What's new

An Eye for an Eye, a PIF for a PIF

Great PIF idea. I love that handle and if I had that I would have difficulty deciding on a whether to put a nice boar knot in it or a decent badger. Then again I don't have a horse hair yet (HMM, not a bad idea). Anyway, as cool as that handle is I am going to opt out of the PIF-ortunity (I'm not in) because I really have so much and I don't need to start my brush AD up again.
I do want to know if that handle is considered "substantial" in weight. One of our fellow B&B members (dcbahr) was recently asking about brush handles that are heavy or substantial. HE would love to get that handle with a high mountain or Silvertip badger knot in it. I found him a brass handle that weights 8 ounces (yes, one half pound...it is like a door stop) but I think he would really dig that handle.
*maybe you can post a couple in the buy/sell/trade thread from time to time (check the rules)

My first PIF was one I won from thevez2. It was billed as a PIF if a "tallow first" version of Williams mug soap. What I received in the mail was SO much more. One thing in the box was a pick of the most amazing (and hard to find) pucks of Williams Tonsorial soaps. Also included was a note to pay it forward in my own way someday.

I have since PIF'd 8 or 10 Williams and Colgate Tonsorial soap pucks (I blame the Vez) as well as a some home made soaps, a few vintage razors and many tucks of blades. I have been the lucky recipient of a couple more PIFs (some cool ones like a HUGE box of aftershaves from Kansaskyle, several soaps from Skypsyd & cvargo and some cool strop material from labrax come to mind)

I'll tell you this, I love to win PIFs (who doesn't) but being able to PIF to others is the most incredible thing. Like most men, accepting gifts from others is hard to do but being able to share the things I collect and enjoy feels almost like a selfish act because I enjoy it so much.
Awesome story! As for the handle weight, I don't have a postal scale but I guarantee it's not the weight of brass! I would say it's on the lighter end of middle of the road, if that makes sense? It's not as light as a hollow handle but it's not as heavy as, say, a metal handle.

I didn't think I COULD sell these in the BST. Granted, I've got alot of interest with people asking me if I would. It says in the rules that:
Items that are modified or created by members do not belong in the BST, they must be posted in the Panjo Marketplace.

In any case, I don't think I'm at THAT level yet. When I get some new, more exotic wood, and hone my skills a bit more, I may decide to go that route. Until then, I'm more than happy just giving them away!

I didn't think I COULD sell these in the BST. Granted, I've got alot of interest with people asking me if I would. It says in the rules that:
Items that are modified or created by members do not belong in the BST, they must be posted in the Panjo Marketplace.

In any case, I don't think I'm at THAT level yet. When I get some new, more exotic wood, and hone my skills a bit more, I may decide to go that route. Until then, I'm more than happy just giving them away!

That's why I said check the rules, I know I see cool as heck stuff made by members for sale (don't think I ever see for trade) but I never exactly paid attention to the local. Makes sense though because the BST is for "gentlemanly" deals at a discount to some established value, of which a handmade item like yours would not have.

Regardless, I still think your PIF is great. Your handle is spectacular and your gentlemanly intent abounds.

Good luck to all who enter!

I'm in. Never tried putting together my own brush but seems like a perfect time to try if I win. I won a small cluster of PIFs and was humbled by the spirit of one in particular so I rePIFed that one to carry it on.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I'm in. I just did my first one a while back it had some of everything in it. It felt better to do a PIF than get a PIF honestly.

Beautifully done handle. Thanks and God Bless.

Adam

Just a little tidbit of information. I got a 24mm premium badger knot today from TGN and it's just slightly to big for this handle. I guess if the winner is going to put a TGN knot in it, it would have to be a 22mm.

On another note, I have a 24mm boar knot from TGN and it fits fine! Go figure?

Very nice and generous PIF Sir! I am in! I love the look and feel of a wooden brush handle.

I have been a member for over 4 years and have offered a few PIFs over the years. One just today in celebration of my 5,000th post. I liked the idea of the "paying it forward" or just expressing gratitude to the community. I like PIFs that encourage or help out a new wet shaver or someone branching into a new area.

I don't have the equipment or skills to turn my own handles but I have a couple vintage brushes I intend on restoring with new knots.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all of you guys' posts about your PIFs. It really cements the generosity of this site and makes me proud to be a B&B member and proud to do a PIF of my own. Good luck to everybody who's in!

I'm in! Thanks very much.

@CigarSmoka PIF'd me an awesome brush with his custom handle, great for big hands. I've since loaned it out to a friend who also has big hands because it's so incredibly comfortable. I gave him a bunch of stuff so he could try DE shaving again (he started out DE shaving in the Soviet Union).

I'm hoping to do my first PIF soon. I have the brush, blades, soap, but need to settle on a razor. Hoping to have a good starter kit for someone.

#24 [MENTION=105395]TexFlood[/MENTION]! Congrats I'll send you a PM and get this in the mail tomorrow!
proxy.php

Top Bottom