What's new

Tallow vs Glycerin concerning skin irritation

Does tallow or glycerin cause skin irritation? I'm still exploring soaps, and I'm not sure about this. My skin isn't super-sensitive, but if one type is more likely to cause a rash, I'd like to avoid it before spending any real money.

I use a tallow-based shaving cream (Monsavon bol a raser) and use glycerin soap for cleaning. I have never experienced any irritation, nor heard of either causing any irritation.

However, in the next few days I will transition to Mitchell's Wool Fat soap - I have heard that lanolin can cause irritation for some people. Good luck!

I don't think that's a good comparison. There is essentially no tallow (in "tallow" soaps), because it's essentially completely in a saponified form (i.e. tallowate). Moreover, glycerin is typically present in "tallow" soaps too.
The usual suspect causing irritation is the added fragrance, or some other additive (preservative perhaps, though not very likely).

I don't think that's a good comparison. There is essentially no tallow (in "tallow" soaps), because it's essentially completely in a saponified form (i.e. tallowate). Moreover, glycerin is typically present in "tallow" soaps too.
The usual suspect causing irritation is the added fragrance, or some other additive (preservative perhaps, though not very likely).

+1. Really depends on what is added to a particular product IMO.

I used to suffer from eczema up until about 3 years ago, and I've never had a problem with skin irritation or rashes from any of the following, which all contain either Tallow or Glycerin or both...........
Shaving Sticks
Arko(Turkey), Bea(Spain), Derby(Turkey), De Vergulde Hand(Holland), La Toja(Spain), Lea(Spain), Palmolive(Germany), Tabac Original(Germany)
Hard "Puck" Soaps
Arko(Turkey), Blue's Soap Goat Milk And Animal Fats From New Zealand Shaving Soap(China), Godrej Shaving Round(India), Unbranded Chinese Puck Soap
Soft "Croap" Soaps
Monsavon Bol A Raser(France), Proraso Red, White & Green(Italy)

I don't think the base of the soap is going to be the issue, but, as mentioned, the fragrance or other oils or additives.
I would not make this a concern unless/until you find something you have a reaction to.
Enjoy your explorations!

Top Bottom