What's new

Hammered Copper Shaving Mug From Turkey - Has anybody else got one of these beauties?

My copper shaving mug arrived yesterday, and I used it this morning.
Mine was a bargain, considering it included an Arko shaving soap bowl, and I only bid 88c for it at auction on eBay+ €3,49 shipping from Turkey to Spain
There seem to be a lot of these at auction lately, some with blades, some with an Arko stick. The Buy Now price varies from around €9,00 up to about €15,00 - with or without free shipping, depending on the seller.

The bowl itself is sturdy and although it may look fragile, it will probably bounce a few times in the event of an accident, although for obvious reasons, I wouldn't want to put that to the test !!
It's well made from hammered copper, lined with stainless steel (or is that hammered stainless steel plated with copper) and has a sta-brite/copper handle very solidly riveted to it.
There are a few minor flaws and cosmetic blemishes, but thy're not glaringly obvious, and beauty being in the eye of the beholder either add character, or are a sign of each mug being unique because it is a product that is hand made by a craftsman. Or there's a 3rd possibility that all the ones that are up for auction may just be seconds.
It holds the heat very well, and the hammered texture makes it very quick and easy to whip up a lather.
I decided on a superlather made from Lider Shaving Cream, Old Spice Fresh Lime Shaving Cream & Unbranded Chinese puck soap for extra oomph
Franken-Scent Friday review:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/488958-Franken-Scent-Friday

This mug is definitely a keeper !!
Photos with an Arko bowl are to give you an idea of the proportions
View attachment 657586View attachment 657587View attachment 657588 $20160510_055017.jpgView attachment 657590

no no no just no its tin copper plate outside but I have one and love it had mine a year now I paid £1 plus a stick of arco and free delivery to the uk and yes it gets used most days but at weekends I use a scuttle
just for the info I know its tin cause my old one is welded to my old car as I had found a hole and it was going for its mot next day and sorry but the bowl was the only metal I had at that moment so it got it

Last edited:
I sure do. I even keep a couple around to give as gifts sometime. It is a favorite. You can hang it from a hook and save counter space. Drop it, it does not break. It raises and holds a lot of lather. In Turkey you can find them hanging in bunches at the bazaar kiosks.

I've been eyeing those on Ebay as well. They definitely look nice and certainly less fragile than my hand thrown bowls. I wouldn't mind having a third bowl to add to the rotation and think this one would make a great addition (and final bowl addition - until one of the others breaks).

I've been thinking about picking one of those up for a while, but I've been primarily face lathering lately and have so many other things to spend money on:tongue_sm. If I find one for that price I might break down and grab it.

linty1

My wallet cries.
What search term did you use to get it to show up? It looks great

just saw the title as I was saving this thread... was it hammered copper shaving mug? *smacks forehead*

About as good as I could ever find. Just the right size. Also can be dropped and won't break! I have a couple now. Just to have a spare!
And, the do work great. Also can be warmed up in sink so no scuttle necessary.

I have the same bowl, came with the puck of Arko (which I did not love) as well. I usually face lather, but it is great to lather with this bowl once in a while. Dropped it yesterday, didn't even put a dent in it, would've been a different story if it was my ceramic mug I had dropped!

I've got one that I use daily. I really like it. It's just the right size for the amount of lather I need for head shaving.

It it takes on a nice patina over time, the copper that is. Easy to brighten up with some polish or salt and lemon juice.

I find the entire structure to be too thin to retain much heat.

And, yes, the interior is tin not stainless steel, just like the traditional cookware it is patterened after

I bought one @ one year ago from a vendor on ETSY. It was a good vendor from Turkey. I have used this every shave since I bought it and have never thought of buying anything else (except a spare).

Top Bottom