What's new

How to parellel park

Did you have a bad experience, Bruce?

I have to park on the street outside of my house. I have to parallel park. My children's school has a very small parking lot. Another need for parallel parking. About half of the times I pull in and it's a perfect job, like a glove. Others, not so much and I end up pulling forward, then back, then forward again, etc. I have no formula for my parallel parking.

It is really not that hard. Just takes a little geometry and skill. Parallel parking is definitely a lost art. At the risk of being labeled as a chauvinist, I'd call it a manly skill and one that every gentleman should have.

I always thought that it was mis-named. I would call it end-to-end parking. To me, parallel parking is like in a car lot where cars are side by side.

I can parallel park a semi. No joke. Used to do it when I delivered to the Bronx and Brooklyn. 48' trailer and a day cab.

Parallel parking is a skill that most avoid, how they get their drivers licences is beyond me, because many if not most drivers have little to no idea where the front bumper is on the car let alone the rear bumper. I can remember having to parallel park in order to qualify for my licence.

I wish I had a Mini.. and could do that...

About 40 years ago a friend of mine was in the Auto-cross club in Tucson. He was pretty good with his 914 but he said the guys with the original Minis could do that handbrake trick and beat them all every time.

Parallel parking is a skill that most avoid, how they get their drivers licences is beyond me, because many if not most drivers have little to no idea where the front bumper is on the car let alone the rear bumper. I can remember having to parallel park in order to qualify for my licence.

I had to parallel-park on a steep hill during my driving test. Never had a problem parallel-parking.

For us non-East coast heathens, on a level from 1 to the 2003 Blackout, how bad was this?

Lots of dirty looks and hand gestures. However, in typical New York/Jersey Metro style, folks just used their vehicles and pushed it out of the way onto the medium. Cops did not issue a ticket and called the construction company to come get their dumpster.

Ok, the semi has me beat, but I used to parallel park a re-outfitted school bus for a band I helped out. It's not that bad really.

It really is something that everyone should know, but then the town I worked in they couldn't even figure out a turning lane. So what did they do? Put in under sized roundabouts. :a52::a52: I'm glad I worked night shift.......

Ok, the semi has me beat, but I used to parallel park a re-outfitted school bus for a band I helped out. It's not that bad really.

It really is something that everyone should know, but then the town I worked in they couldn't even figure out a turning lane. So what did they do? Put in under sized roundabouts. :a52::a52: I'm glad I worked night shift.......

That is still a lot of vehicle in my humble opinion.

If you can't parallel park in the UK, then in most towns you pretty much don't park at all!
Never really thought of it as something unusual to be honest, we just look for a space that looks a little bigger than what we are driving and go for it:biggrin1:

Get a job as a valet. It only takes about a week and you get really good at parallel parking, double parking, and driving a stick shift on steep inclines with only an inch of room between cars.

In Britain to pass your driving test you have to parallel park within a certain distance from the curb (no more! no less!), complete a 3 point turn without using the curb bump as your geospatial position marker, and reverse around a corner. All with live traffic and a driving examiner who looks like he has Napoleonic delusions of grandeur.

In Philadelphia, if you can parallel park inside an off-road space that you could park a space shuttle in, you pass.

Top Bottom