What's new

My 32-Blade March Madness Bracket

I finally have two perfectly matching razors (iKon OSS), so I can do an experiment I've been imagining for a while.

I went through my blade stash and found my top 32 DE blades. Actually I had a few others, even after some recent culling, but I want to keep my bracket neat. And I know some of my real duds just don't need to be in the tourney.

Here's the bracket. I used an online tool to set it up so everyone can see it. Lemme

So the idea is a single-elimination tourney like this:

Identical razors to test two different blades during one shave. Identical prep, of course. One razor will be marked 1 and one will be marked 2. I won't know which blade is in which razor.

If the first shave in a matchup is a blowout, call it and move on. If it's close, best two out of three. (There are a lot of blades and I'm not getting any younger.)

Simple criteria: Which blade would I prefer to shave with? Obviously that will be determined by comfort, closeness, and post-shave feel. Price isn't a factor since I won't know which blade is which.

Before I kick off the tourney, any suggestions on how to do this better? Apologies if I haven't included your personal favorite; 32 is already a lot. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like fun, I'll be following this thread. Be sure to post a few pictures of the competition along the way.

Hey guys--the website with my bracket wasn't kosher, so the link is gone for a moment while I replace it with an image of the bracket instead.

I usually shave about five days a week, give or take.

The tourney kicks off tomorrow. The first round was going to be Kai vs Bic, but I can't find my Bics right now so we'll start with Astra SP vs Gillette Platinum.

Well, we have a day 1 minor upset.

ASTRA SP VS GILLETTE PLATINUM
iKon OSS x2
Stirling Coconut Lime
Honeyglide preshave
Rudy Vey Shavemac Two Band
Alum
Stirling Black Ice splash
Soap Smooth unscented balm

I did my usual WTG and XTG passes plus a reverse XTG on my cheeks. (This might become my standard for the tourney.)

Immediately razor 1 felt almost perfect. I thought "it can't get much better than this." No tugging, no discomfort. Razor 2 was very close--close enough that I had to add that third pass to give the blades a chance to show their colors.

The alum and splash sealed it, with razor 2's side having a bit of sting while razor 1's side had none.

Now, I would've given 5-1 odds that razor 1 was the Astra SP. But when I opened up the razor, there was a Gillette blade staring at me.

Let's see if this shows up.

proxy.php

Love the bracket idea! Quick question just for context: would you mind giving some details on your beard and skin type? It's good to know for those of us new to some of these blades. Thanks!

Love the bracket idea! Quick question just for context: would you mind giving some details on your beard and skin type? It's good to know for those of us new to some of these blades. Thanks!

I guess you could say I've got a quick-growing, somewhat heavy (Mediterranean and Eastern European) beard. Skin isn't ultra sensitive but not cowboy tough either. I can shave atg on cheeks but not on neck.

I usually prefer sharp blades in mild razors, and I don't much care for long walks on the beach. :)

Man, this sucks.

This is the equivalent of Brazil, Italy or Germany being eliminated in the first round of a World Cup. :lol:

WOW! I am most impressed that you have your "top 32." For me it is a top 5 or top 10!

Look forward to the tournament! :thumbup:

Top Bottom