What's new

Natural brush allergies?

I was reading through a couple other posts and noted some people have reactions to the scented parts of some soap.

Well, I am horribly allergic to furry animals. To the point that cats can put me in a hospital for a couple days if I am not careful.

So, is it possible my boar brush has enough dander and oils left in it that I get a reaction from it on my skin? Has anyone else had this happen?

What should I look for in a synthetic brush? Any recommendations on good ones to look for?

Thanks

Can't answer your question in regards to the dander left behind of a badger or boar. But just head over to italian barber and buy a razorock sythetic. Or buy a maggards synthetic. You can't go wrong.

Honestly, I think if you got a used brush (badger or boar) that was already broken in you would be fine. Or you can thoroughly clean a new one. BUT is it worth the risk? If you are that allergic I would be pretty cautious (have an epi pen on hand).
You would obviously be safer with a synthetic. Lots of good options:
Plisson
Razorock
Shave revolution
Stirling Kong
Whipped dog
AMACK
And many others... you might even grab 2 synthetics since they are so affordable to see how you like the differences (backbone, knot size, etc)
Good luck!

I was reading through a couple other posts and noted some people have reactions to the scented parts of some soap.

Well, I am horribly allergic to furry animals. To the point that cats can put me in a hospital for a couple days if I am not careful.

So, is it possible my boar brush has enough dander and oils left in it that I get a reaction from it on my skin? Has anyone else had this happen?

What should I look for in a synthetic brush? Any recommendations on good ones to look for?

Thanks

Spot on. Modern synthetic brushes lack nothing in performance.

Can't answer your question in regards to the dander left behind of a badger or boar. But just head over to italian barber and buy a razorock sythetic. Or buy a maggards synthetic. You can't go wrong.

I recently procured a Whipped Dog synthetic brush, the large caliber one.

It is a definitively different experience. My neck doesn't itch and burn while shaving. Now it waits for the stypic pencil to burn.

Also of note that the badger brush, while soft and smooth feeling creates more itchiness than the boar brush.

After a few days of the synthetic and switching back to the badger once, I am fairly certain I have ruled out the psychosomatic factors.

Dander would be quickly washed off, likely during manufacture, I would think. Oils should soon be washed away, too. Has your boar caused an allergic reaction?

It does, but not as bad as the badger. I would have thought the danders and proteins would have washed away quickly too. It may well be the hair itself. I can't wear fur or use down bedding due to allergies.

I am glad we have modern polymers!

It does, but not as bad as the badger. I would have thought the danders and proteins would have washed away quickly too. It may well be the hair itself. I can't wear fur or use down bedding due to allergies.

I am glad we have modern polymers!

With all of the good synthetics available, maybe it's not worth it to use anything else. Enjoy your shaves!

Great to hear [MENTION=109860]Ivanstein[/MENTION]! I'm glad you've experimented and have seen results. While allergies like this aren't common, that doesn't make them less significant for the people that have to deal with them. Now we've got a great thread that can certainly help others. Thank you for sharing!

I have a Muhle synthetic and it's THE BOMB!

Top Bottom