What's new

Supplements, Vitamins, etc. What are you taking?

What kinds of pills are you popping? What kinds of powders are you vigorously shaking into your beverage of choice?

And perhaps most importantly, why?

I ask because I currently ingest nothing in the way of supplementary vitamins, minerals, nutrients etc.

I do pretty well in terms of getting much of what I need from the foods that I eat, but I have been thinking of picking up the following:

--Vitamin D (for all of the sun that escapes us here in Canada)

--Vitamin C (because I think I could use a bit more)

--Vitamin E (I'm not certain why; I need to research this one)

--Pharmaceutical grade Omega 3s (Because I'm fairly certain that I could use these).

--Protein supplement (I'm on the fence about this one; I'm not sure if I need it. The sense that I get is that it is good for muscle recovery during sleep, and this would be my primary reason for taking it).

I've only just recently (past 6 months) started taking health and fitness stuff seriously, so I'm hoping this thread and your comments will illuminate me to some of the reasons for --and possibly against --taking certain vitamins, supplements, minerals etc.

My ignorance with respect to what kinds of supplements might be of benefit to me is primarily what has prevented me from going out and randomly trying out this and that (which seems to be an ill-advised strategy).

I'm hoping to learn a bit from you may or may not have to say to this end!

Cheers:thumbup1:

As a first question: Can anyone recommend me a decent pharmaceutical grade Omega 3?

I take multivitamin/mineral supplements,
I started taking them when I was working in a fish & chip shop
My staple diet 7 nights a week for 6 months a year at work consisted of any of the following:
battered fish, battered sausages, battered beefburgers and chips - all deep fried in beef dripping
Cornish pasties, steak&onion, steak&kidney, minced beef&onion, chicken&musroom or meat&potato pies
And the closest I came to a healthy option was a burger because it had fresh onions and tomatoes on it !!
In winter I lived on curry, chilli, stew, spaghetti & meatballs, spaghetti bolognese and the occasional steak - all of which was cooked fresh
I started taking the supplements because I knew my diet wasn't particularly healthy- I still take them out of force of habit, besides, as my Doctor told me, my body will use whatever it needs and reject the rest
When I was diagnosed with Avascular Necrosis (inflammation of the blood vessels above the hip joints) 2 years ago I was prescribed Natecal D - Calcium and Vitamin D supplements

I take a multivitamin, fish oil Daily. I try to eat 3 - 4 servings of fresh fruit and vegetables daily.

Protein powder - to help me get my minimum protein requirements
Fish Oil - there are many health benefits to this
Vitamin D - my levels were low, so I starting supplementing this. I get the levels tested twice a year.
Vitamin C
Probioptics - good for GI tract
Psyllium Husk - fiber
Caffeine - I need to stay awake
Melatonin - I need to get to sleep

I take a multi-vit to make sure I'm covered for any nutrients that might be lacking in my diet , Vit D3 because living in London sunlight is not always in abundence , pre & probiotic for healthy gut bacteria , magnesium sterate for good sleep also there's very little in our soil anymore , Omega 3 fish oils for anti-inflammation , Vitamin C cause I'm quite active .

First thing in the morning I drink half a lemon mixed in a saline solution to detoxify the liver and break down the fat lipids more easily and allow them to be distributed evenly throughout the body .

Also I take whey protein powder because I need quite a lot of protein to maintain my bodyweight It would be difficult and time consuming to meet my needs from whole food alone . Creatine Monohydrate is another good research proven supplement if you're weight training it's cheap no need to load or buy any of the fancy esthers either .

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
As we get older, I believe there are various supplements that we can benefit from. I'm 60 and I take several supplements to promote circulatory, heart and brain health. I take DHA, Krill oil, CoQ10, pycnogenol and L-arginine to promote circulation. I also take Magnesium oxide, a multi vitamine, extra B complex and extra Vit C, at least 1000 mg and more if I feel a cold or any other viral illness coming on. So I have very expensive urine! But at least I know I'm getting enough! I also take raw apple cider vinegar daily.

Last edited:
Just picked up Vitamin C and D.

Still debating whether or not I want to try out a protein supplement.

Still on the lookout for a decent Omega 3. Reading lots of reviews as I'm hoping to find something of good quality here.

Still on the lookout for a decent Omega 3. Reading lots of reviews as I'm hoping to find something of good quality here.

Try Eskimo 3 brainsharp or Omega 3 liquid from Poliquin group , I'm in the UK so my links won't be very helpful .

$image_prodprod440156_largeImage_X_450_white.jpg
$k2-_956408b5-0687-480a-838a-ee9d80e55cf5.v1.jpg-67d7dc64fe00fad554d3a50f1d2d1030f4635a93-optim-4.jp

My best press is 420lbs X 2. I can bent over row 350 or so, depending on the day. I haven't taken any supplements for over six years, maybe longer. If you eat enough calories and protein you'll do just fine.

And no, no steroids or growth hormone either...

Vitamin K2 MK-7 100 mcg
Vitamin C 2 X 1 gm
Vitamin D3 2 X 2000 IU
Fish Oil 2 X 1 gm
Magnesium Glycinate 1 X 250 mcg
Probiotics as needed

Top Bottom