretty good music though, eh?

They ARE the children of Boomers though....:tongue_sm

~40 years young as of last Tuesday

I've been 69 for the last 24 days. Neither of my kids has had anything ''handed'' to them. My wife's' employer, the state, offered free college tuition. My son screwed that up with partying, booze and broads, [who knew?]something he now regrets because he then had to pay for his education.
My daughter took the train 3 days a week from RI to NY to attend classes at Cornell, and held down a job at the same time. Her field of study has changed and she is now a nationally accredited EMS instructor and turns down multiple job offers almost every month.
They both learned the hard way, something many millennians today aren't willing to do. They both appreciate what they have both earned through hard work.
They are the children of this boomer and I could not be prouder. Well, except for my twin 2 year old grandsons.

proxy.php
Thanks for proving the point that Gen X'ers are part of Genertation Snowflake.
http://endoftheamericandream.com/ar...sification-of-our-overly-coddled-young-people

I've been 69 for the last 24 days. Neither of my kids has had anything ''handed'' to them. My wife's' employer, the state, offered free college tuition. My son screwed that up with partying, booze and broads, [who knew?]something he now regrets because he then had to pay for his education.
My daughter took the train 3 days a week from RI to NY to attend classes at Cornell, and held down a job at the same time. Her field of study has changed and she is now a nationally accredited EMS instructor and turns down multiple job offers almost every month.
They both learned the hard way, something many millennians today aren't willing to do. They both appreciate what they have both earned through hard work.
They are the children of this boomer and I could not be prouder. Well, except for my twin 2 year old grandsons.

It's hard not to slag on all of them, b/c some are really hustling (like the one who's bringing me my food). It's a shame your son didn't realize that college has all of those things WHEN YOU WORK HARD. The next couple of decades are going to be rough for most of us.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Old thread but just venting.

What's up with Millennials? Last year my crew started taking time off weekly, and did a crappy job on top of it. This year I've hired a crew that does excellent work, but since school has started, mid-August, they call in once a week to ask for time off because of something. Back in the day, when I entered the work force, my bosses were still largely WII vets. That would not have flown for a second.

Oh, my. I am 66...and worked for some of those WWIl vets and depression era guys. They often went out of their way to make the workplace a miserable and toxic environment. My generation was torn apart by Viet Nam and related issues and we struggled with periods of economic uncertainty. And then we had to come to grips with massive technological change. The younger folks today, our kids and grandkids, grasp technology the way we mastered hula hoops and Honda 50s. And their ability to drive, drink a $4 cup of coffee, and text at the same time simply amazes me! Like, totally.

Old thread but just venting.

What's up with Millennials? Last year my crew started taking time off weekly, and did a crappy job on top of it. This year I've hired a crew that does excellent work, but since school has started, mid-August, they call in once a week to ask for time off because of something. Back in the day, when I entered the work force, my bosses were still largely WII vets. That would not have flown for a second.

Sounds like you've got some college students working for you. They probably have exams or school activities that they have to fit in. When I was in school, there was virtually no flexibility with exams in particular. You were given one shot at a particular time, place and date for it, and if you missed it, too bad. Professors tended to be hard noses about it; short of the deity of your choice hand delivering an excuse on your behalf to the professor, no make up exams. The schedule flexibility has to come from somewhere, so they'll come to you instead.

WW2 era bosses probably didn't have too many college students working for them in those days, at least not during school periods, so I'd say schedule flexibility didn't come up all too often. Nowadays, many students have to work year round to keep their heads at least partially above water. It's the new fad.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Sounds like you've got some college students working for you. They probably have exams or school activities that they have to fit in. When I was in school, there was virtually no flexibility with exams in particular. You were given one shot at a particular time, place and date for it, and if you missed it, too bad. Professors tended to be hard noses about it; short of the deity of your choice hand delivering an excuse on your behalf to the professor, no make up exams. The schedule flexibility has to come from somewhere, so they'll come to you instead.

