What's new

Which Blade Next?

I have been DE wet shaving for a couple months now and I have moved through the following test progression on blades:

Feather - GSB - Derby - Shark Super Chrome - Polsilver Super Iridium

I loved the Sharks and GSBs, but hated the Feathers and Derbys. I may come back to the Feathers after my skill level improves. Only one shave so far on the Polsilvers.

I have lined up for trial:

7 O'Clock Greens, Asta SP, Gillette Platinums, Personna Reds, Personna Lab Blues, Wilkenson Swords (Germany), Voskhods.

Which of my future line up is likely to work for me, considering my experience above? And what have I missed?

From what you have, I'd go with the Voskhods or the Red Personnas. Personally, you owe it to yourself to try the Personna Med Preps, they're incredibly smooth and long lasting. Perma Sharp Supers in the copper box along with Bolzanos are really nice also IMO.

I've got no experience with Gillette Platinum, Personna Red or Personna Lab Blue

German Wilkinson Sword are one of my all time favourite blades - very sharp, also smooth and comfortable
Indian made Gillette 7 O'Clock Green are also some of my favourite blades, sharp, smooth and comfortable - if yours are Russian made I haven't tried them and can't give feedback
Astra SP are good blades, they're fairly sharp, smooth and comfortable
Voskhod are smooth, and fairly forgiving

I'd try those 4 in this order...
1, Astra
2, Voskhod
3, Gillette 7
4, Wilkinson Sword

Then try the other 3 afterwards

PS- Even if Derby blades were free, I'd pay double to use something decent !!

I'd say that since the days when you started shaving with the Feathers, you might want to return to them again for a new test drive. Perhaps you've become better in your shave technique and with an ultimate sharp blade, you might now experience a super smooth shave and overcome shavimg nicks.

Thanks to all.

I did not know that the 7 O'Clock Greens had two countries of origin. Also, I do plan to come back to Feathers at some point. I made the mistake of trying them too early in my wet shaving career.

I LOVE the 7'oclock green Russian
Seem to be (for me anyway) equal to or maybe slightly better than the GSB which I also love.

Like you I like the GSB (never tried a polsilver) and wasn't a huge fan of Derby/Feather.

Right now I really like the Personna Reds, probably my favourite blade I have tried so far.

Tough call!

You have several of my top 5 on deck: Astra SP, Personna reds, Personna labs and Wilkinson swords (German) are all excellent IMO!

Brazilian Gillette Platinum Plus (not sure if those are the Gillette Platinums in question), the only downside is the cost as they are only really on Walgreens and CVS so it is 5.99 for nine blades but they get you at the least a week of BBS or very good DFS from my experience and those of others on here...

Top Bottom