What's new

Any Love For Colonel Conk?

While digging around the other day, I found a puck of Almond soap that I received several years ago with a shaving bowl, and since my cup was almost empty, I put this in. I'm an Arko man, but honestly, this stuff is not too bad. Do any of you use this brand on a regular basis?

I have used it as a travel soap and gave it a 6/10 I believe. I thought for the price I couldn't go wrong but I have rarely used it since. I think the general consensus on here is that Col Conk is horrible however I need to try it a few more times before coming to my own conclusions.

I've been mixing it with a tube of Arko cream, and the results are good for me. I will not be buying any more, just wondering if anyone here uses the stuff.

It was my second soap purchase. I can make it work but just prefer tallow I've learned. Although one of my favorite chemistry experiments was the conk amber and proraso red.I love that mix! As a matter of fact I will do that tomorrow.

A Col Conk almond cake has been pretty much my only lather for about a year now. The puck is just a smear at the bottom of my soap dish at the moment. It's not that the soap lasts a long time and more that I've been sporting stubble or beard more often this year.

I like it. It's soap I could live for life with. Palmolive, Arko, MWF and now this have been long term shaving soaps for me.

I don't think it's likely to instantly bowl anyone over in performance if they buy it and try it. Many soaps and creams have bowled me over in performance instantly and then irritated me in a variety of ways when used regularly over a long period of time. This is a daily driver in my opinion, that takes a little getting to know.

I don't have any intention of buying it again as I've lived with it for a year, it was nice, but there are other fish in the sea.

I really like the Conk Almond. I usually put original Noxema on my face as a preshave, and mix in a few drops of glycerine while working my lather, and I get great results once the brush hits my face. I didn't care much for the lime though.

I have had three pucks of Col Conk and have come to the same conclusion on all three. While I can get a good shave...scratch that...I can get a great shave, it doesn't posses the qualities of a soap I want. Post shave feel being chief among them. What I anded up using it as, was a pre-shave. The Col Conk soap is an exceptional pre-shave!

It's ok. I have a bunch I will have to use at some point. It doesn't help that I have hard water. For the price, it's a great value and it will give a great shave, but I like almost everything else better.

I have used the lime and the amber. I didn't like the lime although I liked the scent. It didn't perform well for me. The amber is a bit better, but I end up putting some Kiss My Face unscented in the bowl with it to get decent performance. I have a puck of the almond and the bay rum waiting to be used, but I am not sure if I want to or not. I have better soaps that are sitting currently unused in my den which I would rather shave with.

I got a bay rum in a PIF and tried it recently. It's not terrible by any means, seemed a bit oily or something but got a good shave. Interesting scent. I decided to keep it for now and melted it into one of my containers with a little bit of mama bear ye old barbershop.

Col Conk didnt receive from me a postive review like all glycerine soaps. I want vegan, tallow or whatever soap salt.
So in the end IMO It's a honest glycerin soap but miss some and lose some basics like not good post shave.

I think the general consensus on here is that Col Conk is horrible...

Agreed.

My first purchase was the 4-puck sampler. While I've finished both Lime and Bay Rum, my preference is Bay Rum and Almond.

Having said this, I dislike them as an introduction to wet-shaving and reintroduction to shaving after a 5+ year hiatus. If only I had known about my daily driver Tabac from the get-go, ...

I won't bother finishing the Almond nor Amber and should probably PIF them.

Conk was one of the first soaps I purchased. They get the job done but as far as melt and pour soaps go, I like Honeybee and Mama Bear's soaps much better.

Ahhh good old Col. Conk. Was included in my very first round of soaps when I got into the "hobby". As mentioned before, it's just "OK". Nothing special, smells alright (lime was my fave) and does a decent enough job with building lather. There are a large number of soaps and creams that I have higher regard for, but it's not the worst out there. I just couldn't see myself using it ever again given all of the choices that we have now.

Top Bottom