WW2 era bosses probably didn't have too many college students working for them in those days, at least not during school periods, so I'd say schedule flexibility didn't come up all too often. Nowadays, many students have to work year round to keep their heads at least partially above water. It's the new fad.

Nope, they are not College students. They are doing this as a full time job to earn a living.

Nope, they are not College students. They are doing this as a full time job to earn a living.

I developed a theory toward the end of my formal workplace career. My last official acts were training the Millennials to take over. As with anything, there was good and bad. The good: They are better educated and receptive to the changing dynamic of the demographic in the country. They play nicer with others. The bad: They tended to manage by "phone" from the 'seat of their pants' without the level of planning I was accustomed and relied on technology to cover the gaps created. I will admit, they seemed a bit 'soft' by my standards. Frankly, I liked them for the most part. I came to the conclusion they did not feel the same level of 'loyalty' to the job and for good reason. Many do not anticipate being there for 40 years yet alone 40 months. They did not share the same optimism regarding management and the company as we old timers. Can you blame them? I say no. My handsome union pension, personal benefits, and job security were not afforded to them for doing the same job and they knew it. I don't blame them for being mercenary. Either way, I think it is important for us to listen to them.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Oh, my. I am 66...and worked for some of those WWIl vets and depression era guys. They often went out of their way to make the workplace a miserable and toxic environment. My generation was torn apart by Viet Nam and related issues and we struggled with periods of economic uncertainty. And then we had to come to grips with massive technological change. The younger folks today, our kids and grandkids, grasp technology the way we mastered hula hoops and Honda 50s. And their ability to drive, drink a $4 cup of coffee, and text at the same time simply amazes me! Like, totally.
As toxic as they may have been they definitely instilled a work ethic...work or die damn hippie, or hit the road (method)...lol! In that way they were good teachers for both the good and the bad things. I learned from them to at least try to come to a middle ground. Now it's, I can't come in my dog died, it's my wife's birthday (without a 24 hour notice, I have to work on one of my vehicles (never mind they work nights, and have daylight to work on their vehicle all week, weekends, until they get it done).

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I developed a theory toward the end of my formal workplace career. My last official acts were training the Millennials to take over. As with anything, there was good and bad. The good: They are better educated and receptive to the changing dynamic of the demographic in the country. They play nicer with others. The bad: They tended to manage by "phone" from the 'seat of their pants' without the level of planning I was accustomed and relied on technology to cover the gaps created. I will admit, they seemed a bit 'soft' by my standards. Frankly, I liked them for the most part. I came to the conclusion they did not feel the same level of 'loyalty' to the job and for good reason. Many do not anticipate being there for 40 years yet alone 40 months. They did not share the same optimism regarding management and the company as we old timers. Can you blame them? I say no. My handsome union pension, personal benefits, and job security were not afforded to them for doing the same job and they knew it. I don't blame them for being mercenary. Either way, I think it is important for us to listen to them.
+1 True that. I work in the Public school system. We have a Union, good pay, vacation, paid sick time, leave, paid snow days, every holiday that comes along paid, great health insurance, Para retirement, and room to advance up into Hvac, Carpentry, Electrical, and Tech Departments in a pretty recession proof setting.

+1 True that. I work in the Public school system. We have a Union, good pay, vacation, paid sick time, leave, paid snow days, every holiday that comes along paid, great health insurance, Para retirement, and room to advance up into Hvac, Carpentry, Electrical, and Tech Departments in a pretty recession proof setting.

Amen. And I might add, I was rifling through applications that required GED's and most applicants had BA's. By the end, as I got to know the new guys and gals better, they were on average $25,000 dollars in debt from college loans before they hit the ground running. I can't help but feel that is an injustice.

When it all boils down, the tension I felt was very similar to that which I felt with my own children. A natural generational disconnect.

Top Bottom