What's new

Millennials

Alex, that is a sobering experience but one I have dealt with myself. It has been said, and you will likely hear it yourself, that 'luck' seems to go hand in hand with hard working people.

It is a mark of our current society that a good segment of it believes if someone has a dollar more than they do, a home one square foot larger or a newer car, they somehow had this handed to them in an unfair manner. It was fraud or falsery or worse yet, the dreaded privelege. Keep true to your ethics and you will outlast them all.

Pretty funny and well done video. Time for TL;DR.

As an early millennial type (born '83), it's pretty easy to identify with some of the stereotypes. I was in school when the sea change of paradigms really got started, so I was able to witness many of them. Thankfully, I wasn't subjected to many of the ones occurring today. As an example, on the spot corporal punishment was commonplace and in full effect until I came of high school age. In my early years, if a teacher, principal or other such adult type authority figure decided you rated a paddling, then your butt and the pine were going to meet, quick, fast and severe. By the time I made it to high school, paddling was an extremely rare event and was heavily regulated in application. Nowadays, it's probably no longer practiced at all, for better or worse.

"Participation" trophies started happening around then as well, particularly during my time in Little League and Babe Ruth League baseball, though many of my peers didn't see the point and didn't want them. I thought of them as a tangible symbol of my shortcomings and I didn't want to see or have it. I saw several of them wind up in the trash cans and on the road side on the way home. It went from being "sorry you didn't make All Star, better luck next time, turn in your uniform and go home" to a small trophy and adulations just for showing up.

Many of us (myself included) grew up in nice homes, received nice presents on Christmas and birthdays, everything we needed and much of what we wanted was readily provided. My parents were pretty well established career and financial wise before I came into the picture; they were married roughly 10 years before I came along, both were established in full time jobs and had a house nearly halfway paid for. As a generation, we had little to no concept of our parents' 'salad days'. Our frame of reference for living on our own was what we knew growing up. It's a rude awakening to find out that you're not even close to being able to live as your parents do.

There's a number of challenges that millennials face nowadays that our forebearers didn't experience to the same degree. High levels of student loan debt to get that 'all important' degree as the only way to a 'good job' is a good one. Job market woes, wage stagnation relative to prices, high rents and home prices outstripping pay rates all hurt as well. I've often heard it said that nowadays, families who don't pull in a six figure income have no business trying to buy a house. In some areas of the country, I'd believe that 100%.

When I graduated from university, I was carrying $4k in student loans and another $3k on a credit card. Even with a STEM type degree (CIS), it still took me a year to find a job, and that was phone based tech support making $8/hour part time. Many applications, one interview, networking and no offers prior to that. Most entry level positions wanted a degree and X years of experience, the latter of which frustrated me to no end. I paid off the loan and card debt within my first year on the job, but I was living at home and putting the lion's share of my pay towards debt (and paying a modicum of rent for my room). I wouldn't have been able to finance a cheap used car, much less get approved to rent an apartment/trailer/house, never mind a house of my own at a rate just a shade over minimum wage, debt or no debt. I feel for those who financed tens of thousands for their degrees and end up having trouble finding full time, above minimum wage work. Sure, there are plenty of us who are content to live in our parents' homes indefinitely, squander what money we have on froo froo and not strike out on our own. There are also plenty of us whose debt load and low incomes leave us with the choice of living with our parents or be homeless.

I'm fortunate to have worked my way up in my career to where I can comfortably afford to take care of myself and my wife, and keep up rent on a small apartment while we bank some dough toward a home. If I can keep my star rising in the world, then I'll hopefully make it good.

proxy.php

I'd say very true for many people, not just millennials. When I was 16 and practicing for the driver's test, I was taught parallel parking and driving a stick at the same time. In hindsight, I should've filmed the escapades for AFV. It was a hoot all around, and I probably burnt up 20k miles worth of clutch, but I learned and came to prefer manuals. Personally, I think basic manual proficiency should be a part of the driving license test.

You want a real anti theft device for those under 40? Carburetor with manual choke.

I learned to drive in a 77 Ford Ranger with three on the tree.

I teach high school seniors. Today was graduation. I yelled at a kid for showing up wearing no tie, blue jeans, and tennis shoes. I asked him how many times in the last two weeks had he heard me give explicit instructions on how they'd better come dressed. I know he has nice enough clothes because I've seen him wear them. It's not as if he couldn't afford it. He said this is what his mom picked out, and she thought it would be OK. I asked him who was in charge, me or his mom, and told him he better start acting like a man instead of checking with his mom to see whether or not he needs to go to the bathroom.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, parents don't prepare their kids for the realities of what will come. I can't count the number of times through the years when I lay out the facts to kids at the start of school ("If you don't want the truth, don't ask me question. If you want something sugar coated, go buy some M&M's.") only to have them shake their heads and tell me I'm wrong, then come back after about a year and say "You were right."

On work ethic, my favorite saying to students is this: The people you call "try hard" now are the same people you will call "boss" in the future.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Funny video Phil. That guy is a great singer.

SWMBO is a General Manager and has several millennials working for her. She saw the video below and said "They got that one right." :biggrin1:

Last edited by a moderator:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'd say very true for many people, not just millennials. When I was 16 and practicing for the driver's test, I was taught parallel parking and driving a stick at the same time. In hindsight, I should've filmed the escapades for AFV. It was a hoot all around, and I probably burnt up 20k miles worth of clutch, but I learned and came to prefer manuals. Personally, I think basic manual proficiency should be a part of the driving license test.

You want a real anti theft device for those under 40? Carburetor with manual choke.
How are they supposed to use their phone, then? :biggrin:

Saw this cute and funny poke at Millennial stereotypes and thought it was great.
Moreover, the artist, Micah Tyler, is a pretty amazing talent.

That at was quite funny, guy is talented. Thanks for sharing Phil.

Last edited by a moderator:
I learned to drive in a 77 Ford Ranger with three on the tree.

I teach high school seniors. Today was graduation. I yelled at a kid for showing up wearing no tie, blue jeans, and tennis shoes. I asked him how many times in the last two weeks had he heard me give explicit instructions on how they'd better come dressed. I know he has nice enough clothes because I've seen him wear them. It's not as if he couldn't afford it. He said this is what his mom picked out, and she thought it would be OK. I asked him who was in charge, me or his mom, and told him he better start acting like a man instead of checking with his mom to see whether or not he needs to go to the bathroom.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, parents don't prepare their kids for the realities of what will come. I can't count the number of times through the years when I lay out the facts to kids at the start of school ("If you don't want the truth, don't ask me question. If you want something sugar coated, go buy some M&M's.") only to have them shake their heads and tell me I'm wrong, then come back after about a year and say "You were right."

On work ethic, my favorite saying to students is this: The people you call "try hard" now are the same people you will call "boss" in the future.

I'm gonna guess it's not you... :tongue_sm

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I feel that all generations have their pros and cons. I just felt like tossing some quotes in this thread:

"I believe what really happens in history is this: the old man is always wrong; and the young people are always wrong about what is wrong with him. The practical form it takes is this: that, while the old man may stand by some stupid custom, the young man always attacks it with some theory that turns out to be equally stupid." -G.K. Chesterton

"Be kind, don't judge, and have respect for others. If we can all do this, the world would be a better place. The point is to teach this to the next generation" -Jasmine Guinness

"Each generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it" -George Orwell

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Nor should it be, frankly. Kids have been wearing sneakers under graduation gowns forever.

And as to who is in charge, a parent or a teacher? That's not even a close call.

Ah, but does the school have a dress code policy? If so, that changes a few things. Parents sign up for those things, so they should know they have to follow the rules.

Top Bottom