What's new

Hammered Copper Shaving Mug From Turkey - Has anybody else got one of these beauties?

This thread has piqued my curiosity and has me wanting to try one. I've been looking at the various offerings on Ebay and the product descriptions are pretty much the same except there is one vendor who specifically states, "DO NOT CONFUSE WITH CHEAP ONES, THIS ONE IS NOT THIN, IT IS THICK COPPER" ​Is this the case where there the various sellers of mugs have different quality of products or is this more likely a statement made by the vendor to get buyers to buy his mugs rather than other sellers mugs? Are they all the same (they appear so) or are some different? Has anyone here bought one and found it to be disappointing, cheap and flimsy?

This thread has piqued my curiosity and has me wanting to try one. I've been looking at the various offerings on Ebay and the product descriptions are pretty much the same except there is one vendor who specifically states, "DO NOT CONFUSE WITH CHEAP ONES, THIS ONE IS NOT THIN, IT IS THICK COPPER" ​Is this the case where there the various sellers of mugs have different quality of products or is this more likely a statement made by the vendor to get buyers to buy his mugs rather than other sellers mugs? Are they all the same (they appear so) or are some different? Has anyone here bought one and found it to be disappointing, cheap and flimsy?

I'm happy with mine
It's possible that heavier ones are available, but it could just be a clever bit of marketing
Mine is solid, sturdy and although I've not weighed it, fairly hefty

From my experience, IMHO you probably won't go far wrong bidding on one of the bowls from Turkey that is offered with Arko soap or razor blades

This thread has piqued my curiosity and has me wanting to try one. I've been looking at the various offerings on Ebay and the product descriptions are pretty much the same except there is one vendor who specifically states, "DO NOT CONFUSE WITH CHEAP ONES, THIS ONE IS NOT THIN, IT IS THICK COPPER" ​

After trying to save a few bucks losing several auction type listings I broke down and bought a copper mug from the merchant mentioned above who noted that their cups were made of thick copper, not thin. It was a "buy it now" listing which included a pack each of Shark, PolSilver and Astra SP blades. At first I couldn't see any difference between the one I bought and those in the other listings but when I looked closer and compared the interior, it has a more even, hammered look compared to the others which look like there are defined dimples punched into the tin. The auction listings I lost ranged from $7.50 to $10.00 so I'm not spending that much more ($10.99 delivered) not to have to fiddle around and wait for an auction. (Plus I wasn't interested in auctions with Arko as an add-on bonus.) I'm looking forward to seeing what I end up with!

I have one too that is similar....I wish the bottom was hammered as well. I know I know you put the puck there...what if I wanted to use a cream?

I'll be using mine with creams only. Right now I'm using a bowl with no texture and getting good results so any added texture at all will be a bonus.

I was shocked to pick up the mail and find that my hammered copper shave bowl/mug had been delivered! I wasn't expecting it until June at the earliest. From the order date to my doorstep was only 11 days! That's pretty awesome considering it traveled from Turkey to Minnesota. I'm very pleased with this bowl/mug, it's very sturdy and the perfect size. Although the picture in the listing I bought from showed a smoother/flatter hammered interior, I got one with the dimpled interior that's shown in all the listings for this kind of bowl/mug. I'll be giving it it's first test drive tomorrow!

I have had one of these for over a year. Bought it from the guy on ETSY. He gave excellent service and answered all of my email questions accurately and quickly. I use it every shave . I don't even think about buying another bowl. It's the one for me.

These things are starting to jump in price. Right now it looks like the going price on Ebay is $14.00.
I wonder if it's got anything to do with all of the B&B members who bought one at auction recently - the Turkish sellers were probably rubbing their hands together with the extra trade !! lol

I have been using mine since last December (Santa brought it) every day and I love it.

The "Dimples" make all the difference in the world!

These things are starting to jump in price. Right now it looks like the going price on Ebay is $14.00.

I found a couple on Etsy. One is $6.99 but I don't think it is copper since the entire outside of the cup is silver colored, not copper colored. Another one is available for $10.00 which does appear like the others I have seen online in the Bay. Interestingly the cheaper one charges $7.00 for shipping while the $10 one has free shipping. Kind of a no brainer. I'm thinking of ordering the $10.00 bowl. The only thing holding me back is my wife is going to start giving me junk for all the packages that have been coming to the house recently. I've been on a bit of a shave gear shopping binge lately. Ah, what the heck. You only live once, right?

I found a couple on Etsy. One is $6.99 but I don't think it is copper since the entire outside of the cup is silver colored, not copper colored. Another one is available for $10.00 which does appear like the others I have seen online in the Bay. Interestingly the cheaper one charges $7.00 for shipping while the $10 one has free shipping. Kind of a no brainer. I'm thinking of ordering the $10.00 bowl. The only thing holding me back is my wife is going to start giving me junk for all the packages that have been coming to the house recently. I've been on a bit of a shave gear shopping binge lately. Ah, what the heck. You only live once, right?

I say go for it!

Long ago, my Mrs. called me out for me having more shaving stuff than she has lady stuff!

Top Bottom