What's new

Appalachian Trail Section Hike

The LOML and I finished a short section hike on the Appalachian Trail. We went southbound from Fontana Dam to the NOC, a distance of 30 miles. Did it in 3 1/2 days, 3 nights. We got rained on the second night but we stayed dry. The third night was cold - in the 40s - and it didn't warm up much.

We had a great time and are itching to do another trip. Here's the view from Cheoah Bald.
proxy.php

That is a beautiful section of the AT. Glad you had a good hike. I have a buddy who is a NOBO thru-hiker. Did you run into Sheesh by chance?

OMG!!! I have wanted to this for...I don't know...ever! I am so jealous of you right now. I am assuming you camped at night? Thirty miles in three days is a nice little hike. Beautiful picture by the way. More details please!

That is a beautiful section of the AT. Glad you had a good hike. I have a buddy who is a NOBO thru-hiker. Did you run into Sheesh by chance?

We ran into quite a few NOBO hikers, but did not run into Sheesh. Hope he is doing well.

OMG!!! I have wanted to this for...I don't know...ever! I am so jealous of you right now. I am assuming you camped at night? Thirty miles in three days is a nice little hike. Beautiful picture by the way. More details please!

We did camp at night, using our hammocks. They worked great, even in the rain. We were a little cold the last night, but not too bad. We stayed at the shelters but not in the shelters. We were at Cable Gap Shelter, Brown Fork Gap Shelter, and Sassafrass Gap Shelter. It was a fantastic hike. Had some very steep climbs and sometimes we were scrambling up and over boulders. The rocks were certainly slippery after the rain. The trail was very narrow, more than I expected. We never walked side-by-side, always had to be single file.

If you want any more information, don't hesitate to PM me.

Awesome! Did you see any notable wildlife?

Outside of centipedes, millipedes, and salamanders we did not. No bears, no deer, no snakes.

I miss that part of the AT. I've section hiked the same section you did as well as Fontana north to Newfound Gap and Newfound to Davenport /Bear Creek.

The most scared I've ever been was solo hiking Fontana to Newfound and rounding a bend close to Gregory Bald and encountering a momma bear and two cubs. It was an intense event!

Thanks so much for sharing because you really have brought back some great memories for me!
Avise La Fin

Top Bottom