What's new

Williams may not be the greatest soap.

True, you can actually get a really thick and rich lather if you know how. I can get lathers that look and perform like Arko and Cella with Williams now.

Not me, I'm still a newb with Williams lather from a solid puck. I need a good boar brush.
Blue Willy however gives me a great shave.

what's to discuss?

$williams rubberset brandt aqua velva april 24 2016.jpg

A bad lather with Williams can out perform good lathers from some other soaps.

Actually, a bad lather from Williams is pretty normal for most people on their first attempt and it's often unshavable. A good lather is very good, however.

I liked it when I used it, but I got tired of having to really work the lather. I have no hard pucks currently, just creams since they are easier to load and lather. I will cross paths with Williams again for sure. It is a good soap.

I don't get great looking lathers with it. It won't coat my face the same as Tabac and others. That said, I do get very slick lathers that are mainly easy to shave with.

I don't get great looking lathers with it. It won't coat my face the same as Tabac and others. That said, I do get very slick lathers that are mainly easy to shave with.

This is exactly why I say that a bad lather from Williams can out perform good lathers from some other soaps. Williams is still really slick even when the lather is not so good and can therefore still give a good shave. Some other soaps that I have used (*cough* Col. Conk *cough*) don't have enough slickness for me even when the lather is decent.

Not me, I'm still a newb with Williams lather from a solid puck. I need a good boar brush.
Blue Willy however gives me a great shave.

I've had mixed success with Williams. I can get a decent shave with it but the lather I can produce leaves a lot to be desired. I was reading about the Blue Willy the other day so I'm giving it a try. Last night I grated a new puck of Williams and emptied a bottle of AV into a soup bowl. I added half a teaspoon of glycerine as well.

At first it was pretty soupy but by the end of the evening the bulk of the liquid was absorbed/evaporated. I'll stir it up every day or so for next few days until it's stiffened up. The scent was pretty strong last night, but it will be interesting to see how it settles as it dries out.

imcndn

Top Bottom