What's new

What next for me?

I have the Shavemac #177 23mm D01 Silvertip Badger
And as much as it is a very nice one, I am thinking about upgrading, to get something "high-end" and mostly bigger (I find it to be a little too little for me)

I guess I want something in the 25-28 knot size, with best silvertip badger hair, I mostly (almost 100%) use creams

What do you think I should look at?

Many of us would consider a Shavemac D01 to be a high end brush. I guess the best place to start would be to ask a few questions. Besides the size, what don't you like about your current brush? What attributes are you looking for in a new brush? What is your budget for a new brush?

I want a brush to be bigger, for me the Shavemac is a little on the small size
Also
I prefer tips that are softer, I love creams and want something soft over my face, and that will hold ton of water and cream

Why not a Shavemac silvertip (not DO1), or a 2 Band silvertip. Or if you want something special, contact Rudy Vey and have him make you a custom brush using a Shavemac knot. Shavemac brushes/knots are very soft and pretty high end hairs. These would seem ideal especially since you are using creams.

Or another idea would be a Thater 3 band silvertip. An absolute cream puff of a brush.

Last edited:
Isn't the D01 better than the usual Silvertip? also the 2 band is much stiffer, not?

and I just think this brush is a little to small to my liking

Isn't the D01 better than the usual Silvertip? also the 2 band is much stiffer, not?

and I just think this brush is a little to small to my liking

I've never tried the DO1, but have always read that it has incredible backbone. That seems to be the consensus. To me, the 2 band has more backbone than the 3 band, but I would not consider it incredible backbone. The 2 band has nice backbone with super soft tips. I am not a fan of a super stiff brush and therefore have never had the urge to try the DO1.

I've never tried the DO1, but have always read that it has incredible backbone. That seems to be the consensus. To me, the 2 band has more backbone than the 3 band, but I would not consider it incredible backbone. The 2 band has nice backbone with super soft tips. I am not a fan of a super stiff brush and therefore have never had the urge to try the DO1.

I guess we are the same, I prefer less stiff brushes

You are in a bit of a pickle. You don't like backbone but dislike floppy. Then your D01 3-BAND is not soft enough for you. Two knots you may want to try are the Simpson Chubby 2 in best, and the Shavemac 2-band Silvertip with a 26 mm or greater knot and a higher than usual loft. You could seek knot dimension recommendations from either Rudy Vey or Bernd. Normally people prefer the Shavemac set at a 2:1 ratio or less for greater backbone, but you could go higher for a softer effect.

The Chubby will give you the size you like with less backbone and very soft, but the tips may be not quite as soft as your D01.

As your attorney, I'd advise you to get both.

I am a big Simpson's fan! However, I prefer 22-24 (roughly) knots.

Based on your description, there are a number of options depending on your preference in handles, hair and bodget: chubby, polo, fifty series, etc.

You might also consider a custom brush from someone like Rudy Vey.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
It's hard to upgrade from a Shavemac. You can look for a larger Shavemac in 2-band Silvertip. Very soft tips without being floppy at all, but not so much backbone that it turns scritchy. Simpson Chubby 2/3 in Best or Super might also fit the bill. Rudy Vey does wonders with Shavemac knots and you can get a truely unique handle

I Would suggest looking at the DaVinci Uomo 290. Great brush. Super Soft and Size is in the range your looking for.

The only ones i can think of that are more "high end" are Simpson chubby super, Thater, shavemac 2 band silvertip. But i dont have a simpson super or thater, but shavemac 2 band silvertip is supersoft with a ton of backbone, it really is a special hair.

Wish west coast shaving hold a shavemac at silvertip 2 band at size 26mm or a like (they only have 23mm)

The only ones i can think of that are more "high end" are Simpson chubby super, Thater, shavemac 2 band silvertip. But i dont have a simpson super or thater, but shavemac 2 band silvertip is supersoft with a ton of backbone, it really is a special hair.

Whenever I want to purchase a Shavemac, I just can not decide if I should pull the trigger on a D01 3-band or a silvertips 2-band.

Top Bottom