What's new

So. What do you hunt?

The B&B membership is spread very broadly in geographical terms as well as culturally. Hunting plays a large part in many cultures and has longstanding historical significance for many people.

Please let us know;
- what you hunt? (one or more target species during the course of the year?)
- where do you hunt? (are you lucky enough to walk out the back door and get to it?)
- what sort of weaponry do you use? (rifle, shotgun, bow and arrow?)

Me, firstly...

I grew up in country Australia and did a lot of bird shooting (ducks and quail) as well as rabbit and fox shooting (removing pests from friends' properties). It was 12 gauge shotguns and small bore rifles for me and mainly within a couple of hours of home.

In recent years I haven't done any hunting whatsoever, but the urge to buy a larger rifle is there from time to time...

Deer, elk, antelope, waterfowl, upland birds. Many different guns, razor collection is second only to the guns in the safe. Fling some arrows now and then, not much skill with them, may as well toss rocks.

Upland birds for the most part. Absolutely love upland bird hunting. Grouse and pheasant. I use an O/U 12ga.

Deer every other year or so. I don't really live for it, but it's nice and therapeutic up in the stand. 30-06 bolt action.

I'm fortunate enough to get to where I want to be leaving from my back yard.

I once had ambition to bow hunt, but that faded and I now have a Ross compound that is basically an ornament. I'd like to get back into it.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Dove, quail, turkey, deer, and hogs! Hogs all year long!
I am blessed here in South Texas to have it all within 2 hours of my home.
An hour west is bass fishing and an hour east are reds and speckled trout.
This guy will soon be mounted!
Life is good!!

Attachments

• $image.jpeg
    $image.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 163
Lately squirrels have been the primary quarry, using a pellet rifle. Haven't had the opportunity to get out for large game or upland birds lately. Sometime soon...hopefully later this year.

$image.jpg
$image.jpg

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Deer and Elk, but generally just Elk these days. I can hunt deer on my property (Indiana), but I generally don't as I have plenty of elk meat most years. I elk hunt in Colorodo, just outside Glenwood Springs. I use a Savage in 300 Win Mag - usually with Federal Fusion 180g, but I've been working up some hand loads as well.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
In Michigan, so far nothing. However, I see rabbit, squirrel, deer, and ducks in the next year though. Lots of national forest/public land here to hunt which is new to me.

When I was still in Texas it was Whitetail, dove, hogs, coyotes, rabbit, and squirrel.

My mainstays are a Marlin 22wmr for squirrels and rabbits, a Remington 1100 12g for birds, and a Remington 700 in 30-06 for everything else. Don't have the patience to bow hunt.
Adam

Deer, Dove, Pigs,Cotton Tails and nuisance Beavers (they are destroying one of our small 10 acre lakes)

I have gone strictly bow (Limbsaver Speedzone @ 70# 30" draw using Muzzy Broadheads) the last few years for Deer and Pigs but use my dad's old Savage 99E in .243 for them if I get frustrated, 12 ga and small caliber rifles for the rest.

Mule deer, antelope, black bear, Hogs, dove, quail, band tails, pheasant, duck, geese, cotton tails, bobcat, grey fox, coyote, grey squirrel and badger.

-California, Arizona, Idaho.

-Calibers used just for "hunting:"

-Rifles (bolts actions, semi-autos, lever-guns); // shotguns (doubles, semi-autos, pumps); // handguns, (semi-autos, wheel-guns)

-Hunting Calibers:
(Rifles) .22LR, .22WMR, .223, .243, .308, .30-06, .38spl/.357, .45-70.
(Shotguns) 12ga, 20ga, 28ga, .410.
(Handguns) .22LR, 9mm, .38Super, 10mm, .44mag, .45LC

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Mostly possums and other varmints around the house these days with a suppressed .22lr pistol or rifle.
I have hunted deer in the past, would like to again in the future. I have deer rifles, all bolt actions in 6.5 x 55, 7-08, .308 and formerly a .270 that I wish I still had. 12 gauge semiauto shot gun for squirrels and doves. Pellet gun for nuisance squirrel around the house. I have several hand guns suitable for hunting with in most of the popular hunting calibers and a couple TC Contender pistols, one in 7-30 Waters that would be a good deer slayer.

Last edited:
I only shoot what I will eat (meat hunter not a head hunter).

White tail deer and only yearlings. I see turkey and bear but never shoot them even tough the license says I can.

I enjoy watching the wildlife more than hunting them and only take two deer a year. The first one during the early season, then I watch them the rest of the season until the last week when I take my second.

I learned to hunt like this from my wife who started to tell me "well you have your two so you don't need to go hunting any more this season" which is why it takes me until the last week to get my second one :001_smile

For me its deer, pheasant, goose and squirrel. The weapons I use vary depending upon what the game is. I use a .22 pistol for squirrel, 12-gauge for birds, muzzleloader and bow for deer.

Not really hunting, but I do stalk big carp from time to time! Creeping around a lake in camo gear trying to trick the wary beasts into taking my bait:biggrin1: All catch and release though.

Deer and Elk, but generally just Elk these days. I can hunt deer on my property (Indiana), but I generally don't as I have plenty of elk meat most years. I elk hunt in Colorodo, just outside Glenwood Springs. I use a Savage in 300 Win Mag - usually with Federal Fusion 180g, but I've been working up some hand loads as well.

Another Savage guy! Love mine. Started shooting Savage rifles since I am a southpaw and they have so many more lefty offerings than other makers. For big game, I hunt (elk usually) with a .300 WinMag 116 with an internal magazine (I detest box mags in hunting rifles) and a Ruger no.1 in .45-70 Government, my favorite hunting rifle. I picked up recurve shooting and want to start bow hunting this year for deer and get a pig or two in on my brother in law's place in Texas.

Most at of my hunting nowadays is for smaller game - I duck hunt on the river that is just down the road from my place, and float the river all winter when I can. Also er....hunt trout and steelhead with a fly rod.

I've gone for deer, pheasant, quail, rabbit, squirrel and crow with my dad in my teen years. Haven't been in ages

We belonged to a Sportsman Club in Essex, IL (About 60 miles south of Chicago)

Deer was compound bow. Everything else was shotgun.

Top Bottom