What's new

What do you collect and why ?

One of the best parts of this community, IMHO , is the fellowship and of course , seeing great pictures of razor collections

But , i think it would be interesting if there was one thread where people post the collection focus and maybe why they chose that area.

I know the old adage - collect what you like and i have collected many items over the years , and have seensome incredible passion for their hobby - whether they desire a complete collection or focus on a single area.

I don't think pics are necessary, unless you want to , since they are littered throughout many threads.

I have decided to collect Aristocrat's. Right now , i am working on American models and then the British models. I will probably look to collect the Diplomat/Executive/President at some point.

I think these are some of the best looking razors made, and they are great shavers.

I also think i may dabble in a representative collection of Gillette razors - i don't need every variation , just an overview. With my OCD , this should be a challenge itself. The normal suspects -Fatboy, slim adjustables, SS's , and the pre war models - ranger tech, milord, etc

Let's see, well I collect Gillette razors and Gillette memoribila. I am sticking with the American models however I do have a few British models as well.

At this point I have at least one of each variation all of which are in excellent/fine condistio or better. I am mostly drawn to the earlier (pre WWII)
items.
I think the most difficult or expencive part of this is that I have had to find doubles of many razors so that I could try them out as many of mine have not been used and for the collective end, I would not use them.

Collecting is a great hobby and this is one I can share with my son, it provides good quality time and gives us a common thread for dialoge.

Why Gillette...IMHO they are the best!!!!

I have collected a lot of Gillettes from the early double rings up into the Fatboys. I have both USA and British razors. Also a lot of slant bars. Merkurs, Apollos, Ben Hur and a slue of no name slants. Now I am hung up on straight razors and shaving with them exclusively. I am letting go a lot of my Gillette DE collection except for a few favorites.

G'Day Jimmy,
Will you be selling your Gillettes privately or on EBAY?
Would love a Double ring and look forward to seeing your treasures.
Graeme

Isn't that sorta like NOT sticking with the American models?

Sorry but I couldn't resist- it seemed like something I would say :biggrin:.

-Ray

Ray is as Ray does....:lol::lol::lol:
Seems Ray's think alike.....

BTW, these were sent to me, I did not search them out.

I collect coins as my father shared his joy of coin collecting with me up until his passing two years ago. I now continue to share coin collecting with my little brother, one nephew, one grandson, and a few friends.

My lovely wife thinks I collect ducking hunting items. I do not I just have a lot of stuff which has built up over the 40+ years I've goose and duck hunted.

I have, however, developed a serious RAD for old DE razors and shaving mugs. All the items I buy must be shaveable (is that a word) by that I mean they must be in good enough shape to shave with on a daily bases. Generally, mid-seventies back till whenever. Of course I'm kinda handy at repairing things so that helps. I now plan business trips around back roads and by ways so I can explore shops and flea markets. I have a old zippered money bag hidden (from the wife) in my vehicle with my shopping funds and search list. Part of it is the joy of the hunt, part of it is hoarding something I want, and part of it is the pleasure I receive from shaving with the items I have found.

It would help me if the government would step in and set a season for DE shopping. Being law abiding I would dutifully buy the license and abide by the season dates.

I used to collect a number of things. eBay more or less spoiled all the fun. Part of it for me was the hunt.

The same thing happened with my book collection. It was no longer fun seeking out small used book stores when I could find everything online. So I downsized my book collection to a fraction of what it was.

But there is still one thing I collect: first editions of books by John Crowley.

Coming up is the 25th anniversary of the publication of Little, Big, my favorite book of all time. About 4 years ago a plan was started to publish a special edition of LB. People bought limited editions via Paypal in order to fund the project. I have a numbered edition as well as a trade heading my way (couldn't afford one of the 26 lettered editions--$900!).

The project is finally reaching an end and after waiting for years I can't wait to get my hands on these. Details at http://www.littlebig25.com

I too have collected alot of things over the years: I collection centered around the rock group KISS old pepsi memrobillia from the 30's and 40's and my newest one ofcourse shaving stuff

I collect the Budweiser Holiday Beer Steins. I have most of them and can say none were bought from the bay. I enjoy hunting for them as much as looking at them They are handsome steins).

I keep my eyes open for DE's and shave stuff. Most razors I find are in bad shape and folks wanto $20-$30 for them. I pass them up. I do see a lot of str8ts around but I don't know what to look for so I don't waste my money from an uneducated buy.

I collect double edge shavers. Notice I did not say razors. I use all of my razors... eventually.
proxy.php

but part of having so many great razors is I need to have great consumables to go with them, so it seems I collect that stuff too...

Top Bottom