What's new

Forgiving DE Blades?

I know Derby is one of the milder blades out there. What are some other ones to check out for a guy just starting up with DE shaving who is still learning his craft?

I don't claim to be an expert by any stretch, but Derbys never did it for me.. I'd try an Astra SP, any Gillette, or any Personna with minimal pressure and a decent razor. Get back to us with results..:thumbup1:

I am still new also, but I don't think there is such a thing as a forgiving blade. Any of them will cut you if you don't respect them. Try as many as you can to find the ones that work best for you. Just pay attention to blade angles and pressure.

YMMV, but IMHO even if Derby blades were free, I'd rather pay a premium to use something else !!

Some of the mildest/smoothest/most forgiving blades I've used are:
Shark Stainless(Egypt)
Gillette 7 O'Clock Green (India)
Astra Superior Platinum (Russia)

Also consider trying out a sampler pack, (the sampler packs from Russian sellers on eBay are good value) use the ones you are most comfortable with for developing your technique.
Any you don't feel comfortable using at first, save them until you've got your technique down to a "T", then try them again at a later date

GSBs for me are the best all-round blade for me and I find them the most comfortable and are certainly sharp enough for most any job.

Ive been with Feather since day 1 (im on day 120'ish now). Ive also tried Lord, Gillette 7 o clock, Shark and some van der hagen blades. I prefer the Feather over all that I have sampled.

I had good luck with Astra SS starting out however I would say GSB are the best all around blade out there. Very sharp yet forgiving.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
It's true that any blade can cut you, but Feather blades will cut you sooner and more often if your technique is not ready for them.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
The most forgiving is Treet DuraSharp.
Next is Personna Red.
Different Rapiras are also mostly forgiving.

Derby is the mildest blade that I use regularly, but only when paired with a mild razor. Gillette Tech, Merkur HD, etc.

AstraSP is the most universal blade I've ever found ... it works well with any razor and any beard condition.

However, you shouldn't rely on just hardware to get a forgiving shave ... work on your technique and learn your beard map, and you'll be able to get a good shave no matter what you're using.

There is no such thing as a forgiving blade. You'll notice that there is quite a bit of difference in the blades that people have recommended. That's because everybody's face is different, their technique is different and their whiskers are different. The same is true for you. Ultimately only you can be the judge of what works best for you. Therefore, the best way to go about that is to try a lot of different blades. In fact, there's a company called tryablade.com that will allow you to buy a small number of blades, including just one. There are a number of places that sell sampler packs as well. Try a large number of blades, see which ones you like and then buy those in bulk.

However, for me these work very well (not in any particular order):
Gillette Super Stainless (light green pack)
Gillette Silver Blue
Personna Lab Blue
Astra SP
Voskhod

Top Bottom