What's new

Help choose lather bowl

I am new to wet shaving and am already hooked. I have been using a mug to whip lather in and am wanting to get a better bowl. I'm looking at the Captains Choice lather bowl and like what I see. But, is it worth the price? I do love the look and can't decide between gunmetal or cobalt (when they come back in stock!). Is it worth the plunge? I hear it really whips soaps fast, even hard soaps.

I use a bowl I love from Utilemud on Etsy. Nice bright colors; mine is red with a lavender interior. A pleasant change from the usual oatmeal coloring of lots of handmade ceramics. It has with just enough grooves to help lather production. (You can see it in my avatar pic.)

My most convenient lather bowl is one of the Turkish variety, make of copper and plated on the inside. It hangs from a hook. It is light. It builds and contains a lather. If it drops, it does not break.

I've used $2 walmart salsa bowls, cheap bowls from the grocery store, and the Fine Lather bowl. I can make lather just about anywhere in anything, but I really like the Fine lather bowl. It's easy to hold and its the perfect size for me.

The Fine Lather bowl is a tiny bit wider and a tiny bit higher than the standard captains choice bowl, and it has a handle and brush rest.

It's at least worth putting on your list of potentials. I think it's a couple bucks cheaper as well. I'm sure the captains choice is choice as well :)

proxy.php

I have this one...very nice.

I will say I am eyeing the CC one as well...

I've used $2 walmart salsa bowls, cheap bowls from the grocery store, and the Fine Lather bowl. I can make lather just about anywhere in anything, but I really like the Fine lather bowl. It's easy to hold and its the perfect size for me.

The Fine Lather bowl is a tiny bit wider and a tiny bit higher than the standard captains choice bowl, and it has a handle and brush rest.

It's at least worth putting on your list of potentials. I think it's a couple bucks cheaper as well. I'm sure the captains choice is choice as well :)

proxy.php

I have two captains choice bowls. The regular sized blue and the gunmetal gray large. Love them both. I'm a face latherer 70% of the time. But when I do bowl lather, they work ridiculously well. Definitely worth the money.

The best bowl I've found so far only cost me €2,95 in a Chinese shop
It is the bowl from a white ceramic mortar & pestle set
It's nice and heavy so it won't float when I'm warming it in a sink full of water
It's porous so it retains the heat and keeps my lather nice and warm
It's roughened on the inside so it makes lather very quickly

attachment.php

I've also got a Turkish copper shaving mug on order from eBay, I hear they're very good too

proxy.php

The Captain's Choice Bowl is great. I have both sizes. They are easy to hold and do lather great. I don't bowl lather often, but when I do I use the CC bowl.

The best bowls I've used thus far is my face!

If you haven't tried face lathering I'd give it a shot before you drop coin on a lather bowl

My most convenient lather bowl is one of the Turkish variety, make of copper and plated on the inside. It hangs from a hook. It is light. It builds and contains a lather. If it drops, it does not break.

+1

Here's mine with a mound of Williams in it.

$IMG_20150804_163639537.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I've got a rather good one, but.

You're going to have to find another crashed flying saucer to get one ...

Dimpled, and meant to be held by the left hand while lathering with the right.

AA

Last edited by a moderator:
If your finances allow, give consideration to Georgetown Pottery's scuttles. Their factory 2nd units quite good--I love mine. sorry for the slightly blurry picture.

From looks and probably comfort I'd certainly buy a Captain's Choice, and it would definitely be in Gunmetal. The bowl itself doesn't matter in making lather, so buy for whatever reason. As many as I've bought, I can't beat the one I paid a whole nickel for two years ago!

My current favorite is a big ceramic bowl from World Market. The angle of the sides is perfect and it's got a pattern inside for friction. If I ever upgrade it's going to be to a scuttle.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
This is mine! Looks great and lathers like a champ!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 108
Top Bottom