What's new

Line Dried Laundry

Modern dryers must beat the tar out of fabrics. I imagine them to destroy fibers the way an electric razor mangles whiskers (vs. a straight).

Ha, tied in some shaving with a laundry thread. BONUS! lol

What do you think makes all that lint? Wrecked cloth fibers.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Hard to beat sleeping on sheets that have been dried in the Sun. A fair bit of lint goes down the drain or extracted from the dryer for certain. Mind you beating clothing clean on rocks probably didn't do them any favour either. I have a good chuckle sometimes as some so called survivalists/preppers post pictures of their fire staring kit composed of a striking iron and dryer lint.

Today's "effort"
proxy.php

A thread doesn't come into it's own until there's pictures, we're official!

Our laundry's come and gone already, sunny, hot, dry and very windy today, one of those days where the first items hung were probably dry before the last items made it onto the line. Towels may not be so crunchy today.

dave

Line dried laundry is great until you put on a pair of jeans with a spider in them.
This has occurred to me. Everything gets a good shake before it comes into the house. I mentioned it above, I think, but it's worth the spider risk, given how great jeans come off the line; practically pressed!

My mother used an outdoor clothesline until I was 12. Nothing like that fresh smell of sun-dried laundry. That is a lost pleasure these days.

This has occurred to me. Everything gets a good shake before it comes into the house. I mentioned it above, I think, but it's worth the spider risk, given how great jeans come off the line; practically pressed!

Around here stink bugs seem to enjoy hitching rides on line dried clothes, haven't had spider issues yet.
dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Line dried laundry is great until you put on a pair of jeans with a spider in them.

I keep my lawn mowing shoes in the garage. I always tap them out before putting them on due to the possibility of a brown recluse. A black widow will make you sick, but brown recluse will mess you up big time. You could loose big chunks of flesh due to their poison.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Haven't had a dryer for 20+years , wintertime can be a chore, however
we do not miss the drying machine at all.
We do have an electric dryer, but my wife and I only use it to fluff the clothes, then hang em up, she more than I. Once it gets too cold for the line, we hang em around the living room and let the wood stove dry em up. Wifey gets mad about the unmentionables hanging from the ceiling fan when company drops by, I just tell em if they don't like it, don't come back.... The house is paid for since before Clinton left office, mostly because I hate debt and like wood heat. That, and I'm cheap! I mean frugal, lol.

I return to update with a laundry hazard I hadn't considered. If you look at the pic on post #29, you can see there is mulch up against some decking underneath my lines. Wow, do hornets love to make nests under decking abutting mulch! They were issuing from and returning to the nest like little fighter pilots. I didn't get stung, but I don't need laundry to become another stressful activity to deal with during the day. So I waited for a cool morning and emptied a can of foaming hornet killer into the nest.

There are also paper wasps nests underneath the visible eaves in the pic, but the birds take care of these (eventually).

I know lint-caused dryer fires are a hazard, but I didn't think a clothes line could get so challenging.

Enjoy your Sundays, gents, and attending to all that must be attended to (or not) . . . .

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I work second shift, so I get to bed late. I find the best time to kill a nest is at 2 AM or so. I have killed literally thousands of wasps over the last 5 years, and have never been stung.

Top Bottom