What's new

The Day Has Come

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Today was My very first shave with a Gem 1912 JR. which was lent to me from polishaver (JEFF).
I must say the shave was amazing ,very smooth and very close . No problems with any irritation or blood :w00t:
I liked it so much that I went to the bay and bought 1 and made a offer on another:biggrin1:
Now The soap that Jeff gave me was from his wife and all I can say is I want More :thumbup:very slick and easy to lather. The name of The soap is "Clean Cut" (Vetiver) by Victoria & Margaret. the Brush was My Favorite Zenith Horse Hair.
The Blade was a Gem stainless. Blades where and what to buy ?
I hate you guy's for finding another why too make Me spend My money:w00t:
Here are a few pictures.
$IMG_4651.jpg$IMG_4657.jpg$IMG_4660.jpg$IMG_4666.jpg$IMG_4667.jpg

Graydog,
If you weren't spending it on shaving soap and new-to-you 100 year old razors, you would just waste it on food or something.....
congrats on your new hobby-within-a-hobby....

Congratulations, and welcome to the sharper side. :thumbup1:

Keep in mind that this was your first shave - with experience it's going to get even better.

Gem stainless steel blade can be ordered from walgreens.com or in bulk from Ted Pella or Connaught shaving. Connaught is actually the cheapest, even with shipping from the UK.

One nice thing about single edge razors is that you can buy several to try without breaking the bank. At least, not until you decide that you must have a Schick F, an Ever-Ready Streamline set, or a C. V. Heljestrand.

--Bob

--Bob

I had a suspicion that you would like the Gem, the blades are gem ptfe coated stainless. I found them from Connaught $23 shipped from the U.K. for 100 and I usually get about 5 shaves per blade. You should've given us a lather pic:tongue_sm

Nice picture ... The SE razors are great.

I have a Gem 1912 JR. And, I use the Gem "Blue Star" blades. They are carbon steel and sharp. You can find them at
most CVS drug or online.

You only have to remember to dry them after the shave. I do this with all my blades anyway.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
ALL You Guy's are enablers :w00t: Well I just bought 4 on the Bay ,A Star an Ever Ready and 2 Gems.
Can One of you in the know tell me about the different types Like the G-Bar and The Micromatic .
Are most of these made from Brass (I Hope )

Graydog, I prefer the Micromatic OC in brass, no plating. Looks great, no maintenance. Built like a tank.

The experts here will fill you in on the details you ask about.

Graydog, My favorite is the Gem G-Bar ... AKA the HFT (Heavy Flat Top).

It's $G2.jpgplated brass, also a tank, no maintenance. It's efficient but you can use it every single day.
Put a Gem blade in this and it doesn't get any better. Nice looking too ... way ahead of its time ...1950's.

ALL You Guy's are enablers :w00t: Well I just bought 4 on the Bay ,A Star an Ever Ready and 2 Gems.
Can One of you in the know tell me about the different types Like the G-Bar and The Micromatic .
Are most of these made from Brass (I Hope )

Most SE's are made primarily of brass, which may be nickel, gold, or chrome plated, or not plated at all. More plastic and some zamak was used in some of the last SE's.

The Micromatic Open Comb was the first TTO, pre-dating Gillette by a few years. It is considered an aggressive razor. It was followed by the Clog-Pruf with the open comb replaced by a safety bar. It's slightly less agressive than the MMOC, as the Micromatic Open Comb is sometimes called.

The last Micromatic was the Flying Wing, commonly called the bullet tip. It is a mild razor. The Micromatics are very solidly built razors - you have to really work at it to break one.

The Heavy Flat Top, as the G-Bar was officially known, and the Featherweight both have heads that are essentially an update of the classic 1912 design. The G-Bar has a nice plated brass handle, the Featherweight has a plastic handle.

You might also want to take a look at the Ever-Ready 1914 and 1924. These are nicely constructed smooth shaving razors that tend to be more aggressive than the 1912.

A whole new world . . . :001_rolle

--Bob

Top Bottom